• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Allergy season hit you too?

Nielk

The pollen count here in NY is very high, even though it is still cold out. I have heard in the news that this allergy season will be the worst yet.

I have been hit really bad. I am so congested. I keep coughing, my sinuses and ears hurt. This has resulted in a decline in my ME/CFS status. I am basically bedbound again.

I know that we have discussed this topic many times but, does anyone know of something "new" out there to treat allergies?

I take a Zyrtec every day and use a steroid nasal spray every day. (I do this year round)

Thanks,
Nielk

Misfit Toy

Same here 2.5 hours south of you. I have no answer. I am struggling, too. Do you have an Austin air purifier in your house? They are my biggest help.

SOC

It's the darned maples blooming here. They seem to result in a very aggressive allergic response in many people around here. I love my sugar maple in the summer and fall, but could do without it right about now.

As Spitfire pointed out, an air cleaner helps. I also take Zyrtec twice a day (with doc approval) because once is just not enough.

Nielk

Same here 2.5 hours south of you. I have no answer. I am struggling, too. Do you have an Austin air purifier in your house? They are my biggest help.

Yes, I do have an air purifier. Thank you. I even run the air conditioner at night, eventhough it's cold out because I can breathe better with it.

Nielk

It's the darned maples blooming here. They seem to result in a very aggressive allergic response in many people around here. I love my sugar maple in the summer and fall, but could do without it right about now.

As Spitfire pointed out, an air cleaner helps. I also take Zyrtec twice a day (with doc approval) because once is just not enough.

I have been wondering about taking more of the Zyrtec when my allergies are so bad. I guess I'll check with my doctor. Thanks.

SOC

I have been wondering about taking more of the Zyrtec when my allergies are so bad. I guess I'll check with my doctor. Thanks.
Good luck! I found the 2nd dose of Zyrtec at bedtime hugely beneficial. With only a morning dose, it was wearing off in about 12 hr, so the sinus and ears congestion got really bad overnight which then led to sinus/ear infections.... yuck.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Hi, suffering here too. I've been taking Allegra. I just asked the pharmacist if it was safe to take twice a day and she said no. :( Other pharmacists have said that I could double up on antihistamines but I can't remember which ones I was taking when I asked. Anyone asked about doubling Allegra?

Or maybe I should just switch to Zyrtec and double up.

Sushi

SOC

I'm fairly certain one can safely double up Benadryl (twice a day, not twice as much at one time) as well, although I don't find it works well for me for tree pollen allergies.