• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting Article On Somatizing Patients

PhoenixDown

The somatizing patient can be the nemesis of the primary care physician. A good proportion of our patients may seem to us to have inappropriate worries about their health...

http://www.aventinomedicalgroup.com/Dimsdale.book(jd12.pdf

This unrelated link (again about somatizing) http://www.dsm5.org/research/pages/somaticpresentationsofmentaldisorders(september6-8,2006).aspx

Not sure how official the domain name is, but very interesting references there. The talk about different cultural labels for alleged somatizing or functional somatic syndromes, fails to resolve the issues of doctor's prejudice, bias, incomplete testing, and the negative effects that these labels have on patients (especially those who's symptoms don't respond to the staple treatment options).

PS: Please refrain from mentioning the name of certain researchers who's names inevitably pop up in research that affects us.

Sean

A good proportion of our patients may seem to us to have inappropriate worries about their health...

"may seem to us"

Says it all.

Call me a crazy radical, but they could try just saying that they do not have a good explanation or treatment yet. Couldn't possibly be a worse outcome than the one they are currently inflicting upon us. The 'any explanation and treatment is better than nothing' approach is not exactly scientifically or ethically defensible.

PennyIA

(at least one of my “so-matizing” patients turned out to have multiple sclerosis​

What ticks me off the most? Is that it's worded the way it is. "one of my somatizing patients" ... instead of "A patient that I misunderstood to being overly concerned about their health ended up being justified by the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis."

So, they still don't 'get it' even after fighting for and getting a diagnosis, the patient is still considered to be 'somatizing' ... and 'at least one of' means that just perhaps, there were more than one with undiagnosed MS? sad. very sad.

alex3619

Angela Kennedy's book "Agents of their own misfortune?" addresses the cultural and social bias in somatization and psychogenic hypotheses generally.

If you couldn't do what you always could, and nobody could help, wouldn't you be worried?

If most of what you did made you sicker, wouldn't you be anxious?

If you lost your former life, as in career, relationships and even hobbies ... wouldn't you be unhappy?

They confuse cause and effect, they have untestable and therefore nonscientific hypotheses, and their treatments don't improve functional capacity.

alex3619

If the theory disagrees with experimental results, the theory is wrong.

No way around that.

Actually, Popper ran into this problem. They keep making ad hoc changes ... theory was wrong, well, no, it was just not quite right, now we have fixed it! They then keep making such changes, ad infinitum. They also raise numerous spurious arguments against counter-claims. Each has to be defended against, and something interesting happens: most who read this stuff read the counter-arguments, but dont get to read all the rebuttals. So most people tend to think things are explained away. They need to get nailed down, there needs to be fair and open journal publication of rebuttals, and they need to agree at some point that indefinite ad hoc modifications of their hypotheses look increasingly untennable. They also need to stop releasing increasingly irrational press statements that rely on pursuasive rhetoric rather than evidence and reason.

The other problem is that entire brances of psychiatry do not embrace critical rationalism. They are empiricists ... just look at their study designs.

Enid

Doc's prejudice stands out for me - which I equate with ignorance, not keeping themselves informed or stuck with attitudes of the time learnt years ago at medical school or inability to admit "I just don't know" (as my Consultant Neurologist could).

Sean

Actually, Popper ran into this problem. They keep making ad hoc changes ... theory was wrong, well, no, it was just not quite right, now we have fixed it! They then keep making such changes, ad infinitum.

Deeper and deeper into ever more ludicrous cognitive contortions. Eventually such indulgent revisionism collapses under its own hair splitting and persistent discordancy from the real world.

See Ptolemy and his planetary epicycles.

alex3619

Deeper and deeper into ever more ludicrous cognitive contortions. Eventually such indulgent revisionism collapses under its own hair splitting and persistent discordancy from the real world.

See Ptolemy and his planetary epicycles.

Yes, but our goal is to make that happen, allied with anyone else who wants to see psychiatry based on science and not superstition.

The problem is we are not dealing with one lone theoretician. We are dealing with a global self reinforcing system, where support comes from medical dogma/tradition, an entire branch of psychiatry that is not scientific, and the rest of the medical community that does not like to see mediicine "attacked" even if its justified. Added to this they receive corporate and government support. Zombie science can and should be trashed, but its not as easy as things used to be.

Enid

Quite alex - not one lone theoretician but an impotent medical establishment unable to understand.

roxie60

The Dr in my recent IME has decided the majority of my 'complaints' are due to somatoform syndrome so he has concluded based on a 30 minute eval that I all my issues are in my head and that I dont need a Dr I need a psychiatrist. The more I think about his recap the angrier I get. Has anyone written a rebuttal to an IME evaluation they received?

I think I should put this ? in my LTD thread too

IreneF

I have a cat who suffers from somatoform disorders. She gets stressed very easily, mostly from interactions with other cats. She just doesn't like them, even when they are friendly. When one of the other cats got old, incontinent, and demented she started peeing blood. She's had other very expensive problems that could never be pinned down. We were told that Prozac might help, but she's a difficult cat to pill.

She's a cat, and unless she runs away from home she has to live with others. People, on the other hand, can alter their circumstances, and even when they can't, they can use insight and reason to help themselves. I suspect that somatoform disorders are more common among animals than people.

alex3619

The problem with somatoform disorders is that NONE of them are validated disorders, and there is no objective evidence of their existence. The argument basically comes down to "we don't know what is wrong, so it must be in the mind". Undiagnosed disorders, and disorders which might become diagnosable in the future, are simply dismissed. In some cases, including with ME, diagnosable disorders which can from known pathophysiology derive most of the symptoms are simply ignored.

Furthermore, the existence of somatoform disorders cannot be scientifically tested: the are not scientific. Every other aspect of Freudian psychotherapy has mostly been discredited and abandoned, but this area has not. Its overdue to be scrapped. Large numbers of people have died after having been told "its all in the mind", some from even very aggressive cancers. "Somatoform disorder" is a diagnosis of medical failure - it avoids having to admit medical failure and avoids further investigative tests.

PhoenixDown

I found another good link, perhaps we should Make a sticky/pinned thread for this kind of thing.

5. Illness "Due to the Thinking of the Patient"
The body of Aylward’s research and theoretical enquiry, ostensibly via the BPS model, has a peculiarly
singular slant considering the diverse nature of that perspective; that is a relentless emphasis on an
individual’s ‘beliefs’ and ‘attitudes’ towards their illness (Barnes et al, 2008). In this sense it could more
aptly be termed the ‘Psycho’ model of illness, with contributors drawn almost exclusively from within
that discipline. Publications exemplifying this bias are too numerous to mention, dominating as it does
the lobby’s discourse, but include Aylward’s co-authored book ‘The Power of Belief’ dedicated to
addressing the purported “epidemic of common health problems” that is said to be ‘beleaguering’ British
society.
A feature of the lobby’s literature in general is the framing of this ‘problem’ in ‘mysterious’ terms, as a
‘paradox’, something unexplainable against a context of the alleged ‘improvement’ in general health of
the nation. This assumption it will later be shown, based as it is on a generalisation of data, obscures the
uneven distribution of these health benefits across a society stratified by occupation.
A double standard is observable within the BPS lobby’s argument against the legitimacy of ‘symptom-
defined illnesses’ (such as IBS, stress and back conditions). The medical establishment is asserted to
have allowed the growth of ‘syndromes’, which they construct as having less validity than ‘diseases’,
counterpoised as having a solid pathological basis.
It is strongly ironic, then, that they do not hold psychology to the same criticism, since its epistemology
is practically founded on the creation of labels around sets of observed behaviours. Aylward and
LoCascio treat us to a round-up of some of the terms that have proliferated in psychology around
‘medically unexplained symptoms’: “hypochondriasis”, “hysteria”, “functional overlay”, “somatisation”,
“malingering”, “illness behaviour” etc” (Aylward and LoCascio, 1995,p.19) that they state has been to
‘confusing’ effect.
Though some might consider this inconsistency to be evidence of a flaw in that general theory, the
authors’ motive in recounting this seems to be more in order to establish that there is something there to
‘psychologise’.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32109159/Illness as Deviance.pdfHe also goes on to talk about Engel's cautions and ATOS work assessments.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32109159/Illness as Deviance.pdf

alex3619

I found another good link, perhaps we should Make a sticky/pinned thread for this kind of thing.

He also goes on to talk about Engel's cautions and ATOS work assessments.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32109159/Illness as Deviance.pdf

This is not the first interesting article from Gill Thorburn. I recall reading some very interesting ones a few years back.

I think he is missing something though. While I agree that BPS is more bPs and even just _P_, it was designed that way from the beginning. It was a rebadging of psychosomatic medicine, which was becoming increasingly irrelevant, and made more acceptable by describing it as an integrated approach. This model is really a fabrication, almost empty in its implementation, and can typically be considered to be just another name for psychosomatic medicine. However they sell it as the next great hope, particularly to bureaucrats. I hope to expand upon this in my book.

alex3619

She.

She has a blog here, although it does not seem to be active at the moment: http://downwithallthat.wordpress.com/

She refers to this page, which is worth reading: http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0303critic/030313illich/Frame.Illich.Ch2.html

Please note this: "Social Iatrogenesis
Medicine undermines health not only through direct aggression against individuals but also through the impact of its social organization on the total milieu. When medical damage to individual health is produced by a sociopolitical mode of transmission, I will speak of "social iatrogenesis," a term designating all impairments to health that are due precisely to those socio-economic transformations which have been made attractive, possible, or necessary by the institutional shape health care has taken."