• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetic Results from Genetic Genie/23andme.com

sregan

I've looked up some things, this stuff is fascinating!!! I understand +/+ is bad not sure what to make of +/- or -/+ (partially bad?). Any thoughts are appreciated!

Methylation Results
shawnsnp.png

Detox Profile
ShawnDetoxSnp.png

helen1

Hi Sregan
From my understanding, the +- SNPs can remain unexpressed your whole life (actually this is true for the ++ too) if you have no triggers that cause them to be triggered. Common triggers that would turn them on would be heavy metals, other toxins, chronic emotional or physical stress and traumatic stress (accidents, surgery, etc).

I was reading somewhere, I think it was Amy Yasko's website, where she mentions an organic farmer with the worst SNP profile she'd ever seen who was healthy as a horse at age 80, never had much stress, lived a really clean life; and compared him with children with much milder genetic profiles who were in really bad shape due to toxins, etc.

For myself, I've assumed all my SNPs are expressed because of the life I've had, mostly validated by biochemical tests, symptoms and responses to treatments. But this would not necessarily be the case for you.

sregan

Hi Sregan
From my understanding, the +- SNPs can remain unexpressed your whole life (actually this is true for the ++ too) if you have no triggers that cause them to be triggered. Common triggers that would turn them on would be heavy metals, other toxins, chronic emotional or physical stress and traumatic stress (accidents, surgery, etc).

I was reading somewhere, I think it was Amy Yasko's website, where she mentions an organic farmer with the worst SNP profile she'd ever seen who was healthy as a horse at age 80, never had much stress, lived a really clean life; and compared him with children with much milder genetic profiles who were in really bad shape due to toxins, etc.

For myself, I've assumed all my SNPs are expressed because of the life I've had, mostly validated by biochemical tests, symptoms and responses to treatments. But this would not necessarily be the case for you.

Thank you Helen, I assume some of mine at least are being expressed. I have dealt with CFS for the last 10 years triggered by a period of intense prolonged stress. Also chemical sensitive, depression and noticed that Methyl b12 and methyl folate are having quite an effect on me. All of this correlates perfectly with my +/+ mutations and a couple of the +/-.

Mostly I was wondering of the +/- are anything to be concerned about? Since there are 2 copies of the gene you basically have a backup if one is undexpressing. If it's over not sure how that second one matters.

Lotus97

Hi Sregan

What do you mean by "expressed"? And how do you know if they are or aren't?

caledonia

Expressed means turned on and causing disease. If you have ME/CFS, no doubt many, if not all, of your methylation SNPs are expressed. There are many tests, or signs and symptoms you can go by to see if each individual SNP is actually expressed. You need to read Yasko's book to get all the info.

A +/- can be expressed and cause disease just like a +/+. Watch the Methylation Made Easy videos (the link is in my signature below). The 4th video explains the SNPs and how much blockage is caused by +/- and +/+ for each MTHFR SNP. That's the only one I've seen such research for.

Freddd

I would like to put in a very big caution. I would expect that at this early stage of figuring these things out that over 90% of interpretations of these things are just plain wrong and will be shown to be so in the next 40 years, and then again in the next 40. If the understanding were really there it would be about as reliable as making a cake or yeast bread. When Yasko or anybody reliably and predictably hits the 50% mark of curing CFS/FMS/ME in a couple of years I will believe that they are understanding the situation with some accuracy. When fundamental understandings are wrong, everything based on them are wrong. Responses are not what they "should" be. Based on these SNP understandings a few people have some targeted improvement but for the most part the people treating based on these have worse outcomes than some people basing it on other methods of understanding. I played chase my tail for 20 years with all sorts of practitioners. NOT ONE WORKED AT ALL.

Choose wisely what hypothesis to follow. Most will keep you sick. You have to get the grail, not the imitation.