• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Swanson Ultra Methylcobalamin Vitamin B12

pela

I tried that brand and felt absolutely nothing, even when I took ten at a time.
I still like Webber Naturals Methylcobalamin. Anyone else tried it yet?

L'engle

moogle
I didn't think much of the webber. Maybe if you only need a small amount it's worthwhile but I saw almost nothing from it.

Ah that's disappointing! It's really hard to find one that was as good as Jarrow. I wish Enzymatic Therapy did a 5000 mcg lozenge. That would solve all my problems.

Mij

Ah that's disappointing! It's really hard to find one that was as good as Jarrow. I wish Enzymatic Therapy did a 5000 mcg lozenge. That would solve all my problems.

I've written their company and requested that they make 5000mcg and include more tablets per bottle. They thanked me for the suggestion.

jeffrez

I've written their company and requested that they make 5000mcg and include more tablets per bottle. They thanked me for the suggestion.

Seriously. They use this huge plastic bottle, with enough tablets to barely cover the bottom. It's ridiculous. Hope they take your suggestions.

jeffrez

I used to get palpitations from Jarrow 5mg. and I still get palpitations from Jarrow 5mg. Have you tried it lately? I think the "quality" concerns were a bit overblown, tbh, except perhaps in people who require huge amounts beyond 5-10mg a day.

Lou

I got nothing from the Webber product, either, other than headaches. I may try Jarrow again even though there's no question in my mind that it's effectiveness nosedived somewhere around Spring of 2012.

cph13

I have not tried Swanson. I have tried life extension m12. It set me BACK a month. I wouldn't recommend it. Enzymatic is still IMO the best....FOR MYSELF and my issues.
Happy Healing

cph13

Is it usual to feel some effect? Or only for those with a pronounced deficiency?

Hi Sherlock, I've had friends take Enzymatic m12 and so far everyone has had some sort of pleasant effect. No pronounced deficiency is necessary.
Have a great day!

pela

I got nothing from the Webber product, either, other than headaches. I may try Jarrow again even though there's no question in my mind that it's effectiveness nosedived somewhere around Spring of 2012.

So funny. I still get euphoria just about every time I take Webber B12. Either we are all different or I don't know what I'm talking about!

Lotus97

There's a thread about Jarrow's drop in quality. People can read through it and decide for themselves:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/jarrow-did-it-change.18154/

Swanson's was on sale for half price so I bought a bottle. On sale it was 10 times cheaper (per mg) than Enzymatic Therapy. Maybe I'll try comparing it to Enzymatic Therapy since I have both, but I'm mostly taking hydroxy at the moment. I just started methylfolate (and also Buhner's Lyme protocol) so I'm not going to do any other tests right now.

LaurieL

I have tried the swansons. To me, it reminds me of what Freddd cautioned, improper handling of methyl b and it will turn into hydroxy. It tastes and smells like hydroxy to me.

I have to rely on other people to tell me which brand is the best as I am not in any way sensitive to b12. Which is weird because when I was first tested by my doctor my b12 was very low at 52.

It is a low level! When I first found this site I thought all my problems were solved. However, I've been on Fred's protocol for over a year now and I still get terrible brain fog and tiredness.

Thanks for the link to your thread. I will check it out.

arx

Same here. Some of my symptoms improved with B12..many didn't. Even I am stuck ...

Lotus97

I have tried the swansons. To me, it reminds me of what Freddd cautioned, improper handling of methyl b and it will turn into hydroxy. It tastes and smells like hydroxy to me.

Since hydroxocobalamin is significantly more expensive (per mg) than Swanson's methylcobalamin I'd have to say that's a pretty sweet deal (if it were actually true). Maybe the quality is degraded somehow, but I don't know how it could turn into hydroxocobalamin. And I also don't know how you could tell by smelling or tasting it since pretty much every brand adds flavors to their sublingual lozenges.