• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Down to three basic foods

OkRadLakPok

I have had a terrible time. Started at 14 and went on mainly rice diet. NOW to find there are high level sof arsenic in rice. I have symptoms (fibrosing of hands, rash, etc) and have had to go off rice. This leave me with:

Yogurt
Chickpeas
Bananas

That is what I live off of now. I sometimes eat sardines and sometime eat Hemp seeds for protein. I drink olive oil for calories.

I can still eat veggies, but only the organic salads and cabbages. I cannot eat carrots anymore or onions. I can eat garlic.

Sometimes I can eat an orange or an apple.

It's so hard. I do take methyfolate and hyroxyB12 but only a bit as my potassium has gone down and thyroid became sluggish.

Anyone else down to three or less major foods? It's so hard!!!!

snowathlete

Sounds really difficult. Sorry this is your situation. I am fortunate in not having food issues, but I know you are not the only one in your situation, so Im sure someone will offer some advice.

jeffrez

That is hard, went through that for many years. Gradually have been able to expand my diet to a few more, but still relatively limited.

Can you eat quinoa? It's a complete protein, could act as a rice replacement. It might help to know the foods you were eating that you just lost and why you can't eat them or other things anymore (allergy, candida, etc.). What symptoms do you get when you eat other foods (aside from the rice)?

I am on:
sheep goat dairy - usually only yoghurt, a lot of cheeses hurt my stomach
almonds
chicken or red meat
walnuts
The only vegetables I can eat at the moment without pain or constipation:
tomatos, cucumber cooked pumpkin, cooked courgette (zuchinni), beetroot

When the pain improves, I widen the diet. My gut pain and food tolerance go up and down generally.
I made the mistake of trying a few supplements that helped people here on PR and it has made my gut worse.

It's odd how your narrow diet is so different to mine.

2 things helped me:
large doses of vitamin C - ester C
raw camel milk

Since your tolerated foods are different to mine, I don't know if you have the same gut problems as me.
Raw camel milk in particular is said to help with food intolerance. There is one paper by prof Yagil paper on food allergies and camel milk.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
so sorry to hear this.

I have some restrictions but not this many.

I hope you are able to figure something out.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@OkRadLakPokra

I have many food intolerances too. Its an absolute pain.
Can you give a bit more info in order that people may be able to help?

eg. What are your symptoms? Also re food - Are they inolerances or full blown allergies? Acid? Meat/chicken?
Have you had any gut testing - bacteria, parasites etc? H pylori?

Most of us have something gut/food related issues. All I can say at this point is I too existed on around 4 foods (including brown rice) for about a year but have been aable to move onto a decent diet, sort off!! since then.

OkRadLakPok

Hi everyone! Thank you for the replies! To add a bit-

I have had extensive metal exposure through a diet almost exlcusively of fish and rice (mercury and aresenic) plus, I was exposed in utero with a shot with caused me to be a preemie and again at 14 with the MMR booster which left me disabled for a while.

I have mutations on the CYP and NAT genes which mean I am a poor metabolizer of meds, toxins, and metal.
I also have TWO DOUBLE mutations on the COMT and 1/2 on a MTHFR so fake folic and b12 is way out

When I eat, it is hard to eat because it makes me feel worse. Here are symtpoms after I eat:

Blood sugar can spike
feel wiped right out
never feel full
Feel like I have not eaten at all
Dizzy
confused
mentally blocked
OCD ish
Digestion gets very bad- cannot digest most foods. I either get cramps from hell, or gas from hell. Stomach always in knots
Just always so DAMN HUNGRY unless I take the mehtylfolate and Hyroxy B12, but then I have the low potassium

MCS very bad. Cannot even be in a store unless I have earplugs. Cannot go out without sunglasses. Odours drive me crazy. This is NOT all in my head because I can come into the house and give a full reading of who has been in there in the last 8 hours. My family is blown away, but now they believe me when I say I smell tobacco or something.

Recently I have been afraid to eat because I have been having allergic reactions to low allergy foods. I took some liquid chlorella and ended up with a rash and anaphylaxisa nd had to call 911
After that, I took a sip of Aloe and same thing. This time I took Benedryl and was OK after about 8 hours.

So I am afraid to eat so when I do, I eat a lot. Gained weight since I had to go off the rice. :-(

I hope that helps. It is a nightmare and while I am sad others are in the same boat, I hope to learn from those who have the same troubles.

PS: CAMEL MILK sounds awesome!! I liked goat milk till I discovered THEY PUT FAKE FOLIC ACID IN THE GOAT MILK!!!!!! Now I cannot even drink that!

baccarat

A friend used to be in a similar situation, for years he could only eat a few foods and for several months only raw milk but from a special breed of cows (he did not tolerate any other type of milk or dairy). Without this cow he would have probably passed away. He was also electrosensitive. Eventually he was treated by Dr Rea (or a colleague) and last time I spoke to him he was doing fine.
http://planetthrive.com/category/experts/rea/

camas

I've been there, and know just how miserable it is. At one time I was down to four foods and my doctor at the time started me on a medical food (Metagenics UltraClear) which was to help restore my liver. I started with very small amounts and slowly worked up. After doing the UltraClear for a month or more, I was able to eat more foods.

My really bad food reactions (throat swelling, asthma, etc.) stopped when I began Klonopin. This made no sense to me until I learned that I have mast cell activation and that Klonopin is a mast cell stabilizer (helps stop the flow of histamine, prostaglandins, etc). I still react some to high histamine foods, so am avoiding them.

With the symptoms you are experiencing, you might want to look into mastoycytosis and mast cell activation. I have some links in my signature on the symptoms, testing, and treatments.

OkRadLakPok

Hi Cam! Indeed I have consider Mast cell disorders and have an appt with an allergist. It is not till June though. Grrr.
That drink looked great till I see it is made of rice. I cannot do rice . Arrrg. My hands are fibrosing because of the mercury and arsenic I have ingested as well as gadolinium from an MRI dye and all the metals in shots. My genes cannot tolerate those metals at all. .

When I get the allergy tests, I will let you know how they go.

That is amazing about Klonopin! I have never heard that before. But I will certainly research that right now.
Thank you!

camas

Hi Cam! Indeed I have consider Mast cell disorders and have an appt with an allergist. It is not till June though. Grrr.
That drink looked great till I see it is made of rice. I cannot do rice . Arrrg. My hands are fibrosing because of the mercury and arsenic I have ingested as well as gadolinium from an MRI dye and all the metals in shots. My genes cannot tolerate those metals at all. .

When I get the allergy tests, I will let you know how they go.

That is amazing about Klonopin! I have never heard that before. But I will certainly research that right now.
Thank you!

Yeah, Dr. Afrin recommends starting with H1 and H2 blockers and working up to 4-8 mg of lorazepam, clonazepam (klonopin), or alprazolam. (That seems like a lot to me since I'm only on .5 mg of klonopin!) It's all in his 77 page paper in the link below. If you'd like a printable version, please feel free to pm your e-mail address to me, and I'll send you a copy.

I sure hope your allergist will be able to help. It's really tough trying to get by on so few foods.

i am down to just a few foods.... and still have contiuous problems (but better by avoiding most food). not sure what allergy docs can do for multiple (100s) of foods, and (1000s) chemicals. i am surprised you can do banana. you might check out phenols and/or salicylates:
http://scdlifestyle.com/2010/04/phenols-and-salicylates-what-they-are-and-why-it-matters/
there are books and diets related to this. once again, very few docs have any idea of such things.
http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionsensitivities.htm
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

maryb

iherb code TAK122
OkRadLakPok
I hear you on over eating - once I feel okay on something thats what I tend to do.
I constantly feel frustrated but mainly because I hate cooking and I only eat freshly prepared food other than gluten free bread and rice milk. I just wish I could pick up a sandwich and carry on with the day sometimes.

Zyrtec is another anti-histamine that may help

The 3 foods you eat are a big no no for me - funny how we're all so different.

Its just trial and error and the 5 day rotation diet might be a way to help you?? . Are you able to see a nutritionist?

As for MCS you are amongst family here - mine was at its worst when I had more food intolerances so a big link as far as I can see. .

Mould and dust are biggies for me. I had to get my house really cleaned up and air filters in to help control my symptoms. Our immediate environment has a big impact on us.

brenda

kRadLakPok

Hi

I am heading your way myself. I have recently gone low salicylate, but have not had much improvement so it looks like sulphur and oxylates may also be an issue.

My next step looked like eating 4 foods for a month and I don`t like the sound of that.

So my thoughts have been regarding the macrobiotic diet which I have been on a few times to much benefit. The healing diet is much stricter than the normal one and it is suggested to eat organic short grain brown rice alone for 10 days, pressure cooked for an hour in 3x the usual amount of water and well chewed. Of course then we must consider the arsenic problem.

I have been looking into this and found the following:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...inorganic-arsenic-rice-consumption-brown-rice

Choose California. Of the domestic rices tested by Consumer Reports, California rices had lower levels of arsenic than those in other states. FDA rice results also indicated that some U.S. rice had lower levels of arsenic, but the data it released to the public did not specify states of origin.

There are ways to reduce arsenic including washing the rice well.

STUDY IN ABERDEEN

The researchers from the University of Aberdeen, UK, bought different brands and varieties of rice milk, including
organic, non-organic and flavoured, from local supermarkets. They also made 'home-made' rice milk, from rice grown in different parts of the world, with a commercially-available machine.
They showed that of four brands of commercial rice milk tested, all exceeded the EU total arsenic standard of 10 µg l-1 - some by as much as three times. Eighty per cent of samples also failed to meet the US standard of 10 µg l-1 inorganic arsenic.
Of the samples of 'home-made' rice milk made by the researchers, all met US standards and only one failed to meet EU standards.
It is questionable, the researchers say, if rice milk counts as a water substitute - where it would be regulated by these directives - or as a food. But they believe that in this case the distinction between the two should not be made. "Whether rice milk is a food or a drink is a moot point," the researchers say in the paper. ".if rice milk is a dietary constituent on a regular basis, then chronic arsenic exposure, at levels deemed unsafe under the EU water drinking directive, will occur."
The authors also note that currently no maximum permissible concentration (MPC) for arsenic in food has been set by the Commission of European Communities - meaning arsenic levels in food are effectively unregulated in Europe and elsewhere. "Given that arsenic in its inorganic form . is a chronic human carcinogen, it is surprising that MPCs have not been set for this element," they say.
References

Meharg et al, J. Environ. Monit., 2008, DOI: 10.1039/b800981c

*Note that the home made rice milk was ok.

As I have high levels of arsenic too, this is important to me. I am going to go ahead with the diet. It has a good record of healing people from serious illness and I think that the benefits may overcome any negative aspects. It certainly made a huge difference to me when I tried it before (but did not stick to it as it is hard to do at first)

Waverunner

Foods are a big problem for me, too. The more you avoid, the more problematic it will get in the long run. It's the same with fructose malabsorption, the current treatment is to stay away from fructose but your body will tolerate less and less amounts. I wish I could name solution, but I can't. The present medical knowledge sucks and is not advanced enough to offer anything except anti-histamines and cortisone, but both do nothing for me.

OkRadLakPok

Rats! That is what I was thinking. If I stay too far away from foods, I will be able to eat less of it.

However, in the past it was never like this. People are in food jags. Never before have we been so exposed to so many different foods. And some researchers think that is why there is so much food allergies and mast cell disorders on rise!

So I am not sure what to do. You are right---the "standard treatment" is pathetic.

We are in a medical awakening for the patient. We are starting to see how low information Drs generally really are. We used to think they knew. Now we know they know almost nothing. At any rate I am not impressed with most. A few yes. Most no.

Waverunner

We are in a medical awakening for the patient. We are starting to see how low information Drs generally really are. We used to think they knew. Now we know they know almost nothing. At any rate I am not impressed with most. A few yes. Most no.

I've been to a lot docs in the last months and I agree 100% with you. In my eyes these people are not doctors, they a disease managers.

Funny facts, anti-histamines and cortisone are the two main treatment options for allergies. What most people don't know is, that both are more than 60 years old. Nearly nothing has changed in the treatment field since then. The main problem however is, that there are thousands of studies out there, that made relevant findings for the understanding and origin of allergies but nobody cares. It's like the whole medical field just doesn't care.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
OkRadLakPok
I'd just like to say thanks for starting this thread - I drink rice milk all the time - I don't eat as much rice as I used to but did practically live on it fora couple of years. I vaguely remember reading something about arsenic a while ago but reading this thread has made me more aware of it.
Its something I now need to look at that needs changing- coffee without milk?? God what we're reduced to hey. I'm going to check on how to make your own, not a lot of use if it requires a lot of energy though.