• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

huge crash from no b-12

vortex

I am doing 800mcg methylfolate daily
and 5mg. methycobalamin injections every 3 days.

well I ran out of b-12 injections right when I moved, so
I had to quickly find a doctor and find a compounding
pharmacy to fill it, but I couldnt get all of this done
in time, so it had been 8 days without b-12 and I crashed
an unbelievable amount. I was taking 2 naps a day
and going to bed at 8 pm. every night and couldnt
stay awake, I have been fatigued but this was beyond
anything I have ever experienced, it was almost like
my body had to pay back all the extra energy I had
been getting since doing the methylation protocol.

I still havent gotten the b-12 injections script filled
but I happen to have a baggie with 3 grams of
pure methylcobalamin powder in it. I licked my
finger and stuck it in the powder and then stuck
my finger in my mouth and wow, I was back
and have plenty of energy today. I do wonder
if I am going to get the script filled or not now.
I might just put this powder into an oral spray
and squirt it into my mouth, I probably got 50mg
by licking it, but it was plenty and did the trick.

vortex

haha, yes, a baggie full of good stuff. I know a friend that owns a vitamin manufacturing plant, he sent me a little goodie bag full of methylcobalamin. I actually havent done anything with it before today as I have been convinced that it wouldnt do much good as it had to be injected. Based on my experience I think it was every bit as powerful.

Freddd

haha, yes, a baggie full of good stuff. I know a friend that owns a vitamin manufacturing plant, he sent me a little goodie bag full of methylcobalamin. I actually havent done anything with it before today as I have been convinced that it wouldnt do much good as it had to be injected. Based on my experience I think it was every bit as powerful.

Hi Vortex,

I've used direct b12 crystal like that and it works great if the crystal is great. Obviously you don't need the injections. I would advice having your stock bottle with a little in it and keep the rest sealed in moisture proof opaque container in the fridge.

vortex

It sure does scare me as i am now fully dependant on b-12, like a crack addict, you cant just stop otherwise you cant function any longer without going through huge withdrawals.

I guess since the methylation cycle is ramped up higher now if I stop feeding it fuel,it quickly depletes levels of nutrients and crashes.

Freddd

It sure does scare me as i am now fully dependant on b-12, like a crack addict, you cant just stop otherwise you cant function any longer without going through huge withdrawals.

I guess since the methylation cycle is ramped up higher now if I stop feeding it fuel,it quickly depletes levels of nutrients and crashes.

Hi Vortex,

That isn't really a fair description. I take morphine for pain as well as the nutrients. If I go off of MeCbl, deficiency symptoms start coming back in a few days. Even faster, the nerves that are damaged start malfunctioning worse within a day of the last dose. Return of deficiency damage symptoms and of deficiency function symptoms is not the same as withdrawing from a drug that causes accommodation. It's not withdrawal, it is a return to deficiency. Whereas morphine can be tapered at 10% of current dose per day without significant discomfort and benzos a lot slower, MeCbl can't be tapered and it isn't tolerance and accommodation. Many of the startup brightness and energy is a perception of how the nervous system is working. We are designed to notice differences, not steady-state. Whatever happens here does not return one to a pre-deficiency state. There is no evidence to support the idea that the body will ever be able to get along normally on 6 mcg of b12 in food again. People who have no symptoms have no noticeable response to MeCbl, AdoCbl or l-methylfolate from the results I got from my questionnaire development and testing for 2 hour noticeable responses. However, once a person develops symptoms past a certain severity, maybe until damage is done rather than purely "functional", the old "makes no difference" doesn't get restored. Now purely functional things can heal and stay healed. Once my tongue healed, my bladder healed, my muscles grew and all that, they are not going to go away again any faster than they got into that fix before. Mood and personality changes can happen rapidly in both directions, demyelinations heal imperfectly and are always merely in balance between filling in and breaking down some more so the details can be always changing over the months numb areas can oscillate position around the edges a bit. It isn't cranking the methylation cycle in that all you have done is make it what it was before the deficiency started. Before it started and 1000mcg dose of ENZY would do nothing at all. Presumably the dose you take each day has no noticeable effect. If it does, you have not reached equilibrium yet. According to the ONE doctor reporting neuropathic HEALING it takes 5 years of no setbacks or fallbacks to completely heal the nerves in question. At this point I have never managed to get more than 3 or 4 months in a row without some setback or another purely on 5 star MeCbl.

So approaching the 10th year of MeCbl I am cured/healed of CFS/FMS/ME. The symptoms I have to deal with are pain from car wreck damage and a damaged nervous system from decades of deficiency. I would have most of the CFS/FMS symptoms back in 1-12 months if I stopped because I would get them all over again. However the muscles would take years to deteriorate. These nervous system damages, sleep disorders, mood, feeling and control of feet and legs, things like that are all CNS function and damage. With damage the whole CNS appears more easily disrupted as much redundancy is already gone before we even notice the difference.

Crux

Sorry, I'll take the fall for starting the addiction metaphor. But there are some similarities. It's true though, the "return to deficiency" state is more apt.

Freddd

Sorry, I'll take the fall for starting the addiction metaphor. But there are some similarities. It's true though, the "return to deficiency" state is more apt.

Hi Crux,

Biological requirement is more accurate. It isn't like addiction which is a disease that includes lack of control over usage, destruction of family and business life etc. 100% of people are 100% dependent for survival on having enough of every vitamin, essential mineral, essential amino acid etc. Starvation of any one vitamin is ultimately fatal. Vit D is a hormone our own bodies can produce from sunlight and essential fatty acids. There it is again, "essential".

Also, morphine is not "addictive" either. It causes accommodation. Some people become addicted to various drugs, food, sex, gambling, risk taking, laxatives, you name it. Addiction is a disease. Accommodation happens with a good proportion of drugs we use medicinally. You can't quit lots of drugs safely or comfortably. They have to be tapered.

There are no similarities to addiction. People taking b12 don't rob stores or banks, beat their spouses or walk 5 miles in a blizzard to buy a pack of cigarettes. They are merely dependent upon vitamins as is everybody and because of damage or genetics or both their definition of sufficient is different. If 5 star MeCbl were as easy to get and pervasive as flavored carbonated caffeinated corn syrup nobody would think another thing of it.

I used to be on more than a dozen meds I could reasonably expect to be on for life. Those are down to a few, and nutrients, 4 in particular are also going to be needed for life.