• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 high serum level

Hi I,m doing Fred's protocol with 2500mcg metylb12 (new sublingual from Klaire lab), 1000mcg methyl folate and roughly 2,000mcg adenosyl. m y last b12 serum was high and I can't find much on the site about high serum b12. Rich talked once about a holocobalamin test, but don't know if that is necessary. My doctor is no help and telling all of his patients to go off b12. I posteda few days ago about very acidic urine that smells lime vinegar. I have been trying for several weeks a 5htp and tyrosine protocol, which is helping with my sleep/depression, but makinh the acidity worse.

Any more ideas.

Thanks, Dfox

adreno

PR activist
AFAIK, there is no harm in high serum B12 levels. It is normal to be above range when you're supplementing.

Agree with what Adreno said. My doc told me the same thing as yours. Also said there was no way I could be deficient with a high b12 level, even though my labs indicated macrocyctic anemia. Blatant incompetence, so, I kicked him to the curb. :)

cph13

Dfox....I am very interested in this new Klaire b12 ...as I am sure many will be here. How long have U been on it? How does it compare to enzymatic if U have tried that one? Love the 5,000mcg.
BTW I also take 5htp and have noticed weird smelling urine. I couldn't describe the smell...U put it v. well. It does help with my sleep. I take 100mg Dr'.s Best at bedtime only, NOT, on a regular basis. I've been taking it since around Dec. What R U taking on the 5htp and for how long? Thanking you in advance for sharing.
adreno and bead dog...2,000 is OK on b12. My dr. is flipping but she works with me.

Dfox....I am very interested in this new Klaire b12 ...as I am sure many will be here. How long have U been on it? How does it compare to enzymatic if U have tried that one? Love the 5,000mcg.
BTW I also take 5htp and have noticed weird smelling urine. I couldn't describe the smell...U put it v. well. It does help with my sleep. I take 100mg Dr'.s Best at bedtime only, NOT, on a regular basis. I've been taking it since around Dec. What R U taking on the 5htp and for how long? Thanking you in advance for sharing.
adreno and bead dog...2,000 is OK on b12. My dr. is flipping but she works with me.

Hi thanks for the responses all. I have been on it about a week and a half. I really like it so far. It does have other junk in it, (xylitol, natural cherry flavor, but I am somewhat familiar with this lab, so I trust their ingredients. I get it from Emerson Ecologics, but I'm not sure if this particular product is "for the public". They are also not the least expensive people in the world, but have most everything I want. I wonder what Freddd would think of this b12?

bead dog how do you know if you have macrocytic anemia? I know my spectracell test shows ok now on B12, but used to be low, even though I was high on serum.

cph13, I am taking a combination 5htp/tyrosine product. I take about 35mg 5htp and about 300mg tyrosine with breakfast and then lunch. At first the tyrosine was a little too stimulating, but now I am used to it. As it sounds like you know, 5htp will quite working bc it depletes the tyrosine/dopamine, and vise versa. On this protocol, you eventually take macuna puriens which converts to dopamine.

Dfox

cph13

Hi thanks for the responses all. I have been on it about a week and a half. I really like it so far. It does have other junk in it, (xylitol, natural cherry flavor, but I am somewhat familiar with this lab, so I trust their ingredients. I get it from Emerson Ecologics, but I'm not sure if this particular product is "for the public". They are also not the least expensive people in the world, but have most everything I want. I wonder what Freddd would think of this b12?

bead dog how do you know if you have macrocytic anemia? I know my spectracell test shows ok now on B12, but used to be low, even though I was high on serum.

cph13, I am taking a combination 5htp/tyrosine product. I take about 35mg 5htp and about 300mg tyrosine with breakfast and then lunch. At first the tyrosine was a little too stimulating, but now I am used to it. As it sounds like you know, 5htp will quite working bc it depletes the tyrosine/dopamine, and vise versa. On this protocol, you eventually take macuna puriens which converts to dopamine.

Dfox
https://www.google.com/search?q=kla...42,d.dmQ&fp=361f1d8e7791e1d6&biw=1071&bih=521
the product is around. We can get it on amazon it seems. Yes, I would like to see if FREDDD know about this and has tried it he is looking for 5mg. I will update him with your findings, JIC he doesn't see this.

I don't KNOW much about 5htp except that it helps with sleep for me but I do mix it up with bendryl, trazdone and even remeron....few nites of this than that. It quits working if you take it daily I guess???? How do I know if I need macuna puriens I don't know about this, AT ALL. Thanks for your help here. I unfortunately got caught in the Klonazepam trap of reaching resistance due to a pharma. error. I now only take 3/4mg of K. I am ready to blow that out the door as soon as I have both my GUNS loaded. Slowly, every so slowly we step and through the woods and if a tree falls....WHO KNOWS, LOL.

I will interject if I may, MCV/MCH are high with macrocytic anemia which is on your regular bloodwork. Even borderline high. They keep raising the bar on that so we could all be walking around with it and not know. AGAIN FREDDD knows more than I have ever known and probably will ever know. Let's hope we can get his attention
@beaddog what's your take on macryocytic anemia?????
Thanks for all your help, EVERYONE
Happy Healing
Hugs

My MCV is high ( Macrocytosis ) and I have low rbc, platelets and IgM. All of this is consistent with B12 deficiency, even though my serum B12 level is around 1200. That is only in the serum and does not show what actually gets into the cells.
I have chronic Chlamydia Pneumonia infection ( CPn )..... this bacteria produces antibodies to B12.... so whatever is in the cells gets rendered useless, producing a functional deficiency.
I have taken 20-30mg mB12 daily, but it hasn't made much of an impact on the MCV.
I am on day4 of mB12 IM injections, 1mg, and the half moons are starting to come back on my nails.!!

Red04

Hi I,m doing Fred's protocol with 2500mcg metylb12 (new sublingual from Klaire lab), 1000mcg methyl folate and roughly 2,000mcg adenosyl. m y last b12 serum was high and I can't find much on the site about high serum b12. Rich talked once about a holocobalamin test, but don't know if that is necessary. My doctor is no help and telling all of his patients to go off b12. I posteda few days ago about very acidic urine that smells lime vinegar. I have been trying for several weeks a 5htp and tyrosine protocol, which is helping with my sleep/depression, but makinh the acidity worse.

Any more ideas.

Thanks, Dfox

My wife's depression/anxiety and several sleep problems were all alleviated with only Freddd's protocol. I don't know what the other protocol you are doing is and I don't know anything about your symptoms, but you may consider just sticking to the methylation stuff for a few months and see where that gets you. It can be hard enough to follow the methylation signals without trying 2 protocols at once.

My MCV is high ( Macrocytosis ) and I have low rbc, platelets and IgM. All of this is consistent with B12 deficiency, even though my serum B12 level is around 1200. That is only in the serum and does not show what actually gets into the cells.
I have chronic Chlamydia Pneumonia infection ( CPn )..... this bacteria produces antibodies to B12.... so whatever is in the cells gets rendered useless, producing a functional deficiency.
I have taken 20-30mg mB12 daily, but it hasn't made much of an impact on the MCV.
I am on day4 of mB12 IM injections, 1mg, and the half moons are starting to come back on my nails.!!

Thanks Branston: Finally something I can understand:) I have chronic mycolplasma, and have not even had the cpn checked yet? Do you have a dr you work with? I can't seem to find anyone who knows much about some of all of this. Our one CFIDS doctor in town only wants to do abx, and only looks at igg/igm titers, and has NEVER tested me cpn (which is what my dad died from)!

So do you mind my asking what the MCV should be. Is there any published material on cooties suppressing the B12 I could send to my LLMD.

Thanks a ton,
Dfox

My wife's depression/anxiety and several sleep problems were all alleviated with only Freddd's protocol. I don't know what the other protocol you are doing is and I don't know anything about your symptoms, but you may consider just sticking to the methylation stuff for a few months and see where that gets you. It can be hard enough to follow the methylation signals without trying 2 protocols at once.

Thanks Red04, I have been doing Freddd's protocol for awhile, but was still REALLY depressed, and trying to reduce the sleep meds I'm on bc of strange neurological problems I'm having . I'm not doing any B12 injections, mb I need to. I'm seeing a LLMD (who is not very good), but pickens are slim here. I am doing hormonal therapy as I am post menopause, and can't keep weight on, bc of borderline diabetes. I'm trying to not to do much carbs bc of the blood sugar spike!
I'm currently taking 2500mcg metylb12 (new sublingual from Klaire lab), 1000mcg methyl folate and roughly 2,000mcg adenosyl. Mb I should take more.

Thanks, Dfox

Freddd

Thanks Red04, I have been doing Freddd's protocol for awhile, but was still REALLY depressed, and trying to reduce the sleep meds I'm on bc of strange neurological problems I'm having . I'm not doing any B12 injections, mb I need to. I'm seeing a LLMD (who is not very good), but pickens are slim here. I am doing hormonal therapy as I am post menopause, and can't keep weight on, bc of borderline diabetes. I'm trying to not to do much carbs bc of the blood sugar spike!
I'm currently taking 2500mcg metylb12 (new sublingual from Klaire lab), 1000mcg methyl folate and roughly 2,000mcg adenosyl. Mb I should take more.

Thanks, Dfox

Hi Dfox,

If you haven't tried the ENZY MeCbl it is worth a try as an A-B comparison. Also LCF can make a huge difference. Can you describe the strange neurological problems? Sometimes brand makes all the difference.

Red04

If you are tolerating 1000mcg of methylfolate well may consider bumping that up after you try the enzyb12. 2400mcgs seems to be a sweet spot for my wife to maintain. But she has taken 8000mcgs in 24 hours before during the initial recovery and to recover from crashes. Just make sure you add a little at a time.

cph13

Hello everyone!
I've been on S. naturals Dibencozide 1 pill a day (divided into 2 doses). I am about to order the anabol naturals dibenzicode. How is everyone taking that? Can I just switch from S. Naturals to Anabol even though one is subligual? Or R U taking the Anabol naturals sublingually? Thanks in advance for all your help guys.

Xara

Hi cph!
I have no experience with S. naturals, so I can't say anything about switching.
I take the Anabol Naturals as a sublingual: I spread the contents between my cheeck and gum. I think most use it that way. I started with a quarter every other day, I had trouble taking it every day at first. You have to see for yourself of course, but I advise to start at a low dose. Splitting the dose is a bit of a hassle. I poured the contents of the AN capsule in two empty capsules (size 00) and then looked if they had more or less the same amount. Splitting it again will give you a quarter. Some use a spoon to get the contents on the gum, I just empty the capsule.
HTH