• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme results for my son

vgorilla

Trust my doctor?
My three-year-old son has been on a whole host of supplements from our doctor, including b-complex, b12 shot, phostphadylcholine, methylfolate, dmg, aminos, zinc, c, fish oil, d, NAC, l-carnitine. She recommended that based on Nutrival FMV results being completely out of range (most of them). OAT test was likewise completely abnormal. Hair test shows lead, so will start DMSA soon.

Supplements don't seem to make much difference, other than the b12 giving him a big burst of energy. Biggest difference is cutting out casein, gluten, and processed food.

Concerned about over-methylation and sulfer. Any additional help interpreting these results is much appreciated.

Attachments

• Sam Methylation & Detox Results.jpg
    Sam Methylation & Detox Results.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 17

Valentijn

My three-year-old son has been on a whole host of supplements from our doctor, including b-complex, b12 shot, phostphadylcholine, methylfolate, dmg, aminos, zinc, c, fish oil, d, NAC, l-carnitine. She recommended that based on Nutrival FMV results being completely out of range (most of them). OAT test was likewise completely abnormal. Hair test shows lead, so will start DMSA soon.

Supplements don't seem to make much difference, other than the b12 giving him a big burst of energy. Biggest difference is cutting out casein, gluten, and processed food.

Concerned about over-methylation and sulfer. Any additional help interpreting these results is much appreciated.
Based on these results, B12 and folate really aren't an issue, unless actual lab results say otherwise - the shots shouldn't be necessary and he'd probably rather avoid those anyhow :p Vitamin D3 supplementation may still help a bit due to the VDR, and I think is generally recommended for small children anyhow since they tend not to get enough UVB. Fish oil should be pretty harmless as long as the dose isn't too high (or coming from fish liver), and it can help with inflammation if that's a problem.

To avoid the energy burst, sublingual hydroxyB12 could be a better option. He should be capable of converting that into active forms of B12 as needed, and then wouldn't be at risk of over-methylating.

The CBS might be a problem, but again, not an extreme one. If it is a problem, supplementing too much NAC might be contra-indicated, due to adding to a possible excess of too much cystathionine byproducts. But on the other hand, NAC can help with glutamate issues. One way to resolve the issue could be with sulfur urine strips, to see if too much sulfur is being produced, in which case the NAC supplementation probably needs to be re-evaluated.

I'm guessing your son is autistic, not ME? In ME at least I would watch out for elevated zinc, but I'm not sure if that's as much of a problem in autism. From what I can recall, getting zinc too high can cause copper to be too low in the blood cells, even if things look normal in serum or whole blood - something to do with a binding mechanism that gets triggered by elevated zinc but prefers to bind copper.

Not much info is available regarding which drugs are affected by CYP1B1 genotypes, but there's a nice list of "substrates" and "inhibitors" which may cause problems due to CYP2D6 at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP2D6

GSTP1 may indicate a problem in using and/or reducing glutathione for detoxing certain substances. It's not a problem I'm familiar, so I have no idea what the treatments for that would be, other than avoiding toxins :rolleyes:

Supplementing and/or eating antioxidants may help compensate for any problems with SOD2.

vgorilla

Trust my doctor?
Valentijn,
Thanks for the detailed feedback. No autism dx yet, but has traits. Sulfer test strips in the 1200 range.