• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypersomniacs - have you tried Skullcap?

Skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora) has been a miracle supplement for me, so I thought I'd post in case it might help someone else.

I've had hypersomnia all my life. Every day has been a struggle to get in enough just to function. Even at my best it was 10 hours a night during the week with 14-15 at the weekend. For the last few years it has been at least 12 hours a night.

About a month ago I started taking skullcap after reading that it may help reduce seizures and that Dr DeMeirleir uses epilepsy drugs to treat the hypersomnia in his patients ( http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...iations-video-series-dr-de-meirleir-on-sleep/ ).

Within a few days it went from 12 to a more normal 8 to 9, and it has stayed that way.

Needless to say, I spent the first few days in a state of shock. I have never in my life been able to get by on 9 hours sleep. I'm still having trouble believing it!

tandrsc, when do you take the skullcap? I think it is in at least one of my bedtime herbal teas.

I make a strong mug of tea with 2 level teaspoons, let it cool, strain and put it in the fridge. I then take 30ml (2 tablespoons) of the tea in half a glass of warm water 5 times a day - before each meal, mid afternoon and before bed.

I think dose is a bit of trial and error. I initially tried half this amount and didn't really notice a difference.

valentinelynx

About a month ago I started taking skullcap after reading that it may help reduce seizures and that Dr DeMeirleir uses epilepsy drugs to treat the hypersomnia in his patients ( http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...iations-video-series-dr-de-meirleir-on-sleep/ ).

Within a few days it went from 12 to a more normal 8 to 9, and it has stayed that way.

Needless to say, I spent the first few days in a state of shock. I have never in my life been able to get by on 9 hours sleep. I'm still having trouble believing it!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Cort was saying DeMeriler prescribes antiepileptic drugs to improve sleep architecture (that is to improve the quality of sleep) not to shorten total sleep time. Although I suppose that if your sleep quality is poor you might look like you have hypersomnia as you might spend more time in bed to get the necessary amount of sleep.

Technically, hypersomnia means you need more sleep than the average person. I"ve always had this as well, not feeling rested without at least 9 1/2 hours of sleep even when healthy. Now I spend 12 hours trying to sleep on a typical night but I don't know how many of those hours are actual sleep.

Skullcap is purportedly something of a sedative, so perhaps it does help improve sleep quality, thus shortening the time you need to sleep. In any case, I am glad it is helping you.

You are correct. I was thinking that my length of sleep might be caused by its quality being rubbish.

Needing 12 hours sleep is no fun.

I used to sleep normally. For me hypersomnia started,when I got CFS. Not only I need too many hours of sleep, but I also have this feeling of my whole body and mind being poisoned for about 2-3 hours after waking. I tried skullcap recently, I sleep so much less now, and the poisoned feeling diminished significantly. I also have less fatigue and brain fog. I've only been taking it for a couple of days, and I don't know, what will happen next, but I'm loving the effects so far. I didn't expect much from skullcap, it was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited: