• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Xifaxan - big problems

Daffodil

Hi all. I once felt better for a week after taking Xifaxan, so my doc wanted me to try a higher dose for a longer period of time (2 weeks).

This time, I just got worse and worse, and stayed that way. I am currently going through hell with INTENSE inflammation, chest pain, etc. It has been about 2 weeks since I stopped the drug.

Did anyone get worse with Xifaxan and if so, how long did it last before you were back to prior levels of functioning?

Thanks a lot
Sue

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I didn't get worse daff - but I didn't feel well whilst I was on it and was glad to finish the week's course.
I don't think sometimes more is better - the week you were on it probably did what was needed?
Have you started probiotics - I used VSL#3
Its a pretty powerful a/biotic in the gut kills everything.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I didn't get worse daff - but I didn't feel well whilst I was on it and was glad to finish the week's course.
I don't think sometimes more is better - the week you were on it probably did what was needed?
Have you started probiotics - I used VSL#3
Its a pretty powerful a/biotic in the gut kills everything.

I agree about the dose, that could have been the problem...and also about the probiotic--you would need a very powerful one now daily. VSL#3 has 450 billion micro-organisms per packet. But that might not be the particular formula you need.

Sushi

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I know Sushi thats the problem, if you don't have the stool test before the xifaxan to identify which good bacteria you need then its trial and error to find one that suits. Some people are made worse, as I have been when using them.