• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium threonate helping with mood, pain, and sleep!

perchance dreamer

I have been taking magnesium threonate (I'll shorten it to MGT in this message) for almost 3 weeks. Although I take only 2/3 of the recommended dosage, I've had some real improvements.

If you Google MGT, there's a ton of info. In short, it was developed over 10 years at MIT and is the only MG that readily crosses the blood brain barrier.

I've been taking the Life Extensions brand, Neuro-Mag, which I got from Amazon. From what I've read, LE and Swanson's get the MGT from the same source.

I think there are 5 or 6 brands of MGT now. They all seem to be the same dosage with the exception of Sabre Science. Theirs is a powdered MGT that is combined with inositol. I was able to sample this product, but I felt really dragged out from it and had unrefreshing sleep. I think it's the inositol that doesn't agree with me.

However, at the wholistic pharmacy where I got the Sabre Science sample, they are getting really good customer reports of kids with ADD and ADHD being able to focus better with that product.

For about the 1st week I took MGT, I experienced a wonderful euphoria and powerful mood boost. I no longer experience it to that degree (rats! I like euphoria), but have retained a subtle, even mood boost that lasts all day.

After 2 or 3 days, I started getting a little relief from my fibromyalgia pain. I already take lots of magnesium glycinate/malate plus some other forms, so I don't think the pain relief is from just increasing magnesium. I think the pain relief is from this specific form.

However, I've read only one other report of someone experiencing pain relief from this supplement. So this effect might be uncommon.

I really didn't expect this, but my sleep has really improved although I'm taking it in the morning and the early afternoon. My sleep quality is better, and I seem to be dreaming more and having better recall.

At first my dreams were fantastical and extremely vivid and detailed, but that effect diminished. I'm still dreaming a lot, though.

I have not noticed any improvements in concentration or memory. For me, it's more like increased mental alertness. I feel like my brain is more awake.

I have not been successful in taking the full dose although I'll experiment again later. When I've tried it, I've felt even better during the day, but it's had a negative effect on my sleep.

I've read every user review I could. From what I can gather, how people react to MG3 is highly variable. I'm sure it has to do with individual neurochemistry. Some people have not noticed any effects from taking MG3.

There's a lot of excitement and buzz about this supplement, but some people are choosing to wait. No human trials have been released yet, and the long-term safety is unknown because it's so new. A study is supposed to come out sometime this year.

I've read the most customer reviews on Amazon, Iherb, and Swanson Vitamins. Other reviews come up if you Google magnesium threonate reviews.

Gavman

Good to know as i cant handle alot due to the corn syrup, and then i dont feel like ive absorbed the magnesium.

hixxy

What I'm wondering, if magnesium threonate is the only magnesium that crosses the blood brain barrier, how does our dietary magnesium cross the blood brain barrier in absence of supplementation of magnesium threonate?

Is there some process in our body that bind magnesium to threonic acid so that magnesium can cross the BBB?

Much like the trace minerals that are bound to picolinic acid for intestinal absorption...

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
What I'm wondering, if magnesium threonate is the only magnesium that crosses the blood brain barrier, how does our dietary magnesium cross the blood brain barrier in absence of supplementation of magnesium threonate?

Is there some process in our body that bind magnesium to threonic acid so that magnesium can cross the BBB?

Much like the trace minerals that are bound to picolinic acid for intestinal absorption...

Here is a pretty good article about it. http://lymediseasecureplease.com/?p=1361

TheMoonIsBlue

Great news. I have been thinking about trying this. I just posted about this product a short while back because I had never heard about it before. I'll see If I can dig up that post........

Anyone else thinking of giving this product a try?

natasa778

Thanks for that report PD!

I am wondering how much, if any, of the good (and bad?) effects of this supplement is due to threonate itself, and not magnesiu?

Not much is known about threonic acid, apart from it being a metabolite or something of vitamin C ... Also not many studies on it, but on interesting one where they administered both calcium threonate and then threonate on its own, and in both cases there was an effect on bone resorption...

natasa778

More on threonate

http://examine.com/supplements/L-Threonate/

L-Threonate is a metabolite of Vitamin C that is currently being investigated for some vitamin C-like properties as well as its ability to greatly enhance mineral uptake.
Not enough information is known at this time to suggest an optimal dose of L-Threonate in isolation.
Mineral chelations of L-Threonate should be dosed according to the active mineral content of the chelation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15807273

Magnesium glycinate is the best type of magnesium to supplement with because it is the only magnesium to cross the blood brain barrier,

https://www.google.com/search?q=mag...73,d.cGE&fp=f390761bf81efa0e&biw=1680&bih=935

I have been taking magnesium threonate (I'll shorten it to MGT in this message) for almost 3 weeks. Although I take only 2/3 of the recommended dosage, I've had some real improvements.

If you Google MGT, there's a ton of info. In short, it was developed over 10 years at MIT and is the only MG that readily crosses the blood brain barrier.

I've been taking the Life Extensions brand, Neuro-Mag, which I got from Amazon. From what I've read, LE and Swanson's get the MGT from the same source.

I think there are 5 or 6 brands of MGT now. They all seem to be the same dosage with the exception of Sabre Science. Theirs is a powdered MGT that is combined with inositol. I was able to sample this product, but I felt really dragged out from it and had unrefreshing sleep. I think it's the inositol that doesn't agree with me.

However, at the wholistic pharmacy where I got the Sabre Science sample, they are getting really good customer reports of kids with ADD and ADHD being able to focus better with that product.

For about the 1st week I took MGT, I experienced a wonderful euphoria and powerful mood boost. I no longer experience it to that degree (rats! I like euphoria), but have retained a subtle, even mood boost that lasts all day.

After 2 or 3 days, I started getting a little relief from my fibromyalgia pain. I already take lots of magnesium glycinate/malate plus some other forms, so I don't think the pain relief is from just increasing magnesium. I think the pain relief is from this specific form.

However, I've read only one other report of someone experiencing pain relief from this supplement. So this effect might be uncommon.

I really didn't expect this, but my sleep has really improved although I'm taking it in the morning and the early afternoon. My sleep quality is better, and I seem to be dreaming more and having better recall.

At first my dreams were fantastical and extremely vivid and detailed, but that effect diminished. I'm still dreaming a lot, though.

I have not noticed any improvements in concentration or memory. For me, it's more like increased mental alertness. I feel like my brain is more awake.

I have not been successful in taking the full dose although I'll experiment again later. When I've tried it, I've felt even better during the day, but it's had a negative effect on my sleep.

I've read every user review I could. From what I can gather, how people react to MG3 is highly variable. I'm sure it has to do with individual neurochemistry. Some people have not noticed any effects from taking MG3.

There's a lot of excitement and buzz about this supplement, but some people are choosing to wait. No human trials have been released yet, and the long-term safety is unknown because it's so new. A study is supposed to come out sometime this year.

I've read the most customer reviews on Amazon, Iherb, and Swanson Vitamins. Other reviews come up if you Google magnesium threonate reviews.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Per usual, I have not noticed any difference after taking it. I continue to take it in the hope it will prevent/forestall dementia, which both of my parents have.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Just bumping this thread - I want to try this form of magnesium - I don't think the transdermal I'm using is doing anything - I have magnesium citrate but never noticed any difference when I take it - more the habit...

anyone recommend a brand?