• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A1298c + other SNPs, hypothyroid + AF: BH4 and tyrosine / l-tyrosine

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone here with any or all of these SNPs (A1298c homozygous /A1298c C677t compound heterozygous; homo or hetero ACAT; ACE; ANCY; BHMT; CBS; COMT; MAO A; MTR/MTRR; NOS; SHMT; SUOX; VDR taq), Hashimoto's (or simply hypothyroid) and AF, takes l-tyrosine with any success. It is something I, as someone with Hashimoto's, AF and seemingly likely above mutations (going by symptoms alone, mind; I am waiting on a test kit from Dr. Yasko) should consider taking in the future? If so, at what stage in the treatment protocol - i.e. is it unsafe to start taking them beforecompleting Yasko's protocol of SHMT/ACAT, CBS, MTHFR, MTR /MTRR, BHMT, MAO A, SUOX, NOS, VDR?

Dr Ben says, in response to two questions:
"MTHFR is related to thyroid disorders because of BH4.
Methylfolate is needed to produce biopterin which is needed to convert tyrosine into active neurotransmitters and thyroid hormones...."
"Since dopamine supports speech, it makes sense that MTHFR 1298 may be an issue here as her methylfolate levels are likely low thereby causing a deficiency of BH4 which in turn limits conversion of tyrosine to dopamine."

Obviously I am not going to start taking them before my results arrive, which I estimate will take around 3 months, but I am simply wondering what anyone else thinks.

roxie60

So low BH4 can affect speech? I have frequently had issues with speech, fumbling for words, not just recall but actually saying a word that was not the word I was thinking. Bizzaro body. I am hetero MTHFR 1298 and have a number of the SNPs you list but I only had one instance of T3/T4 showing any issue, next time tested it was within range so thyroid excluded. I font know my SUOX or NOS, wish I did. Aggravating tat 23andME doesn't report those SNPs. Anyone know if all of us could petition them to report on this SNP and update our chips? Really before we could do this we would have to know th rs# and no one seems to know which rs# is related to the Yasko SNPs. I thought Dr. Ben admitted not understanding the impact of MTHFR 1298 mutations???

maryb

iherb code TAK122
My thyroid results were just in range - TSH - highish - but going off my symptoms my private doc has prescribed, selenium, l-tyrosine and iodine. these suppot the thyroid rathe than replace the hormone

UPDATE

I have since had my UAA/UEE (urinary amino acids/ essential elements) results and I am low to severely low in virtually every amino acid (which, together with my diagnosis of hyperammoneia, seems to confirm CBS+, NOS+ and SUOX+) save tryptophan and tyrosine, which are mid-range high (in the 84th percentile). Apparently this means I am not converting these, which effectively confirms the A1298c SNP :( So to answer my own question: no, I cannot take l-tyrosine or l-tryptophan, because I lack the BH4 to convert them. And I cannot make the BH4 because I have no methylfolate, but I cannot take methylfolate because it is a methyl and sulfur donor :grumpy: .

To those who responded to me, apologies for the super late reply.

roxie, I guess it can cause those problems. I have the exact same ones. I don't know if Dr. Ben said he didn't fully understand the A1298c SNP. I personally haven't heard him say that, but that may be because I perhaps haven't read his website as extensively as you.

maryb, how are you faring now? I take 300% RDA selenium tincture daily but it makes no difference; perhaps because of my SNPs I cannot absorb it, and/or my Hashimoto's (the auto-immune form of hypothyroid) is too far advanced. I also cannot take iodine because of the Hashimoto's.

Last edited:

brenda

UPDATE

I have since had my UAA/UEE (urinary amino acids/ essential elements) results and I am low to severely low in virtually every amino acid (which, together with my diagnosis of hyperammoneia, seems to confirm CBS+, NOS+ and SUOX+) save tryptophan and tyrosine, which are mid-range high (in the 84th percentile). Apparently this means I am not converting these, which effectively confirms the A1298c SNP :( So to answer my own question: no, I cannot take l-tyrosine or l-tryptophan, because I lack the BH4 to convert them. And I cannot make the BH4 because I have no methylfolate, but I cannot take methylfolate because it is a methyl and sulfur donor :grumpy: .

To those who responded to me, apologies for the super late reply.

roxie, I guess it can cause those problems. I have the exact same ones. I don't know if Dr. Ben said he didn't fully understand the A1298c SNP. I personally haven't heard him say that, but that may be because I perhaps haven't read his website as extensively as you.

maryb, how are you faring now? I take 300% RDA selenium tincture daily but it makes no difference; perhaps because of my SNPs I cannot absorb it, and/or my Hashimoto's (the auto-immune form of hypothyroid) is too far advanced. I also cannot take iodine because of the Hashimoto's.

brenda

Hi oh_nos

I have Hashi s which has got worse l think by eating seaweed -iodine while selenium deficient but have found one by lmmuNova in London which they say is much better absorbed. I think l have Aspergers too and empathise with how much harder it makes coping with chronic fatigue syndrome. Don't get too down though because there isalways hope and one can improve a lot. I would say that it sometimes helps to take a break from what one is taking and concentrate on getting the diet right . l do well on a macrobiotic diet but not on raw vegan with juicing. It is tough being in the uk but did you know you can request funding from your gp to go to Breakespear? If all you get there are tests including Lyme it is worth it.

Critterina

So low BH4 can affect speech? I have frequently had issues with speech, fumbling for words, not just recall but actually saying a word that was not the word I was thinking. Bizzaro body. I am hetero MTHFR 1298 and have a number of the SNPs you list but I only had one instance of T3/T4 showing any issue, next time tested it was within range so thyroid excluded. I font know my SUOX or NOS, wish I did. Aggravating tat 23andME doesn't report those SNPs. Anyone know if all of us could petition them to report on this SNP and update our chips? Really before we could do this we would have to know th rs# and no one seems to know which rs# is related to the Yasko SNPs. I thought Dr. Ben admitted not understanding the impact of MTHFR 1298 mutations???
I've done that - say a word that is sometimes even opposite what I was thinking. I also have speech effects from migraines - where it's really hard to listen or talk.
SUOX and NOS are in the 23andMe results if you know what you're looking for. Sterling's analysis includes:
NOS1 rs3782206 T
NOS2 rs2297518 A
NOS2 rs2274894 T
NOS2 rs2248814 A
NOS3 rs1800783 A
NOS3 rs1800779 G
NOS3 rs3918188 A
NOS3 G10T rs7830 T
NOS3 T786C rs2070744 C

The SUOX alleles I have in my spreadsheet (probably thanks to Valentijn) are:
rs11171718 (A = 4%)
rs705703 (T = 2%, TT = 0)