• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gelatin in supplements. What to do?

An article by Dr. Yasko says to avoid foods containing MSG, one of which is gelatin. I take about 10 supplements per day that contain gelatin. I'd buy tinctures if they were available but they're not, and I cannot get the nutrients from food. I'm worried that i'm contributing to my MSG load.

Does anyone happen to know if supplements are generally safe, despite the gelatin?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)

helen1

I have the same problem. I'm very sensitive to excitotoxins/msg, so I either open gelatin capsules and throw the contents down my throat with a chaser if they taste awful. Or for vit E I just chomp on the capsule and swallow the innards as it doesn't taste bad then throw out the shell. I'm surprised Yasko didn't list glycerin as I've seen that on msg lists too.
I also try to source suppl. that don't contain either of those.

dannybex

An article by Dr. Yasko says to avoid foods containing MSG, one of which is gelatin. I take about 10 supplements per day that contain gelatin. I'd buy tinctures if they were available but they're not, and I cannot get the nutrients from food. I'm worried that i'm contributing to my MSG load.

Does anyone happen to know if supplements are generally safe, despite the gelatin?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)

Yasko says so many things that are erroneous that one could write several books on the subject. She constantly misinterprets studies and other references, (especially regarding sulfur/sulfate/oxalates, etc., etc.,) which leave others who have actually done the research completely confounded.

adreno

PR activist
Gelatin is just collagen. It is not a source of excitotoxicity. But if it settles your mind you can get supplements in vegetable (cellulose) capsules.

Valentijn

I'm very sensitive to MSG (get a migraine 24 hours later quite reliably) but have no problem taking 20+ gelatin capsules per day.

helen1

Invisiblejungle: thanks for the link, most informative. It left me wondering though if Great Lakes gelatin is different than that from other companies. Do you know if theirs is somehow cleaner? Or are all gelatins similar? I don't get headaches but get reliable all night awake twitching from free glutamates.

helen1

dannybex: I'm interested in what you have to say about Yasko: "She constantly misinterprets studies and other references, (especially regarding sulfur/sulfate/oxalates, etc., etc.,)" as I am trying to lower my sulfur and oxalates partly following what she's written. What do you think she's got wrong about sulfur and oxalates?
Thanks!

Valentijn

dannybex: I'm interested in what you have to say about Yasko: "She constantly misinterprets studies and other references, (especially regarding sulfur/sulfate/oxalates, etc., etc.,)" as I am trying to lower my sulfur and oxalates partly following what she's written. What do you think she's got wrong about sulfur and oxalates?
Thanks!
I'd be interested to know this too. I've been looking at SNP interpretations lately, and some of the info is heavily based on stuff she's said. Some of it does seem a bit questionable, and I'd like to know more ... unfortunately there's no citations to the reference material the claims are (presumably) based upon.

dannybex

I'd be interested to know this too. I've been looking at SNP interpretations lately, and some of the info is heavily based on stuff she's said. Some of it does seem a bit questionable, and I'd like to know more ... unfortunately there's no citations to the reference material the claims are (presumably) based upon.

I understand. And yeah, there's usually no citations, although she does mention some on her youtube videos (where she's speaking to a conference). Still, she sails through them so quickly, that naturally no one has a chance to ask questions or verify the citations.

Here's a few links, all from Susan Costen Owen's low oxalate group -- and Owens uses research to back up HER claims. Mark London also had a page disputing the so-called CBS up regulation, but not sure if it's still around.

Re ammonia/b6 and sulfur:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates/message/65178

More on sulfur and the SNPs:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates/message/65221

Some answers to my question about Yasko's take on oxalates in the krebs cycle:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates/message/101813

And here's Mark London's page on CBS 'upregulation':

http://web.mit.edu/london/www/cbs.html

klunk. :)

invisiblejungle

Invisiblejungle: thanks for the link, most informative. It left me wondering though if Great Lakes gelatin is different than that from other companies. Do you know if theirs is somehow cleaner? Or are all gelatins similar? I don't get headaches but get reliable all night awake twitching from free glutamates.

Great Lakes is known as one of the highest-quality gelatins, but that refers to the animals they use. As far as I know, gelatin is gelatin. Gelatin is simply a type of protein, one of the main structural proteins in our bodies.

dannybex

There's conflicting info on whether their gelatin is sulfite-free or not. On the main page it says it is, but then on another it lists a tiny amount. Probably common to all gelatins and collagen-type powders. And maybe with molybdenum, it isn't an issue anyway. I wrote to them about six months back regarding the sulfite thing, but no longer have that email program, so unfortunately I can't find their reply...

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Gelatin is soft. They must have to add some thing(s) to it to make a rigid capsule. Maybe the additions are the problem.

Thanks for the replies everyone :)
Whether Yasko is correct or erroneous I have no clue. There's certainly a lot of conflicting theories out there though.
I do see a correlation between gelatin and my own ill health though; although this may simply be coincidence, I don't recall ever having regular migraines and such severe constipation (we're talking going to the loo once in a fortnight. If you'll pardon the pun, I *s--t* you not) until around 3 years ago when I began taking supplements in gelatin capsules. I react badly to any animal produce, too.