• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Fatigue" or not fatigue - that is the question...

Allyson

I can feel different kinds of fatigue as well...it just is very rarely sleepiness. In fact I never feel sleepy at all. I can tell you if I didn't have this fatigue/tiredness then I could live a normal life. I really don't have any other symptoms that are disabling for me.
I am hoping my sleep study shows that I have some type of sleep disorder and that is my main problem. I have decided to discontinue taking Klonopin at night since the sleep tech told me it was not a good one to take for sleep. Then my husband just went to a CE class on sleep and sleep disorders etc...and the doctor there said the same thing. Don't take benzos for sleep as they will prevent the deep stage. Maybe that is why I feel so awful in the mornings now...

Hi Soxfan a good tip my sellp doc told me with klonazepam - just bite off the tiiest bit you can wiht your teeth
i also crush it in my tettth lihgtly as it takes ages to dissovle in water

often this is nough to get you off - or back to - sleep

If i really want to sleep and this does not work within half and hour or so i repeat it. and wash it down with another pill like L glutamine that i would be tainkig overnight anyway.

this limits the amount you take at least; i only do this about once a week or so to prevent depencency

IM Vit b12 is the best thing i have found for sleep so far though.

best,,

ALLy

soxfan

I just started seeing a new doctor and I am sure in time she will start me on different things for my sleep which is totally I believe the root of most of my problems. I have absolutely terrible sleep....even if I seem to sleep when I get out of bed I feel tired. When I wake in the morning I am ready to get up and sometimes I don't know how awful I am going to feel until an hour or two later. Sometimes it is immediate.
I have to get off the Klonopin even though it helps me sleep I am tired and dragging all day. I think I am going to go back to either ambien or lunesta as I wasn't dragging all day with those.

I had 11 tubes of blood taken a week ago for all kinds of things and just had another sleep study so when I see the doc on the 29th I am hoping she will have some answers for me. I do know I have high cortisol at night which is disturbing my sleep too.
I think I only really get 5 or 6 hours sleep at night and it isn't a good quality so that is most likely why I feel awful all the time and need to lay down in the afternoons. I just run out of steam....I would call my fatigue a deep tiredness...

Allyson

oh sympathies soxfan ,,, nothing worse

i assume you have cut out all caffeine coke etc... and off the laptop by 6pm a the latest
have you tired a blue light ithe mornings - that helped me a lot befor the IM B12

ALly

soxfan

Yeah...have tried just about everything. I am just getting a poor quality sleep for some reason. Hopefully the study will have an answer...if I slept long enough!

soxfan

Well....I only slept 3 hours 20 minutes. It wasn't quite as much as they wanted but they did indicate there is no sleep apnea or RLS. I really thought I had slept more than that! Anyway of course since I wasn't actually sleeping very long I had like zero REM and just a little deep sleep between 4:30am-6:15am when I woke up. That isn't surprising though.

This will be my last study....I apparently just can't sleep hooked up no matter what I take for sleep meds. The doctor is trying some other stuff to try and help me feel rested in the am.

I want to add that resting or sleeping does not relieve my fatigue....nothing does.

Allyson

I hear ya Sox and sorry aobut that

for my sleep study i could not sleep
so they said take a sleeping tablet

i did - then I slept all night 11 30 pm til 6 am

then they wrote - she sleeps well ( is hence imagining her sleep problems !!! lol )

soxfan

Wow...I am impressed you slept so long. I actually took double my sleep meds and still couldn't. Here at home I had been sleeping so well so I was confident it would be fine. I think they wanted to make sure apnea or RLS was not the cause of my unrefreshing sleep and they did determine that so all I know is that my sleep is just not good quality or I am not in the recovery stages long enough.

Allyson

Wow...I am impressed you slept so long. I actually took double my sleep meds and still couldn't. Here at home I had been sleeping so well so I was confident it would be fine. I think they wanted to make sure apnea or RLS was not the cause of my unrefreshing sleep and they did determine that so all I know is that my sleep is just not good quality or I am not in the recovery stages long enough.

as it turned outhey wer ONLY lookig for sleep anea as they di not believe in ME /cfs any way !

anyway they wer nice and i go back occasionally to educate them....lol

they did give me ablu light which helped some

and another doc prescribed IM Vit B 12 which helped a LOT!

but some places now do the sleep studies at home - they wire you up and and send you home and that woud be better.

soxfan

They were looking at everything....sleep cycles...oxygen levels...heart rate...etc. I just think my sleep cycles are messed up as I spend too much time in the light stages and not enough in the deep stages. I have no idea why this happens or what can fix it. Since I became sick back in 2004 this has been the case. Although I have to say I do sleep very good on vacation and feel a lot better in the mornings. I am sure that has to do with less stress though..

Allyson

They were looking at everything....sleep cycles...oxygen levels...heart rate...etc. I just think my sleep cycles are messed up as I spend too much time in the light stages and not enough in the deep stages. I have no idea why this happens or what can fix it. Since I became sick back in 2004 this has been the case. Although I have to say I do sleep very good on vacation and feel a lot better in the mornings. I am sure that has to do with less stress though..

Great that it is being looked into - nothing worse then bad sleep - did you used to travelal lot crossing time zones?

soxfan

No...the only time I get messed up is when we go to Hawaii as it is 6 hours behind where we live. So you are basically re-living the same day over with no sleep but I usually recover pretty quickly on the way there. Coming back is worse for some reason. I am supposed to try L-Tryptophan and Seriphos but have been afraid to....Like I said....I seem to be sleeping well at night and sometimes 4-5 hours before waking and then falling back to sleep so I really have no clue.