• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Just in: 23&Me results - Any Insights would be much appreciated!

Journeyman

I was quite excited recently to get my 23&Me test results back which I immediately put through the Genetic Genie.org converter to get the Yasko esque Methylation and Detox panel's

Please see the results below and let me know the key issues I face as you see them. Know that any insights you can provide would be enormously appreciated because this is (as I see it) one of my few remaining chances to do something that will make my life enjoyable again!

Genetic Genie Interpretation of 23nMe Results - Methylation Panel.jpg
Genetic Genie - Detox Panel.jpg

Journeyman

I'm starting to wonder why my post is so absent any replies - I've tried to make viewing my methylation and detox panel's as easy as possible - can everyone see them ok? (if you hover your mouse over them it increases the size)

I'm currently studying Yasko's chapter 6 'autism - pathways to recovery' and making notes, but the more I learn the more I realise I could really benefit from the insights of those of you who are both sharper than me and have spent more time studying and becoming experts in this material. Again, any useful tips/insights you can provide on my situation as depicted by the panel's would be most appreciated.

One thing - Yakso recommends I start with UTM/UEE tests to find out my mineral profile. What if I've already done hair mineral tests and some steady chelation therapy and been supplementing with 30mg+ of zinc for 3 years now as a matter of course. I think its fair to say I can straight to addressing the mutations right?

Valentijn

I'm starting to wonder why my post is so absent any replies - I've tried to make viewing my methylation and detox panel's as easy as possible - can everyone see them ok? (if you hover your mouse over them it increases the size)
2nd one is very hard to read. When making a screen shot, it's good to open up "Paint", paste the screen shot in, then select around the part you want and crop it.

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm has some good explanations for your results on the first page you posted. Basically it suggests that you can't convert inactive forms of B12 and folic acid into active forms easily, and that you additionally use up any existing methyl-B12 too quickly. Supplementing methyl-B12 and methylfolate are probably a good idea. BH4, tyrosine and tryptophan also might help.

CYP genes affect how you metabolize certain drugs, and the creation of lipids (including steroids and cholesterol). But it looks like its activity is more controlled by food (and drugs) than by genetics.

The wikipedia page for CYP1A2 has a nice list of "inhibitors" which slow down the ability to metabolize certain "substrates". Whereas the "inducers" can help speed up the metabolism of the "substrates" . I think :p So if you take anything on the substrates list, its effects might be longer lasting or more intense than they would be for normal people, and if you take something from the inhibitors list, it also might make things worse. But taking something on the inducers list might help restore normal functioning, which could be beneficial when it comes to producing essential lipids like cholesterol and steroids.

CYP1B1 is somehow involved in aldosterone production, and is inhibited by St John's wort. Can't really find any additional info on that one - sounds like it's a bit more of a recent discovery than some of the other CPY genes.

Wikipedia also has nice pages for CYP2C19 and CYP2D6 with a list of their substrates, and the inhibitors and inducers which can affect the metabolism of those substrates.

SOD2 also has a wikipedia page, and "this protein transforms toxic superoxide, a byproduct of the mitochondrial electron transport chain, into hydrogen peroxide and diatomic oxygen". It's also interesting because it's implicated in protecting the heart from arrythmia and heart attack. A 50% deficiency in mice results in a normal life span but increased DNA damage and incidence of cancer. So it might be nice to see if there's a way to get it to work more effectively, or an alternative way to get rid of superoxide.

NAT2 R197Q says you'll be a slow metabolizer of various drugs containing "heterocyclic amines", and possibly exhaust fumes and tobacco smoke.

Journeyman

Thanks so much for this detailed and well thought out reply. I've been very busy lately struggling with a lack of sleep and a new job that I'm struggling with, but I took the time to read a bit on the wikipedia links you mentioned re: the CYP genes. I found it particularly interesting given my existing understanding of the Genotype diet which is the latest instalment of the blood type diet brought about by Peter D'Adamo. I was fascinated as I read through about how its the P450 enzyme that deals with xenoestrogens that is most impaired. I'm a 'teacher' genotype according to this latest paradigm he's developed re: genotypes, and apparently its this very issue that I'm predicted to have problems with. It will be fascinating to learn more and see how completely these two lines of enquiry might intersect, and how I can use this for both mine and others benefit...

Thanks again Valentijn... I hope others can now show as much interest as you!

sregan

Those who can answer might be on holiday. I have learned a little will tell you what I gather... the VDR Taq means you need to supplement D3 most likely, MTHFR mutations means you probably need Active/Methyl folate (and the Methyl B12 that should be taken with). The MTHFR C677T my wife also has means you likely don't process "folic acid" and should avoid. BHMT-08 you might try adding a little TMG/betaine with your methyl folate + methyl b12.

Not sure about the COMT, see this link for a description of most of your mutations: http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

You can do some investigation yourself: See the links Caledonia has at the bottom of her post:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...moved-from-b12-methylation.23294/#post-356416

Jarod gave these:
19 minutes in to Ben Lynch video

http://geneticgenie.org/methylation-analysis-example/

http://geneticgenie.org/all-mutations/

Cheers

Journeyman

Those who can answer might be on holiday. I have learned a little will tell you what I gather... the VDR Taq means you need to supplement D3 most likely, MTHFR mutations means you probably need Active/Methyl folate (and the Methyl B12 that should be taken with). The MTHFR C677T my wife also has means you likely don't process "folic acid" and should avoid. BHMT-08 you might try adding a little TMG/betaine with your methyl folate + methyl b12.

Not sure about the COMT, see this link for a description of most of your mutations: http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

You can do some investigation yourself: See the links Caledonia has at the bottom of her post:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...moved-from-b12-methylation.23294/#post-356416

Jarod gave these:
19 minutes in to Ben Lynch video

http://geneticgenie.org/methylation-analysis-example/

http://geneticgenie.org/all-mutations/

Cheers

Thanks for this useful reply Sregan - I hope my reply to your results was also of some help... Heres to an improved life as we sort these deficiencies out!

sregan

I've been studying this page you should try to go over it. Yasko says to deal with SHMT/ACAT first then CBS. You have a +/- for SHMT so you might benefit. She says:

"That’s why using lactoferrin (which helps to control iron levels) along with low doses of 5 formyl THF (found in the product, ActiFolate) help shift methylation activity back to the short and long routes around the cycle."

Not sure but you might need to test iron levels if you are taking lactoferrin.

You don't have any CBS issues on your chart so you can be thankful for that as it seems to be a huge can of worms. I have a +/- in CBT C699T that I'll probably have to deal with before I can proceed.

You also have 2 COMT mutations

search that same article for "Understanding COMT V158M and VDR/Taq"

Yasko says:

"However, those who are COMT + often cannot tolerate high doses of any methylating agents. For this reason, I tend to focus more on the use of hydroxylcobalamin B12, dibencozide (adenosyl) B12, and cyanocobalamin B12 for those who are COMT +/+ and to use methylcobalamin B12 along with these other forms of B12 for those who are COMT-/-."

There is a lot to read on that page. Its gonna take me a while to absorb it all and make a plan. I have to address CBS and possibly ammonia and BH4. Not as cut and dried as I would like. Will be some trail and error.

Cheers!

Journeyman

So here I am a few weeks into a basic protocol which I've developed with a balance between the supplements I have available to me now and the excellent tidbits of advice I've picked up here...

I take the following:

Vit D (about 7000 IU / day) in the standard supplement form (Brand is 'Blooms' )
L Methyl Folate (1mg/day) (from Life Extension Foundation)
5 Methyl B12 (5mg every 3rd day) (again a Life Extension Foundation product)
Mega B (standard multi B tab to give me all the base level B's that help the aboves)

This goes with all the usual stuff I take such as Korean Ginseng, St Johns Wort, Liver Cleanse (Silymarin with dandelion / schizandra) and since yesterday - BH4 (Benfotiamine) - again a Life extension product.

I find anxiety seems to be high and I've suddenly got acne and other skin blotches that seem to coincide directly with commencing the BH4 and 5-HTP (ideas?) and it reminds me of Amy's advice that SHMT +- should be addressed first along with the Glutamate/Gaba balancing treatment. With this in mind I'm very close to putting an order in to Holistic Health for the SHMT spray as well as 'Be Calm' spray which is alleged to help with the anxiety issues...

Are these the best products in terms of value/quality or are there better options? Finances are a real concern for me at present so I need genuine advice here to maximise my functioning and minimise the costs...

Thanks again to all for your advice so far...

Journeyman

Valentijn

St John's Wort could mess up your aldosterone production, which already might not be great due to your CYP1B1 problems. Also, it's affecting serotonin, as is your 5-HTP - the combination can cause serotonin syndrome. And even alone, some ME/CFS patients can have an intense reaction to them.

Journeyman

St John's Wort could mess up your aldosterone production, which already might not be great due to your CYP1B1 problems. Also, it's affecting serotonin, as is your 5-HTP - the combination can cause serotonin syndrome. And even alone, some ME/CFS patients can have an intense reaction to them.

Thanks for that reminder re; the CYP1B1 relating to my detox panel results - I'm reluctant to just stop the St John's Wort but will do now that I can fall back to the 5-HTP which is allowing me a quality of sleep and sexual function I thought I'd forgotten....

Looks like a separate thread re: the product recommendations of Holistic Health vs the other options might be in order....

Regards
Journeyman

helen1

Apologies for jumping in here, but could someone (Valentijn?) please explain the relationship between CYP1B1 and aldosterone production? My aldosterone lab just came in at 1730, renin 25, ratio 68. My blood pressure and heart rate are low though.
++ CYP1B1 L432V, N453S
+- CYP1B1 R48G

OK just went back and read what Valentijn had posted higher up about the lack of available info regarding CYP and aldosterone. Sorry.