• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AIDS Controlled by Natural Remedies in Africa

Jarod

AIDS Controlled by Natural Remedies in Africa

May 26, 2013.

Miraculous findings show that AIDS is being controlled by natural remedies in Africa. Betty Hewitt has been a medical missionary in Africa since 1979 where she has worked with people suffering from leprosy and AIDS. In 1998 she was appointed head post as the natural remedies consultant HIV/AIDS to the Military Medical Services in Zambia. After 3 years they were able to find the HIV replication rate could be controlled by using natural remedies such as diet alterations, herbal remedies, water therapy and colon hydrotherapy.

The protocol is fairly strict, but the success rate is high, demanding patients to follow a specific diet and include fasting one day per week. From Betty’s website she lists these considerations:
  1. Colon cleansing. Use a mixture of distilled water, psyllium powder and fresh lemon juice to acidify the colon and kill of HIV virus.
  2. Colonic irrigation and enemas to physically remove infected fecal matter from the colon.
  3. Fasting one day a week on distilled water, lemon juice and raw honey.
  4. Eat predigested proteins for 100% assimilation (Soy Milk with soy protein isolates added and yogurt culture added). Pancreatin (to digest proteins) tablets taken with this protein drink before meals.
  5. Eat cultured proteins (yogurt made from soy milk) that is easily assimilated and contains acidophilus. This friendly flora produces lactic acid which destroys most bad bacteria.
  6. Take hydrochloric acid and protein digestive enzymes if you eat hard to digest proteins like meat, eggs, fish or fowl.
  7. Eliminate hard to digest proteins from the diet like casein from dairy products and gluten’s from wheat and coagulated proteins (fried meats).

http://guardianlv.com/2013/05/aids-controlled-by-natural-remedies-in-africa/

How does one 'control' all the opportunistic infections that develop with AIDS:

Cryptoccoccal Menigitis
HIV-related Encephalopathy
Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy (PML)
Toxoplasmosis
Cytomegalovirus (CMV)
Cryptosporidiosis
Mycobacterium Avium Complex
Candidiasis
Herpes Simplex
Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) and cancerous lesions.
Liver Disease
Coccidiomycosis
Histoplasmosis
Pneumocystis Carinii
Recurrent Pneumonia
Tuberculosis (TB)
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma

Do they 'control' Kaposi's sarcoma

If her natural remedies 'controls' AIDS, then it would follow they would 'control' the previous opportunistic infections. This is simply not so.

HIV/AIDS - deaths

1 South Africa 310,000
2 Nigeria 220,000
3 India 170,000
4 Tanzania 86,000
5 Zimbabwe 83,000
6 Kenya 80,000
7 Mozambique 74,000
8 Uganda 64,000
9 Malawi 51,000

HIV and AIDS have had an especially devastating effect on children across Africa. Tens of millions have been orphaned – including 14.8 million children under the age of 18 – and still countless others are being left vulnerable as a direct result of the devastation wreaked on families and communities. Young women – often the first to be pulled out of school to help care for dying mothers and raise families of orphaned siblings – are particularly vulnerable, increasing their chances of contracting HIV.

Please consider donating to the Stephen Lewis Foundation - they work tirelessly to help those with HIV and AIDS in Africa.

JT1024

Just because someone posts something you find unbelievable doesn't mean there is not merit to it.

I've been following a number of physicians who've taken on treating their own nasty diseases when the best of medical care could not help them. . Their success has been largely based on nutrition. You might want to check out Dr. Terry Wahl's TEDx talk on youtube, Dr. Craig Oster and Dr. Alessio Fasano's research.

A ME/CFS patient (former member of this forum) recently was published in a journal where "bacterial translocation" was cited as a means for autoimmunity in ME/CFS. Food has a huge impact on our immune systems - especially or GI tract.

Just because someone posts something you find unbelievable doesn't mean there is not merit to it.

I've been following a number of physicians who've taken on treating their own nasty diseases when the best of medical care could not help them. . Their success has been largely based on nutrition. You might want to check out Dr. Terry Wahl's TEDx talk on youtube, Dr. Craig Oster and Dr. Alessio Fasano's research.

A ME/CFS patient (former member of this forum) recently was published in a journal where "bacterial translocation" was cited as a means for autoimmunity in ME/CFS. Food has a huge impact on our immune systems - especially or GI tract.

Nobody actually said there was no 'merit' to it. I have yet to see a nutritional approach consisting of colon irrigation, colonics, fasting actually controlling AIDS and controlling HIV vs controlling AIDS are two totally different things. If one is to make fantastic claims, then one should be able to back them up with even a bit of research. There are always cases where nutrition may help or does help but for a disease where millions have died, it's obviously not the answer. There is no proof that these things 'control' AIDS. If they did, millions wouldn't be dead. The article makes it seem that there is some kind of miraculous treatment for AIDS, there is not. Maximizing the immune system through diet is always helpful. Most with AIDS would not even be able to tolerate the treatments mentioned. The Stephen Lewis Foundation actually promotes healthy and holistic living as part of what it does.

I have seen articles where people have had radical improvement via diet and nutrition but if you look at numbers worldwide, it would be the exception rather than the rule. Yes, even with ME/CFS, some have had great success but the majority have not.

I think articles like this are irresponsible because for one the title is absolutely misleading and then when you dig deeper you read:

Betty Hewitt is thrilled with the results they are seeing. She reports “After seeing 146 patients pass through our Centre in two years most of whom have gained weight, and have improved clinically. It has become evident to me that if a diet of fruit, vegetables, seeds and nuts is adopted as soon as one suspects one is infected, then full blown AIDS will never develop.”

As I stated 'AIDS Controlled by Natural Remedies in Africa' is a totally erroneous and misleading title. And to say that 146 patients in two years have improved clinically means nothing when you think of the millions infected with HIV and millions who have then died of full-blown AIDS. What does 'improved clinically' actually mean in this case? The people in her clinic never had AIDS, they were HIV positive and boosting the immune system would likely be helpful. How can she know that these 146 patients didn't go on to develop full-blown AIDS. It is egregiously irresponsible to make statements that full-blown AIDS will never develop due to her interventions. She can't possibly know this.

This is just another example of the press being stupid and ill-informed. And generally, these kinds of articles are but one of many making fantastical claims to sell papers. How many other articles like this are there on the internet, yet they never seem to come true.

I must say I am totally biased when it comes to AIDS in Africa because I help the 'Grandmother's' group (part of the Stephen Lewis Foundation) raise money so that grandmother's in Africa can look after their grandchildren. They are looking after these children because their own children are casualties of AIDS. It's a terrible devastating disease and nutritional treatments are only a small part of the clinical picture.

Bob

Unless it's backed up with quality evidence, from controlled clinical trials, then the claims are dangerous.
Just because someone thinks that they've had some success, or claims that they've had some success, it doesn't make it true.
It's the same with the claims re the Lightning Process and GET as 'cures' or 'treatments' for ME.
Unless there is quality evidence, from quality controlled trials, then it's dangerous to claim that they cure or treat ME, or that patients 'recover'.
I'm surprised that we're even having such a discussion on this forum, after everything that we've learnt about the need for high quality evidence.

JT1024

I'm well aware of the snake oil.... I've been fooled before as I suspect most everyone on this forum has. We all want to be well.

To be honest, I felt the response to Jarod's original post was disrespectful when it appeared he was just posting something they found.

Regarding Bob's comment: "I'm surprised that we're even having such a discussion on this forum, after everything that we've learnt about the need for high quality evidence.", I think we've all learned.. or if you are not aware, publications have been corrupted by special interest groups where poor research is published and valid research is not.

From the British Medical Journal article: Let the patient revolution begin
BMJ 2013; 346 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f2614 (Published 14 May 2013)
Cite this as: BMJ 2013;346:f2614​
"The preservation of institutional bureaucracies, as well as professional and commercial vested interests, have consistently trumped the interests of patients."

Given this knowledge and knowledge of the importance of nutrition, I felt Jarod's post did not deserve the sarcastic response.

I'm moving on. I agree we all need "truth" and valid research. However, not all valid research will ever be published.

Jarod

Ya, slipped up on that one, I saw it went to a website selling something and it didn't register. I picked that up on google news believe it or not.

Glad the alert cranky ME/CFS readers caught it.:) It's ok, I have my cranky/moody days too.

Sounds like interesting stomach therapy, but unlikely it will cure aids. I have found lemon juice helpful though. While being overly focused on treating my stomach and dropped the ball.

These medical issues require so much restraint, I find it difficult compared to my normal problem solving mode.

golden

Ya, slipped up up that one, I saw it went to a website selling something and it didn't register.

Glad the alert cranky ME/CFS readers caught it.:) It's ok, I have my cranky/moody days too.

Sounds like interesting stomach therpapy, but unlikely it will cure aids. I have found lemon juice helpful though. Overly focused on treating my stomach and dropped the ball.

These medical issues require so much restraint, I find it difficult compared to my normal problem solving mode.

I cant find the study at present and I cant remember the biomarker - so this will be a useful post...

Once the HIV Antibodies (not the virus) have been tested for and show positive - there is another biomarker which i forget the name of - c4? t4 - totally forget!!!

However this is important criteria. The study showed it coukd be positively and significantly elevated via nutrition.

Another factor seems to be the Thymus. This can decrease in size by upto 90% due to malnutrition.

Ya, slipped up up that one, I saw it went to a website selling something and it didn't register.

Sounds like interesting stomach therpapy, but unlikely it will cure aids. I have found lemon juice helpful though. Overly focused on treating my stomach and dropped the ball.

Jarod -- relaying an opinion is not being 'cranky/moody'. :eek:

What it is about the southern African region that breeds so many moronic AIDS deniers? Is there something in the environment or culture there that damages the critical faculties? See this AIDS denialism page on Betty Hewitt's website.

I know for a long time that Thabo Mbeki's support of dissident HIV/AIDS scientists had a lot to do with it in South Africa. It's also difficult to verify what goes on in Africa. If Betty Hewitt had such a clinic in the US or Canada, she wouldn't be making the claims she is due to Government rules and regulations. I have come across quite a few people that claim they are having success in Africa with various AIDS treatments but when you look for actual proof, it's absent. There are AIDS deniers all over the world. We have a really vocal one in the city I live in and he wrote a nasty opinion piece in our local newspaper claiming that AIDS is down the poor lifestyle the 'gays lead' (not my words). It's the only time I have ever responded to such ignorant comments with a really scathing response. It's really sad. I guess the way some deny AIDS is akin to the way many deny that ME is a physical illness. Such ignorance from which nothing good can come.

Hip

I guess the way some deny AIDS is akin to the way many deny that ME is a physical illness. Such ignorance from which nothing good can come.

If only the Wessely School psychiatrists would realize that they are working out of the same vein of ignorance as the AIDS deniers, then these psychiatrists might have a moment of epiphany, and finally see how much damage their nonsense ideas have caused. The Wessely School have been vociferously denying viral causes of ME/CFS for decades.

ukxmrv

The part about yoghurt caught my eye because of this paper on CD4 counts and HIV/AIDs

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20463586

But personally I would tend to side with HIV/AIDs patients and their experiences. We constantly get told that the type of program above will cure our CFS or ME and I've tried most of the things on that list to no avail.

If I had HIV/AIDS and was in the same position I'd be miffed to see this posted here.

Jarod

The protocol struck me as being part of a solution for supplying much lacking amino acids needed to the body. When the liver is not working or the GI tract is messed up.

I'm also wondering about this EAAT3 transporter shown on post #37 of THIS glutathione precurser thread. You can see from the Diagram and also the Dr Deth presentation that EAAT3 is what allows Cysteine to exit the Gi tract and enter the astrocytes. Cysteine is needed as an essential precurser for building glutathione.

The EAAT3 is messed up by moraphine, gluten, and casein according to Dr Deth.

Since EAAT3 is "excitatory" in nature, and a transporter of glutamate, is this what sets off "excitoxity" when eating the wrong foods or drinking caffine?

If EAAT3 is constantly inflamed by caffine, casein, gluten, how am I going to get enough cysteine to maintain a high enough glutathione level?

The study below doesn't mean much too me, and I obviously can't understand the whole thing. But I put it up to help describe the EAAT3.

The Dr Deth presentation, as shown in that glutathione precurser thread post #36, is where I learned about EAAT3
The neuronal excitatory amino acid transporter EAAC1/EAAT3: does it represent a major actor at the brain excitatory synapse?

Nieoullon A, Canolle B, Masmejean F, Guillet B, Pisano P, Lortet S.
Source

IBDML-IC2N, UMR 6216 CNRS, Université de la Méditerranée, Institut de Biologie du Développement de Marseille-Luminy, Marseille, France. andre.nieoullon@ibdml.univ-mrs.fr
Abstract

EAAC1/EAAT3 is a transporter of glutamate (Glu) present at the post-synaptic neuronal element, in opposition to the two other main transporters, GLAST/EAAT1 and GLT1/EAAT2, expressed at the excitatory amino acid (EAA) synapse by surrounding astrocytes. Although, in the adult, EAAC1/EAAT3 exhibits a rather low expression level and is considered to make a minor contribution to Glu removal from the synapse, its early expression during brain development, before the astrocytes are functional, suggests that such a neuronal transporter is involved in the developmental effects of EAA and, possibly, in the biosynthesis and trophic role of GABA, which is excitatory in nature in different brain regions during the earlier stages of brain development. This neuronal Glu transporter is considered to have a dual action as it is apparently involved in the neuronal uptake of cysteine, which acts as a key substrate for the synthesis of glutathione, a major anti-oxidant, because the neurones do not express the Xc(-) transport system in the mature brain. Interestingly, EAAC1/EAAT3 activity/expression was shown to be highly regulated by neuronal activity as well as by intracellular signalling pathways involving primarily alpha protein kinase C (alphaPKC) and phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase (PI3K). Such regulatory processes could act either at the post-traductional level or at the transcriptional level. It is worth noting that EAAC1/EAAT3 exhibits specificity, compared with other EAA transporters, because it is present mainly in the intracellular compartment and only for about 20% at the plasma membrane. Variations in neuronal Glu uptake were shown to be associated with rapid changes in the trafficking of the transporter protein altering the membranar location of the transporter. More recent data show that astrocyte-secreted factors such as cholesterol could also influence rapid changes in the location of EAAC1/EAAT3 between the plasma membrane and the cytoplasmic compartment. Such a highly regulated process of EAAC1/EAAT3 activity/expression may have implications in the physiopathology of major diseases affecting EAA brain signalling, which is further supported by data obtained in animal models of hypoxia-anoxia, for example.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16800850

golden

The part about yoghurt caught my eye because of this paper on CD4 counts and HIV/AIDs

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20463586

But personally I would tend to side with HIV/AIDs patients and their experiences. We constantly get told that the type of program above will cure our CFS or ME and I've tried most of the things on that list to no avail.

If I had HIV/AIDS and was in the same position I'd be miffed to see this posted here.

CD4 - I think that was what I was trying to remember. The scientific studies I read were different to the yoghurt one. And focused on all round nutrition.

But whether M.E. or HIV, what concerns me the most is the truth.

The main points of why people are not certain Hiv causes AIDS from a scientific, evidence only perspective - as far as i have gathered so far is :

The hiv virus has never been isolated therefore the 'evidence' is by correlation only. Now the allopathic mantra is usually correlation does not equate to causation.

Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, like M.E. is nothing to do with a psychiactric disorder and the psychiatrists dont try to claim AIDS and treat it with CBT and false illness belief mentality.

I dont mind if M.E. turns out to be several factors and not one virus and so I also wouldnt be upset if I had AIDS and the same was applied - if it does turn out to be caused by one virus - I am equally flexible to that.

Bob

For the record, I didn't find Kina's comments cranky, or sarcastic, but I found them serious and well thought out.
Because of the politics surrounding HIV/AIDS, it is right to give a robust response when one sees unsubstantiated claims re HIV/AIDS, just as it is with unsubstantiated claims re ME/CFS.
The politics surrounding HIV/AIDS in South Africa, has been especially problematic over the years.

BTW, no one is saying that a holistic approach to HIV cannot have health benefits. But that's very different to someone claiming that they have found a cure (or similar) for HIV without rigorous evidence.

Bob

It was a bad sarcastic joke. I wasn't referring to Kina. I was actually referring to you Bob and Wdb

OK, I see. Sorry if I was a bit cranky. But our comments weren't directed at you, Jarod. They were directed at the original source of information. I know you were just posting information for comment.

lansbergen

The hiv virus has never been isolated therefore the 'evidence' is by correlation only. .

http://www.pasteur.fr/ip/easysite/p...steur/the-discovery-of-the-aids-virus-in-1983
The discovery of the AIDS virus in 1983

http://www.aidstruth.org/story/08-oct-discovery-hiv-recognised-nobel-prize

The Nobel prize for Physiology or Medicine has been awarded to Luc Montagnier and Francoise Barre-Sinoussi for their work on the isolation of HIV

http://www.metapathogen.com/HIV-1/

Human Immunodeficiency Virus is a virus that causes Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS). HIV is in retrovirus family, and two types have been identified: HIV-1 and HIV-2. HIV-1 is responsible for most HIV infections throughout the world, whereas HIV-2 is found primarily in West Africa.

• In May 1983, the isolation of new human retrovirus (at the time known as LAV, Lymphoadenopathy Associated Virus) from lymph node of AIDS patient was first reported and published in Science by Françoise Barré-Sinoussi et al. The virus could be propagated on peripheral blood mononuclear cells and on cord blood lymphocytes and its antigen showed no or weak cross reactivity with HTLV-1 proteins, indicating that it was a new human virus
In 1985, sequencing of the viral genome performed by molecular biologists at the Institut Pasteur, provided the necessary knowledge at the basis of the test to determine the viral load and to monitor resistance to therapy.