• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23 and me results. Where to start?

I knew a few years ago I had +/+ MTHFR but never got anywhere with it. My doctor didn't think it important to investigate further as we would just methylate me till I was better.

Long story short, I'm still not better and struggle with CFS for many years now.
Here are my results and I see that NOS3 and SUOX are not tested. How do we go about finding the status on those as well?

I hope I did this image right. This is my first post and not quite sure I know what I'm doing yet. I'm beyond ready to get well. Any help or guidance you can offer will be deeply appreciated.

D Meth.png

My understanding is that you have to address the CBS issue first. This is covered in Dr. Amy Yasko's book "Autism: Pathway to Recovery" which is free from her website.

Thank you Diana. I had no idea that book was free. I had wanted to order it and the dvd/workbook but it was always "out of stock". I went and downloaded it and will start reading it this weekend.
What I am looking for is which snp to address first etc. That's what my doc didn't understand. I know from past experience that every single time I thought I'd found a cure I would crash hard down the road. Sometimes it would be soon, other times I might go a little further but no matter what, always end back up at square one or worse.
This time I intend to do things correctly and in order.
And thank you too Jarod. Hope you both have a lovely weekend :)

caledonia

You don't have SHMT or ACAT, so start with CBS. The Heartfixer page has a good CBS protocol. The only modification I made was to use the free thiol list instead of just a blanket reduction of sulfur. Also, I didn't restrict protein. It still worked. Note, CBS can take several months, so you'll have to be really patient.

Watch/read all the links in my signature, and you'll get a pretty good education.

If you want to test for NOS and SUOX get your SNPs done by Amy Yasko. It's about $500 which is why most people are doing 23andme.

Just curious - how did your doctor "methylate" you? Do you mean you took glutathione?

Hi Caledonia, a good education is what I'm after so thanks for your input. My doc put me on a supplement called "DMG Complete" which contains calcium folinate and methylcobalamin.

Over the years I've taken many supplements on my own and right now glutathione is one I've been using for several months. I now see that it's on the sulfur list and I should stop taking it? I saw the Rich Vank lecture and he said that most of our problems come from a glutatione deficiency so I thought I'd cheat and take it for now till I could learn everything the right way.

One thing I always take is acetyl l-carnitine. Without it I can tell a real difference and I'm not willing to part with it so hopefully it's ok to keep taking. Both of my sons are also homozygous MTHFR so I've got my hands full trying to learn and deal with all this mess.

Misfit Toy

Glutathione makes many sick as a dog. I am not knowledgable as to why. I had a Genova test for phase 2 of the liver and it came up real strong-don't take glutathione. I don't think it's one of those things you just decide to take. I also think you have to take it with other supplements.

It would cause things to try and be detoxed, but my liver couldn't handle it and I became mentally unstable and my heart would beat a mile a minute. I looked green at the gils.

My doc is a holistic M.D. and I've been going to him for almost 14 years so I have inadvertently done lots of detoxing over the years. This might be why I didn't get sick on glutathione.

Some things I know I can't have are, red dye, yellow dye, aspartame in even the tiniest quantity.
Supplement wise it runs the gambit. Things work really well and then I crash or they make me feel crappy from the get-go. I can't think offhand of any that have bothered me right now, except for NADH. I didn't do well on that at all.

Valentijn

I hope I did this image right. This is my first post and not quite sure I know what I'm doing yet. I'm beyond ready to get well. Any help or guidance you can offer will be deeply appreciated.
MAO A means you might have nasty side effects with serotonin supplementation, or potentially even SSRI's.

MTHFR C677T means you should supplement methylfolate instead of folic acid, and it might help to avoid folic acid supplementation in general as well.

The VDR's involve Vitamin D Receptors. With +/- you might need Vitamin D supplementation, and may need help making dopamine as well. Tyrosine could help with that.

Your MTRR indicates you aren't making much methyl-B12, and your MTR indicates you're breaking down methyl-B12 too fast. So you probably need B12 supplementation in the form of methyl-B12, not hydroxy- or cyano- B12. Since your COMT is normal, methyl-B12 supplementation should work fine.

BHMT is an alternative way to do some things that your MTHFR and MTRR aren't doing. But that's broken too :p Phosphatidylserine or phosphatidylcholine might help. And your CBS is making things worse by draining precursors needed for methylization (it also might cause sulfur issues).

So basically it looks like you are almost completely incapable of making and keeping any methylB12 (or methylfolate), but the good news is that your genes shouldn't interfere with your ability supplement them. So supplementing both of those may have a big impact. Vitamin D and tyrosine also may be useful.

Thank you Valentijn. MAO-A, That would explain why when they put me on ssri's it was a pretty awful experience. I flat out refuse to ever take any of those drugs again. I got bruxism (basically lock jaw) so bad I couldn't open my mouth for several days, and that was from one pill. They tried several on me and the result was the same each time.

My vitamin D levels were checked many years ago by holistic doc and my level came back an 8, flagged "severe deficiency". I now take 50,000 IU a week and have for a few years. Everyone in my household takes 50K dose and we are monitored regularly.

It's uncanny to see some of the things you all suggest and I started doing those on my own over the years. Like tyrosine. I defintely like taking it and do so off and on for an extra boost. I just started taking it again this week to help me get through my workouts. I've been on an exercise/weight loss lifestyle for a few years now. So far I'm down 85 lbs and have about 40 or so to go. I also used immunopro powder off and on for years and it did help a lot, especially in the beginning but I did get hives at first, when I was detoxing.

I will have to update my profile to include my health status and dna results. I've been through the wringer medically. I currently have some very huge health obstacles to overcome and I'm tired of waiting to start living.

Thanks again, every one of you for your input. I feel like a lifeline has been thrown to me.