• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any other members with monocytosis (elevated monocytes)?

svetoslav80

My only clinical finding from blood work is that I have elevated monocytes. After I've been said by two doctors "not to look at it" I have completely forgotton about it. Now I remembered, and I'm suspecting that except my chronic prostatitis , this monocytosis may also be related to my chronic fatigue. I searched google and found certain conditions that cause monocytosis. What I want to know though, is if monocytosis can also be present in healthy people. Can it be used as a marker for disease alone? I really don't know if I had it before I got sick. I didn't have a reason to make any blood tests then. If there are any doctors reading this and want to share their knowledge, it will be really useful. Or if you're a patient with monocytosis, please write a row in this thread for the record.

Full blood count from 18 June 2011 :
attachment.php

Attachments

• monocytes.png
    monocytes.png
    36 KB · Views: 847

Lotus97

Yeah. Mine was 11.0% recently. My reference range was different though. It was 0-7.0%. I'm not sure if that matters. My eosinophils were elevated in the past along with my monocytes, but now my eosinophils are in normal range while my monocytes are higher than the past. I assumed they'd both follow the same pattern. My test also says monos, absolute 0.7 - is that the same as mono# ? Also, does anyone know what any of this means. I have Lyme disease so I assume it's from that, but I'd still like to know more.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Yeah. Mine was 11.0% recently. My reference range was different though. It was 0-7.0%. I'm not sure if that matters. My eosinophils were elevated in the past along with my monocytes, but now my eosinophils are in normal range while my monocytes are higher than the past. I assumed they'd both follow the same pattern. My test also says monos, absolute 0.7 - is that the same as mono# ? Also, does anyone know what any of this means. I have Lyme disease so I assume it's from that, but I'd still like to know more.
1) Yes, docs won't get too excited about being only slightly out of range, especially without soe dramatic added symptoms. Svetoslav's wouldn't alarm a doc.
2) Yes, the same. If various leukocyte counts rise, that's different than an isolated rise in monocytes. So both % and absolute numbers are measured.

It's very complicated, but generally, a rise (expansion) in which cells points to what infection:
neutrophils = bacteria and fungus
lymphocytes = virus
eosinophils = parasites

a virus scan lower neut and platelet counts; monocytes are like precursor cells that turn into macrophages that are like army generals co-ordinating other cells, monocytes can turn into other things; taking a corticosteroid will increase neuts because they leave marrow etc where they were compartmented in order to fight the perceived threat; nothing is simple

it'd be best to look at any infectious agent and see what the typical pattern in a CBC results from it

and svetoslav80

Lotus97

Monocytes are like precursor cells that turn into macrophages
I just read in Buhner's book, Healing Lyme, that macrophages cause an increase in reactive oxygen species (ROS). This in itself isn't a good thing, but then ROS can cause more quinolic acid (QUIN) to be generated and QUIN is a neurotoxin (also not good).

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I just read in Buhner's book, Healing Lyme, that macrophages cause an increase in reactive oxygen species (ROS). This in itself isn't a good thing, but then ROS can cause more quinolic acid (QUIN) to be generated and QUIN is a neurotoxin (also not good).
Once phagocytes engulf a pathogen, then what to do with it? They kill it with a substance that's very much like bleach - which is the ROS. Extra vit C helps neutralize the ROS from neutrophils.

Sometimes, the pathogen uses strategems to prevent the bombardment by ROS, so it therefore survives and thrives as an intracelluar bacteria like IIRC tuberculosis.

A.B.

I had mildly elevated monocytes several times in my complete blood count. According to my doctor it doesn't mean anything.

Lotus97

I had mildly elevated monocytes several times in my complete blood count. According to my doctor it doesn't mean anything.
With monocytes and your case it might be true, but sometimes doctors are unaware of things. Especially if the reference ranges of tests are skewed. I've found this out with thyroid and iron tests.

A.B.

With monocytes and your case it might be true, but sometimes doctors are unaware of things. Especially if the reference ranges of tests are skewed. I've found this out with thyroid and iron tests.

I didn't say that I agree with my doctor ;)

It obviously has some meaning when it's a consistent finding, I just don't know what it means.