• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What binders does everyone use while treating BIOFILMS

Misfit Toy

What is biofilms? A binder I use for toxins is bentonite clay mixed with charcoal and flax seeds.

sianrecovery

on the what are biofilms question, try typing Eve Sapi's name into google, and watch some of her stuff. Especially the film - blew me away.
I think biofilm are the answer to much long term infection and inflamation, and are desperately understudied. They are everywhere in nature, and our classical picture of bacteria as solitary species or types does not seem true to the reality of the complex, multi-species aggregates they can form. Many dental infections or infections around implants etc have a biofilm component, making them very hard to eradicate, and setting the host up for long term infection and immune dysregulation.
As for how best to deal with them, that is a BIG question. When you say binders, do you mean stuff to soak up toxins etc or do you mean specific substances to bind with specific substances? I often use fibre and charcoal tablets, and have used various fats, but I guess the real thing is not to do too much too fast and overload your detoxification systems.

Lotus97

on the what are biofilms question, try typing Eve Sapi's name into google, and watch some of her stuff. Especially the film - blew me away.
I think biofilm are the answer to much long term infection and inflamation, and are desperately understudied. They are everywhere in nature, and our classical picture of bacteria as solitary species or types does not seem true to the reality of the complex, multi-species aggregates they can form. Many dental infections or infections around implants etc have a biofilm component, making them very hard to eradicate, and setting the host up for long term infection and immune dysregulation.
As for how best to deal with them, that is a BIG question. When you say binders, do you mean stuff to soak up toxins etc or do you mean specific substances to bind with specific substances? I often use fibre and charcoal tablets, and have used various fats, but I guess the real thing is not to do too much too fast and overload your detoxification systems.
What do you mean specifically by using fats for binders? Now that I recall, Ayurveda has used oil for detoxification.

sianrecovery

I am probably using language quite imprecisely here - I was thinking about doing liver/gall bladder flushes to try and get rid of fat soluble neurotoxins, via phosholipid exchange using fats like phosphatidyl choline. Not exactly the same kind of process as biofilm.