• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Obama announced $100 million proposal for brain research

Kati

Patient in training
The Canadian government made that same announcement a few months ago. No sign of ME or FM.

waiting

The Canadian government made that same announcement a few months ago. No sign of ME or FM.

Thanks for the reminder, Kati.

Here's an interesting Toronto Star article today about the role of both Canada and the US in their respective brain initiatives. It specifically refers to an expected collaboration between the 2 countries.

Another interesting point ... Both have a $100 million price tag, but I would have thought that the US, being more populous than Canada by a factor of 10, would fund something like this also by a factor of 10 greater than Canada ... not that $100 million isn't already a relatively large amount (compared to the research dollars allocated to ME).

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...p_with_alzheimers_strokes_other_diseases.html

*GG*

Thanks for the reminder, Kati.

Here's an interesting Toronto Star article today about the role of both Canada and the US in their respective brain initiatives. It specifically refers to an expected collaboration between the 2 countries.

Another interesting point ... Both have a $100 million price tag, but I would have thought that the US, being more populous than Canada by a factor of 10, would fund something like this also by a factor of 10 greater than Canada ... not that $100 million isn't already a relatively large amount (compared to the research dollars allocated to ME).

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...p_with_alzheimers_strokes_other_diseases.html

Canada is doing much better than us financially, at least they do not have a massive debt like the US!

GG

Ember

This article strikes a more sombre note:

"Sequestration Stupidity is Genetic, Hitting Front-Line Medical Research"

Posted: 04/03/2013 1:34 pm EDT | Updated: 04/03/2013 5:03 pm EDT
ST. LOUIS -- Of all the blinkered buzz-saw cuts in this year’s $85 billion spending sequestration, perhaps none is as counterproductive -- or as flat-out boneheaded -- as the one now hitting medical research under way in a refurbished industrial expanse of central St. Louis.

Sequester cuts to the rapidly developing process of turning genetic research into a major 21st-century industry -- and saving lives and health care costs -- are the equivalent of trying to build the Interstate Highway System with no ramps or the transcontinental railroad without the final miles in the middle....

Simply put, St. Louis can’t afford the setback.

Other key academic centers that receive significant NIH funding in genomics and now stand to lose a big chunk of it include Harvard, Johns Hopkins and the University of Pennsylvania. While the institutions are elite, the potential benefits of their work could not be more Main Street.

The cuts are especially ironic because it was the federal government that made this new industry possible. And it is not yet commercially viable enough for the private sector to fully take it over. Nor should the private sector ever have all of the power and knowledge in an industry fraught with regulatory concerns.

Begun under the first Bush administration and amplified by President Bill Clinton, the Human Genome Project was a model of economic development and federal foresight that even Jeffersonian founders would admire. Clinton routinely mentions the project as he argues for new pro-business roles for government. President Barack Obama is following suit, proposing a new $100 million mapping effort, this one of the human brain....
More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/sequestration-medical-research_n_3007448.html

waiting

Dr. Francis Collins was the guest on The Colbert Report tonight, discussing the BRAIN project. He referred to Alzheimer's, autism, epilepsy...