• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Quick help for viral symptoms?

Ocean

I just got into a crash recently with viral symptoms like fever, headache, sore throat and fatigue. They were off and on for about a week or more and now seem to be more constant. These were symptoms I got when I first got sick. I have been stable and doing well for quite some time and not had these symptoms in a long time till this crash. I may try antivirals at some point but not right this minute.

Any tips for things I can do at home, or supplements, over the counter meds that might help for the time being? I am resting but aside from that, any other ideas? I tried vitamin c but it caused insomnia and I need the rest so I stopped that. Thank you!

Ocean

Also, do antivirals act quickly? Like would they help these symptoms if I took them soon or do they only help gradually over the longterm? Thanks.

Ema

Also, do antivirals act quickly? Like would they help these symptoms if I took them soon or do they only help gradually over the longterm? Thanks.
Antivirals generally work by inhibiting replication. So they are usually a long term proposition. Most people with high viral titers take AVs for a year or more to see results.

Ema

adreno

PR activist
For quick relief try something anti-inflammatory. Curcumin is potent, and also has anti-viral properties.

Plum

My comments aren't going to be much help. Apologies.

When I crash I get a virus which lasts about 6 weeks. Nothing I do seems to help except scaling everything I'm already doing back down - clean up my diet (remove sugar, already am gluten free, go dairy free, increase veges), rest lots more, don't push myself, do only what is absolutely necessary. Supplements which should help - vit C and zinc. I swear by liver detox herbs like milk thistle and dandelion as I take them all the time.

I also find vegetable juicing helps. Oregano P73 is reported to help although I didn't find much benefit. Sleep as much as possible. Rest as much as you can - horizontally is best.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I just got into a crash recently with viral symptoms like fever, headache, sore throat and fatigue. They were off and on for about a week or more and now seem to be more constant. These were symptoms I got when I first got sick. I have been stable and doing well for quite some time and not had these symptoms in a long time till this crash. I may try antivirals at some point but not right this minute.

Any tips for things I can do at home, or supplements, over the counter meds that might help for the time being? I am resting but aside from that, any other ideas? I tried vitamin c but it caused insomnia and I need the rest so I stopped that. Thank you!

Those are typical PEM symptoms in my experience. They are like the symptoms of infection because the symptoms of infection are largely due to our immune reactions to the infectious organisms, and in ME aspects of the immune system are over-active, becoming even more so after over-exertion.

I agree with Plum on adopting the kind of diet suggested, which most people with ME should perhaps be on anyway, at least with regard to reducing carbs and maybe cutting out dairy. Gluten is also a problem for a lot of us.

Otherwise pace, rest and generally be nice to yourself.

Ocean

Thanks a lot everyone. Seems like no quick fix. It's been so long since I felt this way, it worries me how long it might last. Last time I had a crash it was much milder and fatigue only, no viral type symptoms like this and a week of rest took care of it. This time is different. I will try your tips, thank you so much.

Ocean

Those are typical PEM symptoms in my experience. They are like the symptoms of infection because the symptoms of infection are largely due to our immune reactions to the infectious organisms, and in ME aspects of the immune system are over-active, becoming even more so after over-exertion.
So, will it help to take things that strengthen the immune system like zinc? If the problem is my immune system is too active, do I want to strengthen it?

Ocean

I swear by liver detox herbs like milk thistle and dandelion as I take them all the time.
I have been taking tylenol for fever and headaches, does that affect liver? Might it have any adverse effect with liver detox herbs? I also unfortunately have to take zantac twice a day because of what I think is mast cell issue, I wonder if that could be causing a problem with liver and affecting things?

Ocean

For quick relief try something anti-inflammatory. Curcumin is potent, and also has anti-viral properties.
Is quercitin a good option? I ordered some and was wondering if I should try it or return it.

Plum

I have been taking tylenol for fever and headaches, does that affect liver? Might it have any adverse effect with liver detox herbs? I also unfortunately have to take zantac twice a day because of what I think is mast cell issue, I wonder if that could be causing a problem with liver and affecting things?
I don't know about interactions with liver herbs. It's best to google it and check for yourself. But any meds will put an added strain on your liver making liver detox important. If yr worried about interactions you can look into juicing things like beetroot and carrots instead of taking a supplement. There are many liver detox supplements out there and I'm sure if you emailed specific companies about their's that they'd be able to tell you more.
You do know that Zantac acts by reducing stomach acid? That would be making your food harder to digest and decreasing the nutrients you're able to get from food. There are natural ways of healing your gut. If yr taking it for something else you still need to be aware that it's reducing your stomach acid which is something very few people want to do.

ukxmrv

Ocean, not sure if it will be any help to you but when the viral symptoms set in I take Elderberry extract (have only tried Sambucol).

baccarat

I just got into a crash recently with viral symptoms like fever, headache, sore throat and fatigue.
Different causes can produce those symptoms bacterial and parasitical infections not only viral, heavy metal, biotoxin poisoning, or anything that can cause an ME-like break down in immune response.
I don't have specific tips other than I wouldn't take tylenol as it will deplete your glutathione stores further which are already low in cfs.
There many herbals that have antiviral properties, as long as one takes the correct dosage which is usually higher than normally advertised, some herbals are also active against multiple organisms, some have also healthier antipyretic and analgesic properties than tylenol. There are also good natural alternatives to zantac.

The only suggestion I feel I ought to make is that it's always a bit tricky mixing drugs and natural remedies, you need to thoroughly check for interactions as some herbals may speed up or slow down the metabolism rate of drugs which can lead to toxic levels.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
So, will it help to take things that strengthen the immune system like zinc? If the problem is my immune system is too active, do I want to strengthen it?

Good question, to which I don't know the answer, but zinc is included in the leaky gut regime that Maes and Leunis said helped people with ME/CFS. I think the immune problems in ME need long-term solutions - some aspects are overactive and some underactive. The gut is a good place to start.

Ocean

Different causes can produce those symptoms bacterial and parasitical infections not only viral, heavy metal, biotoxin poisoning, or anything that can cause an ME-like break down in immune response.
I don't have specific tips other than I wouldn't take tylenol as it will deplete your glutathione stores further which are already low in cfs.
There many herbals that have antiviral properties, as long as one takes the correct dosage which is usually higher than normally advertised, some herbals are also active against multiple organisms, some have also healthier antipyretic and analgesic properties than tylenol. There are also good natural alternatives to zantac.

The only suggestion I feel I ought to make is that it's always a bit tricky mixing drugs and natural remedies, you need to thoroughly check for interactions as some herbals may speed up or slow down the metabolism rate of drugs which can lead to toxic levels.
Thanks. I've heard of holy basil as an alternative to zantac for mast cell issues. Any others? I will go easy on the tylenol, thank you!

Ocean

I'm curious if my viral symptoms are actually from a virus then or just an immune reaction which has the same symptoms as the body reacting to a virus. I had considered antivirals but is my body having issues with a virus or is the immune system just overreacting and making it appear as if there are viral symptoms. Does that make sense?

Ema

Thanks. I've heard of holy basil as an alternative to zantac for mast cell issues. Any others? I will go easy on the tylenol, thank you!
Holy Basil can have powerful cortisol lowering effects so you may want to be careful with this one.

Ema

Ocean

I don't know about interactions with liver herbs. It's best to google it and check for yourself. But any meds will put an added strain on your liver making liver detox important. If yr worried about interactions you can look into juicing things like beetroot and carrots instead of taking a supplement. There are many liver detox supplements out there and I'm sure if you emailed specific companies about their's that they'd be able to tell you more.
You do know that Zantac acts by reducing stomach acid? That would be making your food harder to digest and decreasing the nutrients you're able to get from food. There are natural ways of healing your gut. If yr taking it for something else you still need to be aware that it's reducing your stomach acid which is something very few people want to do.
I don't take zantac for gut though I take it for what I think are mast cell issues, namely severe flushing episodes. I do know that about zantac and stomach acid, I think I even started a thread about it, but not sure what I can do about it, it's the only thing that has helped the daily flushing problem, which was really making me feel quite sick each day after eating. I know there are supplements that increase stomach acid but I don't want to take those unless I know for certain I need it and have low acid. Since I previously had an ulcer I think it's advised not to take those stomach acid supplements.