• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The man who quit $ to live in a cave

Seewell

An interview with a man who lives without $
I dont think us with m.e cfs could survive living like this,i know i couldnt
Not sure i would want to either

"Meet Daniel Suelo. He's been living without money for 12 years. When our paths crossed synchronistically in Moab, I didn't want to miss the opportunity to learn from this wise man. I interviewed him and found his philosophy and way of living inspiring and visionary."

'The Man Who Quit Money' is a soulful journey into the spirit of Daniel Suelo.'
On a Spiritual Quest

Only when the last tree has died,
CreeCamp1871.jpg
the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we can't eat money.
-- Cree Proverb

maddietod

I got this book from my library! Very interesting guy. His biggest problem was no health support; his teeth were in terrible shape and he couldn't find a dentist to swap with.

Seewell

I could see his teeth were bad on the video :D
I looked up the book after watch the vid,its got some great reviews.i was thinking of getting it,was it good ?

caledonia

I've heard of this guy. You have to be healthy to live like that, or else "survival of the fittest" will weed you out.

If you're interested in this kind of stuff, check out the Simple Living Forum, Joe Dominguez' book "Your Money or Your Life", permaculture, etc.

Check out this guy, who lives only from what he grows in his backyard:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
He has a problem with his teeth because he eats processed food that comes from monied people who can afford to get the dental work. If he lived off the land this problem might not exist.
I think there is archeological evidence for dental caries will into the past, when people did live off of the land. It may not have been as common then.

Seewell

I've heard of this guy. You have to be healthy to live like that, or else "survival of the fittest" will weed you out.

This is what the guy above was saying.And is this a bad thing.
It would help if you had some land first to live that way,but then you need money for the land.

I will check out that vid.
If i wasnt ill i would love to have a garden,and try to live off that.
But i do love my meat ,my body needs it.Tryed living the vegetarian way.But felt awful

caledonia

I've researched this a lot, and have actually started in a small way expanding my garden. This year I planted a couple of apple trees and blueberry bushes. Luckily, I had some help - it was way more work than I thought. Even with the help, I was pemmed for a couple of weeks. After that though, the work input is minimal.

If your local zoning allows (or if you can get it changed), there are many small animals that can be used for meat/eggs/milk including pygmy goats, chickens, rabbits, and quail. They even have miniature cows now. Unfortunately, I'm not zoned for farm animals (even tiny ones).

Seewell

The words to the song below(for anyone who's interested) are very much in line with "Cave man Daniel Suelos"
thoughts ( https://sites.google.com/site/livingwithoutmoney/ )...

Im not sure i agree with the sentiment about GOD ?. But understand where hes coming from.
I feel ashamed to be a white human being sometimes.

Words by John Trudell
CRAZY HORSE
Crazy Horse
We Hear what you say
One earth one mother
One does not sell the earth
The people walk upon
We are the land
How do we sell our mother
How do we sell the stars
How do we sell the air
Crazy Horse
We hear what you say

Too many people
Standing their ground
Standing the wrong ground
Predators face he possessed a race
Possession a war that doesn't end
Children of god feed on children of earth
Days people don't care for people
These days are the hardest
Material fields material harvest
decoration on chains that binds
Mirrors gold the people lose their minds
Crazy Horse
We Hear what you say
One earth one mother
The people walk upon
We are the land
Today is now and then
Dream smokes touch the clouds
On a day when death didn't die
Real world time tricks shadows lie
Red white perception deception
Predator tries civilising us
But the tribes will not go without return
Genetic light from the other side
A song from the heart our hearts to give
The wild days the glory days live

Crazy Horse
We Hear what you say
One earth one mother
The people walk upon
We are the land
How do we sell our mother
How do we sell the stars
How do we sell the air

Crazy Horse
We hear what you say
Crazy Horse
We hear what you say
We are the seventh generation
We are the seventh generation

Seewell

I've researched this a lot, and have actually started in a small way expanding my garden. This year I planted a couple of apple trees and blueberry bushes. Luckily, I had some help - it was way more work than I thought. Even with the help, I was pemmed for a couple of weeks. After that though, the work input is minimal.

If your local zoning allows (or if you can get it changed), there are many small animals that can be used for meat/eggs/milk including pygmy goats, chickens, rabbits, and quail. They even have miniature cows now. Unfortunately, I'm not zoned for farm animals (even tiny ones).

That sounds great:)
I can't do that right now.But would like to !
I had to milk the goat when i was a kid.Used to give our dog a squirt of milk at the same time,she loved it.

Not sure i could keep animals,and then have to get the axe out.
But if i was doing it to survive maybe it would be a different story

Tristen

Growing up in the mountains living (partially) off the land, I do have the know how to easily function completely off the grid. And, I do have access to the property. But this would only have been a pre me/cfs possibility due to now being unable to do the physical exertion required to hunt, fish, and garden, etc. I still remain prepared for the possibility of this becoming an unexpected necessity. Doubt I would go for it 100% even if not sick. But like before, I would be investing in developing the property as back up.

Jarod

Great thread. Looking foward to watching the videos when I get a minute.

Sounds so appealing not to be tied to earning money. Also sounds great to get out of the city life and to nature which is easier on the nervous system.

Maybe one way to make it work might be have enough people to divide up the work?

Somebody is sewing the hats/gloves from furs, and the next person is hunting or gathering wood. Taking turns driving the tractor of course. :DThere is just too much work if one is hunting and gardening etc.

The key to making it a reality is figuring out a way to have some income. The Amish have a good program where they generate income by selling furniture and pickeld foods etc.

Figuring out a source of limited income for a community is key. Unless everybody in the world suddenly decides we are going to do a crowd sourced model. :thumbsup:

maddietod

I notice how housing costs are zero to minimal in both videos. 5 adults sharing a home while working the 1/10 acre is very efficient.

I notice also that the cost of all those solar panels isn't mentioned. This reminds me of Mr. Money Mustache ["early retirement through badassity"] who saved like a maniac through his 20s, bought a small house for cash, invested the rest, and now lives very simply with his wife and young son with nobody having to work. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/ Part of the trick is to have a high paying job in your 20s.

Seewell

Great thread. Looking foward to watching the videos when I get a minute.

Sounds so appealing not to be tied to earning money. Also sounds great to get out of the city life and to nature which is easier on the nervous system.

Maybe one way to make it work might be have enough people to divide up the work?

Somebody is sewing the hats/gloves from furs, and the next person is hunting or gathering wood. Taking turns driving the tractor of course. :DThere is just too much work if one is hunting and gardening etc.

The key to making it a reality is figuring out a way to have some income. The Amish have a good program where they generate income by selling furniture and pickeld foods etc.

Figuring out a source of limited income for a community is key. Unless everybody in the world suddenly decides we are going to do a crowd sourced model. :thumbsup:

I all give you 5 chickens if you fix my roof :D