• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How long does it take for worsening neuro symptoms to improve?

A few people here and several people online have mentioned that neurological symptoms (like burning and tingling) worsened after starting a B12 protocol. How long did it take for this to improve for you? I think my symptoms may take longer to improve as they are my primary problem, but I'd love to have some kind of benchmark.

Red04

With my wife it took maybe 5-6 weeks before it all calmed down. She had weird intensity of nerves and shooting sensations through her arms and I don't remember all what else. I think it would depend on how fast you titrate up and get everything going and of course your individual disposition.

arx

I had major neurological sensations like buzzing,tingling throughout my body and majorly in my spine and head. They increased initially but reduced after say, 4 to 5 months of taking B12 and cofactor supplements. I think it's different for everyone. I still have them,but they're far better than what they initially were..

Acetyl Carnitine spiked up the symptoms more,but I had to leave it as I couldn't tolerate it.

Find your own cocktail and be patient :)

xchocoholic

Supplements never helped my neuro symptoms but eliminating my food and chemical intolerances did. I think I remember that Dr. Wahls explains this. If not other functional doctors do. TC ... x

Thanks so much for these responses. I have finally figured out through experimentation that the new and worsened neuro symptoms I have are the result of low potassium. Potassium chloride is how physicians treat it (the other forms, including food sources) don't increase serum potassium. I can decrease my symptoms by drinking a LOT of homemade Gatorade made with NoSalt, but it sickens me to have so much of it all day long. I tried taking capsules of it and created the worst heartburn ever. Turns out even the Slow K you can be prescribed (that has a protective coating) can burn holes in your GI tract.

I'm seeing a doctor in a week and will probably need another week to get blood tests back. I hope I can get some advice about how to proceed. I don't know if taking miniscule amounts of B12 would minimize hypokalemia or not. I must have (had) megaloblastic anemia and had low potassium to begin with because my reaction is very unusual. I will report back what I learn in case it can help someone else.

I have found numerous medical articles on the treatment of hypokalemia that say potassium chloride is the treatment. But if the others work for you, that's great!

I'm still waiting on a doctor's appointment, but I think I finally know what was going wrong. I must be iron deficient, too. I did take some iron, but 1/3 the recommended dose. This is preventing the B12 from correcting the anemia. Apparently the hypokalemia that I've been experiencing should only last four days. But because the anemia remains, so does the hypokalemia. I may need to build up my iron stores before taking B12 again. Hoping for help from the doc.