• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ambien/Zolpidem - problems with withdrawal?

joyce.swing

elmtree
I had been on clonazepam for 13 yrs and have been trying to taper off over the past couple of years but ran into difficulty b/c of withdrawal side effects. More than one physician has strongly encouraged me to stop clonazepam because of it CNS side effects - and I have problems with cognition - the typical ones seen in CFS, and they are pretty severe problems with organizing my thoughts, concentration, consolidation of memory - I learn things for a couple days, and then the knowledge is gone. Anyway, I was given a presciption for Zolipem, 5 mg. I have been taking it for about 3 months most nights and completely stopped the clonazepam without problem. Now, of course I am concerned about developing a dependence on zolipem which will be just as hard to deal with. Any one out there with experiences using Zolpidem, problems with dependency, withdrawal?

Zolpidem is not meant to be used for more than a few days. The prescribing info says how long. Doctors are not following the prescribing info but I was told by the emergency room physician that there are many problems from this medication because it's powerful and the pharmaceutical company is not being listened to (prescribing info). I had terrible experiences with it and 2 friends did too while on it. I loved it because I could fall asleep (normally a very big problem) but after I stopped it I would realize all the harm it was doing to me. I read hundreds of internet posts about this drug and the experiences were similar to mine. I don't think everyone has a bad reaction but I think it's important to completely stop the drug sometimes and see the difference.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i think one has to weigh up the risks to benefits with their doctor. The sleep dysfunction in cfs is mostly caused by the hypothalamus being on the blink, at the moment nothing is going top directly fix this. If one doesnt get proper sleep then energy levels suffer, driving accident increase, generall fall increase with risks to injury. sleep deprivation also causes increased risks oh hypertension and diabetes that further increase the risk of myocardial infarctions and strokes, the list goes on. So not treatinf increases the risk factors for so many more issues.

these issues can be treated to reduce the risk factors with the safe use of sleep meds to help advoid addiction and tolerence
. constantly alternating different meds and taking regular sleep med holiday can prevent side effects.

I think lack of sleep has more longterm issued then treating this problems with meds. Chronic conditiond require a different approach to improve quality of live. On the internet we only seem to see the negative aspects of sleep meds but to not much about the positiveffects these treatments ahve which i think out weight the negstive by a long shot.

It comes down to shelf education.

Dependency is very different to addiction, it like how someone with high blood pressure is dendent of meds to control bp but they are addicted.

My functionality to would be much lower if i hadnt used sleep meds

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I am trying to withdraw from Zopiclone which is a similar drug to Zolpidem. All I can say is try to get off it as soon as you can, the Z drugs are not meant to be taken for more than 2 weeks and even in that time can build up a dependency. Don't just stop it though you need a withdrawal plan.

arx

I had been on clonazepam for 13 yrs and have been trying to taper off over the past couple of years but ran into difficulty b/c of withdrawal side effects. More than one physician has strongly encouraged me to stop clonazepam because of it CNS side effects - and I have problems with cognition - the typical ones seen in CFS, and they are pretty severe problems with organizing my thoughts, concentration, consolidation of memory - I learn things for a couple days, and then the knowledge is gone. Anyway, I was given a presciption for Zolipem, 5 mg. I have been taking it for about 3 months most nights and completely stopped the clonazepam without problem. Now, of course I am concerned about developing a dependence on zolipem which will be just as hard to deal with. Any one out there with experiences using Zolpidem, problems with dependency, withdrawal?

Hi,

I have used Zolpidem 12.5 for about 3 months and had no problems with withdrawing from it. My doctor recently removed it from the prescription and I don't think I've experienced any withdrawal from it. The only withdrawal I have faced is from benzos and SSRI/SNRIs.That was horrible.
With Ambien/Zolpidem, after some days I had sort of developed a dependency to it. Initially for some days it gave me good sleep,but then no effect. I never felt much effect from it anyways, except for the hazy feeling. I don't think with 5 mg you're gonna get withdrawal. I was on 12.5 everyday.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
arx
I would never underestimate the strngth of some of these drugs on people, I know what I felt like the one night I forgot to take the Z - thought I was going mad and then saw the tablet on the bedside the following morning, a horrendous night but I was relieved in a way that it was because of the drug - or lack of it - everyone is different.
I've been on it 4yrs so desperately need to come off it now.

arx

maryb

Yes,you're right. It has a different effect on different people. But different opinions do help.