• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Clinician Panel Lists Top Drugs to Explore at FDA Workshop

Gemini

ME/CFS clinicians unanimously agreed antivirals and immune modulating agents were the top two drugs they's like to explore during the FDA's Workshop April 26, 2013.

FDA posed the question: "If you had a drug or intervention you'd like to explore, what would be your top one or two or three choice?" Drs. Bateman, Klimas, Corbin, Chu, & Montoya were on the panel.

Dr. Bateman answered with her priority list (below) & other panel members concurred:

1. Antivirals
2. Immune modulating agents
For symptom relief:
3. Pain medications
4. Stimulants for cognition
5. Sleep medications
6. Orthostatic intolerance medications

Audience members added:
7. Large-scale Rituxan clinical trial
8. VO2 max agents

This part of the meeting is on page 66 the MS Word transcription, post #125 on the FDA Workshop thread.

Hope future FDA meetings will address the ME/CFS priority list since discussion was limited this time, "just say them, not discuss them" was asked of the panel.

Desdinova

What!?????o_O Much of that list flies in the face of the CDC's ME/CFS guide?:rolleyes:
What did the FDA say about those suggestions? Most of those recommendation seems generic and not specific. Won't the FDA just run home to the CDC to see what they recommend? Isn't that basically what they do 90+ % of the time?

Gemini

What!?????o_O Much of that list flies in the face of the CDC's ME/CFS guide?:rolleyes:
What did the FDA say about those suggestions? Most of those recommendation seems generic and not specific. Won't the FDA just run home to the CDC to see what they recommend? Isn't that basically what they do 90+ % of the time?

Desdinova, you're right! :rolleyes:

Clinicians who've treated thousands of ME/CFS patients told the FDA they want antivirals & immune modulating agents.

FDA thanked them for their input.

Be watching to see what FDA does about it...& how patient groups support the suggestions.

LaurelW

Ampligen is an antiviral and immune modulator. They had it right in the palm of their hands, and they let it get away....

Desdinova

Ampligen is an antiviral and immune modulator. They had it right in the palm of their hands, and they let it get away....

From what I followed they were concerned over missing data largely over patients who quite and / or dropped out with no clear reason given as to why. That was IMO just plain sloppy on the part of whomever was in charge of tracking and data collection. That combined with suicides of some participants along with some health problems with (I believe) heart issues or cancer (going by memory) was enough for them to pull the plug.

The FDA clearly IMO gleamed it's info on CFS/ME from the CDC probably from there public website. And they're thinking what's being treated and discussed is the symptom of Chronic Fatigue along with other other various symptoms. A serious condition yes but life and death serious nope, not in their opinion. Not with missing data, unfulfilled or insufficient information given, suicides and other health issue in the picture.

So If I'm right and they're basing their decisions largely off of whats available via the CDC's public website they'll drag their feet following up and when they do it will be a canned response.