• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll for most effective, safe, results acheived with binders and chelators

What are the best binder and chelators - probable weighted for effective outcome?

• Cilantro (Micronized, tincture, whole food, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DMSA

• Sodium Alginate

• Trace Minerals

• Vitamin C

• Dosage of deficient macrominerals such as Zinc

• Other (post what please)

• Total voters

Sam7777

You can choose multiple responses. If you feel the need to describe whether injections or oral rounds were preferred that is also helpful. Regime and dosing schedule discussion is helpful also.

Lotus97

It seems that several people voted in this poll, but no one explained why. I hope more people see this thread and post more detailed explanations of why one is better (if they know) and also some of drawbacks of certain methods. Also, I think we need to make a distinction between binders and chelators. I'm not sure everything is either one or the other, but I'd like to get into more detail with this.

With charcoal it's important to take it away from any other supplements or prescription medications because it could bind to those also which would then prevent you from absorbing them. I have a nearly full bottle of charcoal because I'm afraid to use it due to the fact that I'm taking supplements all day.

What are people's thoughts on clay (zeolite or calcium bentonite)? I've heard from several people here who've had good results with calcium bentonite specifically, but I've also heard reports of contamination with both zeolite and bentonite clay.

One thing I should say about chlorella is that it's estimated that about 30% of the population has a severe intolerance to chlorella so I'd recommend starting with 1/2 a capsule or one 200 mg tablet and very slowly increasing your dose until you know you can tolerate. Although I've heard people talk of "horror stories" from mercury toxic people having bad experiences with chlorella, I suspect many of those were having a reaction due to an intolerance rather than mobilizing mercury. Also, sometimes cilantro is recommended with chlorella. Cilantro is a bad idea from what I've heard unless you've been doing chelation a long time and start with a very small dose. And by low dose I mean 1 drop (not dropperful) of cilantro extract if it's a potent one like Herb Pharm's. My guess is that some of those "horror stories" are from some other chelators such as cilantro. Buhner actually recommends chlorella as his favorite toxin binder for toxins related to Lyme treatment (although I'm disappointed he doesn't caution about the chlorella intolerance or possible mercury issues associated with chlorella).

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm usually sleeping in the middle of the night:sleep:

True, but I actually sometimes set an alarm if I really need to take charcoal--or drink a lot before bedtime to make sure that the bladder works as an alarm.

Sushi

Lotus97

True, but I actually sometimes set an alarm if I really need to take charcoal--or drink a lot before bedtime to make sure that the bladder works as an alarm.

Sushi
I know Cutler also has something sort of similar with dosing alpha lipoic acid in the middle of the night, but I've found that getting enough sleep has a major impact on my health. I will keep your suggestion (and Cutler's) in mind though.

Sushi

I know Cutler also has something sort of similar with dosing alpha lipoic acid in the middle of the night, but I've found that getting enough sleep has a major impact on my health. I will keep your suggestion (and Cutler's) in mind though.

I think it also depends on how easily you can go back to sleep after waking in the night. If it is difficult, agreed, sleep is more important.

Sushi

*GG*

My Dr has me take Chlorella and Cholestryamine (CSM), been on and off for a little bit over the last 3 to 4 years.

GG

Lotus97

I was thinking about what I said earlier about binders binding to my supplements, meds, etc. One person talking about Ayurveda said that for detoxification and supplementation sometimes it's better to get the bad stuff out (detox) before putting the good stuff in (supplements) or they won't have as much of a positive effect if you don't detox first. I don't necessarily consult a 5000 year old healing system for all my health matters, but it is something to consider. I'm taking way too many supplements now so maybe I should give this a shot.

Lotus97

Are garlic and cruciferous vegetables listed because of their sulphur content? I think I recall taurine, MSM, NAC, and alpha lipoic acid mentioned because of their sulphur content (although I'm not sure how that helps). Rich cautioned about use of alpha lipoic acid and NAC for those who are mercury toxic and Andy Cutler also talks about how to use ALA safely (in low doses).

golden

I was thinking about what I said earlier about binders binding to my supplements, meds, etc. One person talking about Ayurveda said that for detoxification and supplementation sometimes it's better to get the bad stuff out (detox) before putting the good stuff in (supplements) or they won't have as much of a positive effect if you don't detox first. I don't necessarily consult a 5000 year old healing system for all my health matters, but it is something to consider. I'm taking way too many supplements now so maybe I should give this a shot.

I think Ayruveda has loads of good things to offer! :) I was going to start a thread - M.E. is a Vata Pittance disturbance.

Back to this topic though, I would love to hear peoples experiences as this is on my list of things to do.

I have heard people say taking one dose of Chlorella is wrong because it will mobilize the mercury and start transporting it but then just stop and dump the mercury wherever... the brain etc :-/

So it was advised to take several regular smaller doses - I have no idea it sound quite scary , the horror stories.

I am doing Ok on Doctors choice anti oxidant. It has blue green algae, garlic, ginger, green tea, n-acetylcysteine, sweet cherry, numeric, grape seed extract in plus vitamins and minerals.

My initial mistake with it was taking it before bed. I woke up with laboured breathing and a few nasty symptoms. Since then, taking them during the day when I can keep my circulation moving , its been fine.

Lotus97

I have heard people say taking one dose of Chlorella is wrong because it will mobilize the mercury and start transporting it but then just stop and dump the mercury wherever... the brain etc :-/ So it was advised to take several regular smaller doses - I have no idea it sound quite scary , the horror stories.
I'm not sure what to think. Like I said, many of those could be from an intolerance that doesn't have anything to do with mercury. At the same time, I'd be hesitant to recommend chlorella to anyone until I know more information. The information about chlorella and frequent dosing comes from Andy Cutler. They usually talk about the small, frequent doses in regards to alpha lipoic acid, but it could apply to any chelator I guess.

I'm hesitant to say this because it will probably offend some people (including someone I've been chatting with a lot recently). Cutler and his followers tend to be quite dogmatic and think their method is not only best, but also the only safe way to deal with mercury. And yet it seems there are plenty of people who have used chlorella safely for example and everyone's different. Another example about how everyone is different is that I've heard from several people who've had success with calcium bentonite, but others who've had a bad experience with bentonite or zeolite (not to mention reports of contamination).
I think Ayruveda has loads of good things to offer! :) I was going to start a thread - M.E. is a Vata Pittance disturbance.
There are many detoxification methods in Ayurveda. I lost a lot of weight from drinking hot ginger tea which is recommended for weight loss and detox, but I got pretty sick after that so maybe I released too many toxins. I'm taking triphala which is recommended for toxins, but part of the reason I'm taking it is because it's a source of low sugar/high antioxidant fruit (especially amla berry). Guggul (aka myhrr) can bind to toxins and lower cholesterol, but it also can lower coenzyme Q10 so I wouldn't recommend it.

Lotus97

If I'm mixing the binders with water rather than taking them in capsules is it possible that they will grab some metals from my amalgams when I drink the solution?

Sushi

Also, according to some doctors, many brands of chlorella have traces of heavy metals--another thing to be cautious about.

Sushi

Lotus97

Also, according to some doctors, many brands of chlorella have traces of heavy metals--another thing to be cautious about.

Sushi
Do you have any idea which brands? Swanson was having a buy one get one free offer on 1500 tablets of Kyoto Chlorella:balloons:How could I pass up that deal?