• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nasonex or Flonase?

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
Hi everyone,

This is not a very important question in the grand scheme of ME/CFS, but I've been debating what to do for a year now... Does anyone use Nasonex or Flonase and do you think it causes you to catch more viruses?

I don't really need a steroid nasal spray during the day ~ until I got a cpap machine and am using nasal pillows. My swollen sinuses/congestion at night is enough to make using the cpap nasal mask difficult. The doc gave me Nasonex but I've been too nervous to use it because of the steroid effect in my nose ~ the first line of defense against colds!

BTW, I haven't had a cold/flu/bronchitis ~ anything! ~ since 3 months before coming down with M.E. (that's 2 years in July), so my fear of THE DAY I CATCH A COLD has grown to epic proportions.

Thanks for the advice!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I use Flonase and I don't see that it would cause one to catch more viruses, but then I don't catch them anyway cause of my overactive immune system!

Sushi

Nielk

I too use Flonase. I actually use it every day f the year because of my sinus issues stemming from allergies. I do not know what it does for colds.

dsdmom

I use Nasonex - used to just be during the spring/summer but I started using it year round and have noticed I am sick a lot more...not sure if nasonex is contributing but I'm taking a break and just using the neti pot like crazy.

Also, FWIW, flonase has been found to be more systemically absorbed than nasonex. But nasonex is more expensive.

Ocean

I've been on flonase for about 4-5 months and haven't caught a cold, the flu, or anything and my husband has had bronchitis, strep throat and maybe whooping cough.
Oh no! Poor husband! Hope he gets better soon.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i find the over the counter spray with oxymetazoline works almost instantly and then when sinuses have opened up i go to town with the saline sprays. The say not to use oxymetazoline no more then 3 days in a row as it can have a rebound effect.
On the subject of cortisol type drugs, many are concerned about immune supressing effects but if one looks up treatments for neutropenia which is a low type of white blood cell caused mainly by bacterial infections, cortisol actually increases neutrophil production, so this can help the immune system to fight infection in sinusitis. Obviously long term effects are going to low other immune responses. But this is related to oral cortisol drugs like prednisone etc.

Lotus97

If Nasonex is still under patent then it's going to be a lot more expensive since Flonase is available in generic. I heard the same thing about corticosteroids possibly causing problems with viruses, but I never really looked into it so I'll let heapsreal figure it out since I stopped taking Flonase and don't need to worry about it anymore. I've been using a homemade saline/xylitol nasal spray with grapefruit seed extract. I posted a recipe here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ay-for-sinus-congestion-sinusitis-save.21430/

valentinelynx

Every time I used Flonase for my allergies, I would catch a cold. Otherwise, I hardly ever catch colds. So I quit using nasal steroids. Now I use NasalCrom (I decided to stop taking systemic antihistamines unless absolutely necessary). NasalCrom (Cromolyn Sodium) works by stabilizing mast cells. Only hassle is you have to use it several times a day for it to keep working.

Hi everyone,

This is not a very important question in the grand scheme of ME/CFS, but I've been debating what to do for a year now... Does anyone use Nasonex or Flonase and do you think it causes you to catch more viruses?

I don't really need a steroid nasal spray during the day ~ until I got a cpap machine and am using nasal pillows. My swollen sinuses/congestion at night is enough to make using the cpap nasal mask difficult. The doc gave me Nasonex but I've been too nervous to use it because of the steroid effect in my nose ~ the first line of defense against colds!

BTW, I haven't had a cold/flu/bronchitis ~ anything! ~ since 3 months before coming down with M.E. (that's 2 years in July), so my fear of THE DAY I CATCH A COLD has grown to epic proportions.

Thanks for the advice!
Before you consider using a steroid nasal spray, I recommend you try a full face mask for your CPAP. I use one because I find the nasal masks intolerable for the reason you described. I also use an attached humidifier. The combination is very comfortable. Since you never needed the steroids before, I expect that it is likely you will not need one if you switch masks.

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
Well, after reading the first few posts, I got the nerve up and just shot the Nasonex up my nose... then I read your post, Valentinelynx. Oh no! :eek:

But, last night was the clincher. I have a cpap machine. I am much sicker when I don't use it because them my brain is in a constant arousal state (so I'm told) from the apnea. I can't wear the full face mask because it keeps me awake ~ I can only tolerate the nasal pillows. And I tape my mouth closed. Ugh.

Anyway, last night was awful. My swollen sinuses have reached a point of suffocation, but not enough it seems to wake me up. Basically, enough air is squeaking by to keep me alive, but I have nightmares all night about not being able to breathe and toss and turn and generally have an awful time.

But I kinda feel like I just shot the flu virus up my nose, not Nasonex. I know I will catch something and it triggers my I WILL DIE IF I FEEL ANY WORSE anxiety.

So, I really really appreciate all your answers. Damn, I love this forum! I'll let you know if Nasonex solves the cpap issue or gives me a cold or both or neither. I'm seriously nervous. I hate how M.E. makes a brave person fearful of everything.

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
Before you consider using a steroid nasal spray, I recommend you try a full face mask for your CPAP. I use one because I find the nasal masks intolerable for the reason you described. I also use an attached humidifier. The combination is very comfortable. Since you never needed the steroids before, I expect that it is likely you will not need one if you switch masks.
Hey Mercy,

What mask do you use? I can't get a new mask until August (covered by insurance). I have the Quattro FX full face mask. The other fun thing about my body is, I cannot sleep with a mask that has a forehead brace and I get a very sore/still/cramped neck from the low strap on the full face mask ~ it hits right at the base of my skull and I have a fun neck injury from my previous life. I am the lightest sleeper I know ~ I can't seem to fall asleep for more than 3 minutes at a time with a full face mask, because how do you get used to this?: :p

Alien-Face-Hugger-01.jpg

Ocean

Well, after reading the first few posts, I got the nerve up and just shot the Nasonex up my nose... then I read your post, Valentinelynx. Oh no! :eek:

But, last night was the clincher. I have a cpap machine. I am much sicker when I don't use it because them my brain is in a constant arousal state (so I'm told) from the apnea. I can't wear the full face mask because it keeps me awake ~ I can only tolerate the nasal pillows. And I tape my mouth closed. Ugh.

Anyway, last night was awful. My swollen sinuses have reached a point of suffocation, but not enough it seems to wake me up. Basically, enough air is squeaking by to keep me alive, but I have nightmares all night about not being able to breathe and toss and turn and generally have an awful time.

But I kinda feel like I just shot the flu virus up my nose, not Nasonex. I know I will catch something and it triggers my I WILL DIE IF I FEEL ANY WORSE anxiety.

So, I really really appreciate all your answers. Damn, I love this forum! I'll let you know if Nasonex solves the cpap issue or gives me a cold or both or neither. I'm seriously nervous. I hate how M.E. makes a brave person fearful of everything.
Sounds like you are having a lot of anxiety about it but as you can see from the responses here a lot of people did not seem to catch more sickness after using these sprays regularly. I've gone close to a year without a cold, which I think is pretty good, and I've been on these sprays forever. I made it through the entire winter season without catching anything contagious at all while many others I know, without CFS and not on nasal sprays, have caught several colds and flus.

Hey Mercy,

What mask do you use? I can't get a new mask until August (covered by insurance). I have the Quattro FX full face mask. The other fun thing about my body is, I cannot sleep with a mask that has a forehead brace and I get a very sore/still/cramped neck from the low strap on the full face mask ~ it hits right at the base of my skull and I have a fun neck injury from my previous life. I am the lightest sleeper I know ~ I can't seem to fall asleep for more than 3 minutes at a time with a full face mask, because how do you get used to this?: :p

View attachment 5094
Hi Elizabeth, I use the Fisher Playkel Flexifit 431 http://www.fphcare.com/products/flexifit-431-full-face-mask/.
I also have neck problems and, of course, multiple sleep issues. I have been using a CPAP for about ten years now and would not be able to sleep at all without one. But I can tell you that adapting to it was extraordinarily difficult. It took between one and two years before I fully adapted. It was a slow process and it got easier and easier throughout that time. My best advice is to wear it continuously every night and don't take it off no matter how much you want to. I really believe it is the only way you will adapt. I am extremely sensitive to anything on my skin, and can tolerate very little pressure anywhere on my body, esoecially on the back of the neck, so I know that if can adapt then anyone can!

I can understand the pain you get from the strap because initially I was the same. It's possible that as you get more used to it and your body relaxes more with it that you will find the pain lessening. It also takes tme to find the right position for you and for the air tube. Some people use a CPAP pillow, but I find I do best with a Tempurpedic pillow, on my side while physically holding the air strap to the side. It sounds ridiculous, I know but I have trained myself to sleep on oneside wothout moving. When I waken and turn to the other side I take the strap with me. Good luck!

Also, as to your initial question. I use inhaled steroids for my asthma and flonase nasal spray for my nose. My allergies are so bad that I simply have no choice and I have been on them for about 20 years. But I would never recommend steroids for anyone if there is any other other option, which is why I addressed the CPAP issue first. If you find you must use a nasal spray, then I will say that it has never had any impact on whether or not I get colds.

I am a seasonal allergy sufferer ...and some years they are worse than others. This year I have been miserable, always either sneezing continually or not able to breathe, or a continuous runny nose, bleeding nose...tired and just not able to function!! None of this fun or attractive. I remember my doctor prescribing Nasonex a few years back and I went back and asked for it again. Within 2 days I felt back to my normal self and was able to breathe properly. No more lethargy and no more nose bleeds. It truly is a miracle for me with no side effects.

Nielk

I am a seasonal allergy sufferer ...and some years they are worse than others. This year I have been miserable, always either sneezing continually or not able to breathe, or a continuous runny nose, bleeding nose...tired and just not able to function!! None of this fun or attractive. I remember my doctor prescribing Nasonex a few years back and I went back and asked for it again. Within 2 days I felt back to my normal self and was able to breathe properly. No more lethargy and no more nose bleeds. It truly is a miracle for me with no side effects.

Hi @Philip452 - Welcome to the forum. It is great to hear when things work out. It is so rare to hear that an issue gets resolved with an easy solution. I hope it continues to work for you.