• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(Not on ME/CFS-specifically) "High-Intensity Exercise, Heat, and Endotoxemia"

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Disassembly of intestinal tight junction proteins is thought to occur due to the rapid breakdown of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) to adenosine monophophate (AMP) in intestinal cells. This causes a release of hydrogen peroxide, a potent free radical and disruptor of intestinal tight junction proteins.
Isn't breakdown of ATP to AMP hypothesized to occur in ME/CFS? I wonder if it always causes a release of hydrogen peroxide.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Medina said:
One HSP in particular, HSP70, prevents the breakdown of the tight junction protein occludin. It also protects intestinal cells from hydrogen peroxide and damage caused by low cellular oxygen.

this is a HSP which has been fingered in ME/CFS in a small study (Jammes, but not Thambirajah)