• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A question for Dbkita

I was reading some posts of your a few days ago, and you had put your profile and explained about the supplements you were taking now, and why. In particular how you addressed the BHMT, and I think you mentioned Choline. I didn't have the time then to go into it fully.
Of course, now I have looked and looked and can't find it......... so could you tell me what you are taking now, and how you came to decide what to take?
Many thanks,
Anne

Lotus97

Branston
Do you know about the "start a conversation" feature? It's more or less sending a private message to someone. You just click on the person's name and then click on start a conversation. If you wanted to start a thread about BHMT it would have been better to have that in the title so this thread would be applicable for more people.

dbkita

I will restrict to more relevant ones:

==========================================

I currently take as follows:

800 mcg Folapro on empty stomach half hour before food
17.5 mg p5p sublingual (50 mg doubles my urine sulfates as per homozygous CBS mutation)
2500 mcg Enzymatic Therapy B12 in morning after food
2500 mcg adb12 Source Natural in morning after food
100 mg riboflavin (experimenting on and off with 2x 50 mg for better absorption)
500 mg B3 niacinamide in morning with food, 250 mg at bedtime to aid sleep
2500 IU vitamin D
800 IU vitamin E with mixed tocepherols
500 mg LCF in morning with food
240 mg R-ALA
200 mcg selenium
100 mg b1
3000 mcg biotin over two doses
100 mg b5
6 x 750 mg calcium pyruvate spread over day
450 mg molybdenum over three doses
15-17.5 grams of d-ribose
3 grams of creatine pyruvate
5 grams of glutamine
4 grams of Na ascorbate
1300-1500 mg sea salt
1200-1500 mg elemental potassium

===================================

Thing to explore in near future:

TMG & PS / PC (used to take but discontinued due to signs of hypermethylation in summer 2012, may re-introduce, waiting on test kit from HDRI Methylation Panel to get data)

Folinic acid (see above comments on TMG)

Manganese ... currently experimenting with 5 mg

Yucca -- currently experimenting with 490mg x 2 per day

DHA

Coq10 ubiquinol

Allithiamine in combination with benfotiamine

===================================================

Note however I take multiple medications as part of HRT so I am NOT a role model for supplements on these forums!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
dbkita

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your supplements.

Question: your 1200-1500 mg elemental potassium--have you noticed that this level of potassium supplementation slows your heart rate? I have been taking about 1000 mg of potassium spread out through the day for the past year and have noticed that my heart rate has gone down--resting low 50's. When I looked this up I saw that potassium could slow the heart.

Comments?
Sushi

Lotus97

dbkita
I bet you're thrilled to have an entire thread devoted to you...I joke of course
17.5 mg p5p sublingual (50 mg doubles my urine sulfates as per homozygous CBS mutation)
Rich said something about people with CBS upregulating need to limit B6 and P5P. It sounded like he was saying that it was just at the beginning of methylation, but you're saying it's an ongoing thing? Because you've been doing methylation for quite awhile.
6 x 750 mg calcium pyruvate spread over day
Do people normally need that high of a dose for it to be effective? I know you don't like giving out recommendations, but I'm only taking 2 X 750 mg which is why I ask. You're also taking creatine pyruvate in addition.
500 mg LCF in morning with food
I thought you're supposed to take amino acids on an empty stomach. Is this different?
Coq10 ubiquinol
Did you try ubiquinone prior to taking ubiquinol?

dbkita

dbkita
I bet you're thrilled to have an entire thread devoted to you...I joke of course

Rich said something about people with CBS upregulating need to limit B6 and P5P. It sounded like he was saying that it was just at the beginning of methylation, but you're saying it's an ongoing thing? Because you've been doing methylation for quite awhile.

Do people normally need that high of a dose for it to be effective? I know you don't like giving out recommendations, but I'm only taking 2 X 750 mg which is why I ask. You're also taking creatine pyruvate in addition.

I thought you're supposed to take amino acids on an empty stomach. Is this different?

Did you try ubiquinone prior to taking ubiquinol?

Yeah thrilled ...

Yes been on methylation for over 2 years. The p5p certainly drives methylation which amps my potassiun need. But with the homozygous cbs it swings the trans sulfuration gate more open.

6 grams pyruvate is the normal daily dose. I have built up to about 5 grans over a long time.

In theory yes but it makes me reflux on an empty stomach. And when I tested it I don't see much difference whether with or without food.

Yes. I used to take loads of it. Causes reflux. So I plan to take as little as possible.

dbkita

dbkita

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your supplements.

Question: your 1200-1500 mg elemental potassium--have you noticed that this level of potassium supplementation slows your heart rate? I have been taking about 1000 mg of potassium spread out through the day for the past year and have noticed that my heart rate has gone down--resting low 50's. When I looked this up I saw that potassium could slow the heart.

Comments?
Sushi
Not at those doses. But each person is different. Yes high serum potassium can lead to bradycardia.

xjhuez

Quite a list.

200 mcg selenium

3 grams of creatine pyruvate

Are you taking either Selenomethionine or Methylselenocysteine? Was wondering if either of those affect methylation at all.

Is the creatine to help build/retain muscle? Have you tried BCAAs?

dbkita

Quite a list.

Are you taking either Selenomethionine or Methylselenocysteine? Was wondering if either of those affect methylation at all.

Is the creatine to help build/retain muscle? Have you tried BCAAs?

Creatine I take for ATP support and to increase GABA in the spinal cord.

Selenomethionine. Such trace amounts at 200 mcg, I don't believe they have any impact. The amount of methionine in 200 mcg of selenium is like eating a tiny sliver of meat. Some alternative doctors get all wired up about supplements without doing sanity checks on the amounts involved.

xjhuez

800 mcg Folapro on empty stomach half hour before food
2500 mcg Enzymatic Therapy B12 in morning after food
2500 mcg adb12 Source Natural in morning after food
100 mg riboflavin (experimenting on and off with 2x 50 mg for better absorption)
500 mg B3 niacinamide in morning with food, 250 mg at bedtime to aid sleep
100 mg b1
3000 mcg biotin over two doses
100 mg b5

Lots of B vitamins! If you don't mind me asking, which do you take together and which do you take do you take separate from one another?

Thanks.

dbkita

Each b-vitamin is taken as a separate pill so I can carefully control the amount of folate, avoid folic acid, and especially control B6 / p5p.

I take my folapro 30 mintues before food and before my sublingual b12s.
I take most of my b-vitamins with food. I am experimenting with splitting my b2 into two doses a day.
I regularly split the biotin into two doses.

xjhuez

Ok thanks.

So the schedule is based on with/without food and spacing them out for two daily doses - there aren't any that you're purposefully taking separate from another because of possible absorption interference.

dbkita

Not really. Maybe that is not the wisest course of action. But the amounts I consume of each are not small and they all seem to have some impact. The one I might consider shifting is the biotin relative to the B5.

Lotus97

Somehow I assumed that b vitamins stay in your system for only a short amount of time and need to be taken multiple times a day, but after seeing that dbkita only takes them once or twice a day I questioned my assumption. Most of the sites I found seem to be saying that water soluble vitamins stay in your body at least a day (so I guess once or twice a day is enough), but fat soluble vitamins stay in your body much longer. Does that mean it's not good to take too much of fat soluble vitamins? Also, I thought methylcobalamin stays in your body a short time so wouldn't it be better to divide up your dose?