• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Vit C another possible cause of high blood histamine..

Here's an interesting article: (http://jn.nutrition.org/content/110/4/662.full.pdf) that discusses high whole blood histamine as a result of low Vitamin C. I found this interesting because Walsh decribes high histamine as a good indicator of undermethylation, but I guess low vit C can do the same thing.

"Clearly, ascorbic acid loading can be used as a test to determine the cause of an elevated blood histaminelevel. If the blood histamine level falls as a result of ascorbic acid administration, we may reasonably conclude that it was elevated as a result of ascorbic acid deficiency. Statistical analysis has shown that plasma reduced ascorbic acid levels below 0.7 mg/ 100 ml are associated with significantly
elevated blood histamine levels,"

Maybe this is a good reason for me to take some vitamin C supps.

PennyIA

I know that with my recently higher allergic response to everything, my doctor suggested I started some vitamin C supplements. Here's hoping... I'd rather not break out in hives a couple of times a month. And, what I wouldn't do to be eligible to take prescription pain killers stronger than ibuprofen again. (Oral surgery scheduled next week - but I'd give my left kidney to have something to help me with the pain).

PennylA, is that a recommendation from your primary physician? What was his recommend dose for you?

PennyIA

He's an MD who studies integrative health and I've only just had my first appointment with him. His recommendation is 1 gram a day.

Ema

I did Vitamin C IVs - 75 g three times a week - for about 6-8 months to try to fight chronic EBV. I also had read about the possibility of lowering histamine levels but unfortunately that was not my experience. My whole blood histamine levels never budged from their high level. Grrr.

Wow Ema that sounds rather intensive. Did you notice any improvement from the IVs? I had no idea vit C was used to overcome a virus. I thought it was possible to get kidney stones on too high a dose of Vit C. I just bought some and I think I will most likely stick near the 1 to maybe 2g a day level.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Wow Ema that sounds rather intensive. Did you notice any improvement from the IVs? I had no idea vit C was used to overcome a virus. I thought it was possible to get kidney stones on too high a dose of Vit C. I just bought some and I think I will most likely stick near the 1 to maybe 2g a day level.
You could try titrating upward to bowel tolerance. In fact, I think I will do that myself the next time that my eyes are burning, just to see.