• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

worried sick.

Fuzzyhead

I am worried sick waiting to see a neurologist and to have an mri brain scan after having a ct scan that showed 3 white hypodensity shadows, 2 on my left side and one on my right side. My gp said not to worry but how can i not when i am having head symptoms every day. I get dizziness when i lay down/get up/turn my head in bed etc and my head inside feels like its swaying from side to side all day. I have left sided headaches, left sided pressure, brain fog and my right arm and leg keep feeling different to my left when my heads bad. I am worrying about ms or something worse.

golden

Its awful having to wait. Ideally we would be tested in a couple of days.

And with your constant symptoms as a reminder...

When someone tells me not to worry, and I cant help but worry, this just adds to the pressure.

Sometimes I try giving myself permission to worry and even deliberately trying to worry (if that makes sense) and this has broken the internal conflict and the worry dissipated..

(Other times thats useless advice)

I had the most appalling dizziness that have ever known over a year ago. The left half of my face and left arm all went numb and the left front side of my head felt swollen. After weeks it became totally unbearable and I felt like my head was going tl explode.

Then I got three fairly big lumps arou.d my right ear, and the pressure eased up considerably.

I did actually get to the Doctor on this rare occasion. He booked me in for an MRI in x8 weeks.

When the appointment arrived I was too ill to get there and cancelled it. Another was made but by thus time the lumps had gone so I didnt want to have to endure a Doctor saying 'she said sge had lumps' - There are clearly no lumps etc!

But I have had a hard time recovering from it and the new symptoms that came with it.

Is it very windy where you are? I find when its very windy my worry increases whereas if it was warm and sunny it would be cobsiderably less.

Saying a prayer for you x

Yes, I remember having to wait for an MRI scan, neuro ordered one after I told him about my symptoms which at the time were mostly neurological and making life intolerably difficult. I didn't have to wait too long but by that time, almost a year into illness and getting worse each day I was convinced something terrible was happening and the source was in my brain. I was surprised and relieved after the results came back all clean. The neurologist was very dismissive though, and only offered antidepressants which would eventually worsen my condition.

I hope your results come back fine, it can be a trying time but ultimately it's important to rule out other things. Doing the rounds at first with CT scans, MRI's, blood tests, etc. is a common theme with this illness.

If you've never had an MRI before, you're in for some loud and weird noises, but don't worry they cover you up quite good. Let us know how it went.

Fuzzyhead

I have had 2 mri's in the past 10 years and they have always came back clear since having cfs/m.e. This is why i am worried that 3 shadows have shown up on the ct scan this time and been getting new symptoms.

Nielk

I'm sorry Fuzzyhead that you are going through this trying time.
Are these symptoms new for you? Is that why they took the scans? How long ago have you had your last MRI?
Telling someone "don't worry" is actually counterproductive. I hope that you don't have to wait much longer.
Thinking about you,
Nielk

golden

I did a quick search and found this thread. Maybe it will provide some additional insight about MRI's and brain lesions. Hope you feel better soon.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/mris-and-brain-lesions-in-cfs-patients.2888/

I was just on the internet searching for something similar...forgot to search the PR data base! Its brilliant.

Koans comment was interesting 'dont let them diagnose you with MS'...

I wouldnt have thought about this otherwise...

I was looking for the info. which shows CT scans to be quite inaccurate too...

Fuzzyhead - Good Luck with your Test

Fuzzyhead

Its about 4 years ago since my last mri scan. Yes i have been getting new symptoms and my gp was just saying cfs/m.e and anxiety but i asked for a cat scan and these shadows were found.

Mij

Hi Fuzzyhead,

I'm curious about the swaying from side to side you experience. I had this the first 8yrs of illness but eventually it went away.. Does the swaying from side to side go away when you are in a lying down position? Does it get worse when you feel stressed or anxious?

I still have the positional veritgo off and on so I understand how stressed you feel, it can be quite intense.

The unknown keeps us worried but you're getting the testing done to rule things out so that's a good thing. Hang in there.

Fuzzyhead

Mij, its like what came first the chicken or the egg i don't know if when i am stressed or anxious it makes it worse or the swaying causes me to be anxious if you know what i mean.
When i have the swaying i even have it laying down and when i shut my eyes it feels like the inside of my heads swaying.
I have positional type vertigo when i lay down/get up,turn over in bed etc.

Jarod

I was just on the internet searching for something similar...forgot to search the PR data base! Its brilliant.

Koans comment was interesting 'dont let them diagnose you with MS'...

I wouldnt have thought about this otherwise...

I was looking for the info. which shows CT scans to be quite inaccurate too...

Fuzzyhead - Good Luck with your Test

Technology can be great sometimes.:)

I think those lesions can come and go. Haven't checked mine recently.