• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium + taurine vs magnesium taurate

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I usually take magnesium citrate and am fine with it. I've been reading about magnesium taurate recently and given I have developed a very fast heart rate and other stuff wondered if I should consider this instead.
From what I've read it is 90% taurine so 1000mg would only give me 100mg of magnesium.
I take about 400mg of mag a day.

So would it give the same effect to take taurine on its own in addition to the mag or is the mag taurate a special combination?
Given my sensitivities it would make sense for me to start it this way, just wondered what others do?

adreno

PR activist
I believe you would get the same effect by combining Mg with regular taurine. It would be much cheaper, too.

perchance dreamer

Taurine is supposed to be inhibitory, but it wires me and gives me awful insomnia, even taken 1st thing in the morning. One of my doctors is also affected this way.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
adreno
- thanks I was hoping that would be the case - I may try just a tiny dose of taurine and stick with the usual mag to start with.

perchance dreamer
that doesn't sound too good despite it being described as having a calming,relaxing effect - but we're very individual and one thing I've certainly found especially with this illness is what suits one another can't tolerate - I have a major problem with sleeping - just in the process of trying to taper off Zopiclone so don't need my sleep worsening - Like I say I'll maybe try a very small dose.

adreno
- thanks I was hoping that would be the case - I may try just a tiny dose of taurine and stick with the usual mag to start with.

perchance dreamer
that doesn't sound too good despite it being described as having a calming,relaxing effect - but we're very individual and one thing I've certainly found especially with this illness is what suits one another can't tolerate - I have a major problem with sleeping - just in the process of trying to taper off Zopiclone so don't need my sleep worsening - Like I say I'll maybe try a very small dose.

Maryb, as you have pointed out so well the amount of elemental magnesium you are receiving is not that much.

There is a form of magnesium that is absorbed 100% at the cellular level does not go through the GI tract as it goes directly to the cells where it is needed the most.

It is an oral form of magnesium and is called ReMag you can find it here, http://www.rnadrops.info/products/remag taking just 250 mg. ReMag would be the equivilent of taking 2500 mg. of what you are taking now.

If you are interested in learning more about forms of magnesium, and other supplements that are necessary for the proper metabolism of magnesium, you can join the Magnesium Advocacy Group on face book. Go here, http://drcarolyndean.com/ in the upper right hand corner of the link click on contact and ask Dr. Carolyn Dean a question about magnesium and she will refere you to the magnesium advocacy group with a link you can click on and so you can join the group and ask as many questions about magnesium and many other things.

You can read my real life experience with gabapentin withdrawal and how supplementing with magnesium I was able to eliminate the withdrawal and at the same time eliminated my anxiety and depression. http://archive.aweber.com/drcarolyndean/7Wh6U/h/Magnesium_Anxiety_and_Gall.htm Its the first story oon the link.

Hope this helps.

adreno

PR activist
ReMag also contains thallium and other highly toxic heavy metals. Good luck taking that.

You should know the ReMag only containes trace amounts of thallium .... If you think about it nothing is absolutely pure. The trace minerals are what is in sea water. Every one has to do what is best for themselves.

Bottom line your missing out on a well absorbable magnesium supplement. It is your choice. An alternative to ReMag which is also well absorbed is Jigsaw magnesium w/srt. http://www.amazon.com/JigSaw-Magnes...d=1367192073&sr=8-1&keywords=magnesium+jigsaw

Chris

I don't know that taurine would help with a fast heart beat--there is some research showing that it can help with cardiac arrhythmias like Premature Ventricular Contractions (which I did have, and taurine did seem to help), and atrial fibrillation (have a friend who pretty much stopped hers with taurine). Taurine is probably safe to take long term in lowish doses, say 1-2g, but the situation is not so clear with larger doses. Chris

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks for your replies guys I appreciate it.
Chris
My new blood pressure monitor showed AF every couple of days - so maybe taurine is a good one for me to try given your friend's experience, thanks for that info - made me decide to take it definitely.
robertpcx
thanks for the info - I'll take a look at it - have a lot of cognitive issues which means I can't spend too much time reading a lot otherwise it wipes me out, but I'll definitely go there on a good day. For now will just stick to the mag citrate plus a small dose of taurine and see how that goes. I also have half a bottle of mag chloride which I use a few times a week so need to use that up - my supplement cupboard is overflowing.

Chris

Hi, Maryb--does your BP monitor actually indicate AF, or more simply some form of arrhythmia? Have you had an ECG that showed AF clearly? I think some taurine should help with either, but AF is the more serious, and if you definitely have it your doc might want you to take at least a baby aspirin, since it does raise the risk of strokes. You may well know you have it from having been tested, but your post does not indicate that, and it is something that should be checked out, I think. Chris

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Hi, Maryb--does your BP monitor actually indicate AF, or more simply some form of arrhythmia? Have you had an ECG that showed AF clearly? I think some taurine should help with either, but AF is the more serious, and if you definitely have it your doc might want you to take at least a baby aspirin, since it does raise the risk of strokes. You may well know you have it from having been tested, but your post does not indicate that, and it is something that should be checked out, I think. Chris

Hi Chris yes the monitor indicates AF and no I haven't had it checked yet. Just not up to tackling the doc again at present, but its on my list.

sianrecovery

Sorry to throw something else in the mix Mary. Just wanted to say that Burrascano and many of the lyme docs now say don't start with magnesium until long term bacterial infections under control. I took magnesium in heroic quantities for a long time, and it made no difference. I have no idea if stopping did either, but I'm not convinced of the apparent orthodoxy that magnesium is good for all PWME. Some maybe, not others.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks Sian - just to say I stopped the magnesium several months ago after reading a lot of stuff.
I didn't connect the knee and leg pain I've had since then, its been excruciating., I put it down to the cold weather. My heart rate had increased a lot as well as my BP/HR monitor showing AF.
I re-started magnesium 2 weeks ago, my knee and leg pain has decreased by about 85% and (touch wood) my heart rate has gone down by an average of 10bpm. haven't had the AF sign on the monitor for 1 week now. I will be over the moon if this continues.