• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Transdermal Magnesium Oil for raising DHEA levels

Rand56

I've known about this claim for awhile but I was curious to know if any of you have any anecdotal evidence of this to be true in your case? From recent testing, my DHEA levels are low and currently taking some micronized pregnenolone caps. I still have some mag oil that I temporarily used awhile back so I might as well start doing some transdermal applications again.

"Dr. Norm Shealy, has tested magnesium oil using it transdermally against oral and intravenous applications. He emphasizes that through magnesium transdermal use, DHEA levels raise within a short period of time. Dr. Shealy also states that the best absorbed oral magnesium is magnesium taurate, but in his experience, it takes up to five years of taking oral magnesium to restore intracellular levels to normal range. But using magnesium oil transdermally, it restores the intracellar levels within four weeks."

http://www.puremagoil.com/dhea.htm

Sparrow

I would approach this one with skepticism. I've been using daily transdermal magnesium oil for about two years now. It's fantastic for easing my muscle spasms and twitching. ...But my DHEA level is still super low.

Ema

HUGE amounts of skepticism...this "study" seems to be a patent application that makes the claim without providing much evidence in terms of a possible mechanism.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20050089581

There is a chart where they show that magnesium levels hardly came up (and in some cases fell!) with the application of transdermal magnesium. How is that even possible?

DHEA levels did come up a bit but the units are wonky. DHEA-s is generally measured in ug/dl which would equal 127.52 increased to 153.18 for patient 1, for example. That's hardly anything to write home about and still lower than the optimal for a woman. It looks like they chose those units to make the increase look more than it really is...which seems shady to me from the get go. 1275.2 to 1531.8 looks like a much greater increase, right? But it is exactly the same with data manipulation.

They don't even try to explain the cases where the level dropped.

I love transdermal mag. I think it has lots of great uses. But I don't think raising DHEA is one of them.

Ema

Rand56

Thanks Sparrow and Ema. I was, and still am skeptical about it myself. Reading up on it on the net, quite a few others are skeptical about it as well. I won't hold my breath hoping someone will report that their DHEA levels shot right up from taking mag oil LOL

Rand

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I would approach this one with skepticism. I've been using daily transdermal magnesium oil for about two years now. It's fantastic for easing my muscle spasms and twitching. ...But my DHEA level is still super low.
Maybe it is because of this:
http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?3101-Is-topical-magnesium-oil-an-effective-DHEA-booster

I wouldn´t expect magnesium oil to up my DHEA either, as for that what I need is the adrenals/HPA axid working well. Maybe for someone healthy it would work.

Last edited:

Hip

Anyone who wants to raise their DHEA can simply take DHEA supplements, or better still, take 7-keto DHEA. These are quite cheap and widely available in the US (in the UK DHEA is not available OTC, but you can just order from the US).

One study found that DHEA improves pain, fatigue, anxiety, memory and sexual problems in ME/CFS patients. 1

I found that a dose of more than around 25 mg of DHEA daily made me aggressive, which I do not like. So I suggest you start on low doses if you want to try DHEA. Or use 7-keto DHEA, which does not metabolize into hormones like testosterone which makes you aggressive.

Sparrow

I echo that about low doses. I got super over-emotional at 25mg/day. DHEA can also increase the risk of hormone-related cancers, so it's worth it to be as sparing as possible. Everything's always a trade-off.