• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NON sunglasses for light sensitivity, do they exist?

EtherSpin

Hi guys, regarding light sensitivity (which happens to me regardless of light source) I need to get some glasses - it nearly induces fainting and leaves me with halo/artifacts in my vision even when I walk somewhere dimmer.
I've had CFS 5 years and only recently accepted what it was, I'm still embarrassed to sit in social situations where most are standing and would feel ridiculous wearing sunglasses indoors.
is there such a thing as a type of glasses that are clear on the outside (to other people) but block a fair amount of light for the wearer ? the tinting glasses would not be appropriate,its not just UV that is a problem and in the time taken to tint I could pass out on a bad day.

I'd love any info about such a thing, i have tunnel vision with onset of a bad day and as orthostatic stuff is playing up so prescription looking glasses would be appropriate anyways as I am actually impaired when sick

GcMAF Australia

NoIR (No InfraRed) sunglasses are made by NoIR Medical Technologies. NoIR sunglasses have a patented protective coating that protects eyes from infrared, ultraviolet, and blue light, as well as bright visible light. NoIR sunglasses block out the longer, invisible electro-magnetic infrared waves which ordinary sunglasses cannot block out. They offer this essential protection in several different styles to be worn with or without prescription glasses. The correct sunglasses are important because the pupil dilates in low light to let in more light.
The amber colored lens causes high contrast in vision because is also filters most blue light. The amber lens also distorts colors, but is essential to adequately block artificial light.
http://tinyurl.com/ac7683v
It is believed that all wave lengths of natural light (infra-red to ultraviolet) can provide enough solar electromagnetic energy to cause the creation of 1,25-D within the skin cells and light to be transmitted to the brain (amygdala) via the eyes. http://tinyurl.com/cru7vt5
Bright light, both natural and artificial, falling on the eyes is thought to cause psychological symptoms (insomnia, brain fog, irritability, etc.) due to stimulation of the amygdala. Most patients experience some degree of visual photosensitivity and need to wear adequate eye protection to maintain tolerable symptoms.
http://www.ausautoimmunity.org.au/noir-medical-sunglasses.htm
for information (but the supplier mentioned may not be still going)
http://www.noir-medical.com/
maybe an australian contact??
also
https://chronicillnessrecovery.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=170

maryb

iherb code TAK122
EtherSpin - what a brilliant link to the axon-optics site - I would have died for these when I was workiing and suffering from debilitating migraines - I just suffer really badly from light sensitivity now - but need prescription lenses wo will have to wait for them to develop these. Fantastic if you don't need prescription lenses though.

_June

aren't I pretty? *baaah!*
Why not figure out what's causing the light sensitivity and how to fix it? I no longer have light sensitivity since I (accidentally) changed my diet. It might be worth looking into. My light sensitivity was so bad I wore sunglasses indoors and couldn't go outside without closing my eyes and wearing sunglasses and having someone hold my arm and guide me.

But if you don't want to try that, I think you'll just have to get used to wearing sunglasses or Transitions lenses around other people. You don't want tinted glasses so that aren't many options. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's no different than needing a wheelchair to get around, or wearing a hearing aid.

Life's too short to think about what others think.

GcMAF Australia

Why not figure out what's causing the light sensitivity and how to fix it? I no longer have light sensitivity since I (accidentally) changed my diet. It might be worth looking into. My light sensitivity was so bad I wore sunglasses indoors and couldn't go outside without closing my eyes and wearing sunglasses and having someone hold my arm and guide me.

But if you don't want to try that, I think you'll just have to get used to wearing sunglasses or Transitions lenses around other people. You don't want tinted glasses so that aren't many options. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's no different than needing a wheelchair to get around, or wearing a hearing aid.

I beleive that this may be related to high1,25 D ?
possibly Lyme disease

EtherSpin

what was the particular diet change if you dont mind me asking ? In my limited understanding light sensitivity (and sound sensitivity) are known features of CFS and may be from hyper vigilance in combination with vision / cognitive impairment that comes from reduced blood to the brain & less ATP available to neurons ?

in short, I wouldn't have a clue as to any dietary cause and it seemed counterintuitive to me that it would be dietary when the only major dietary change I've made is reducing my sugar intake (mostly by reducing / not consuming sweet baked goods and other desserts and snack bars) - the light sensitivity came in the same week as sound problems and a new level of dizzyness/balance problems (in early December)

leela

EtherSpin, thank you so much for the Axon link.
I contacted them and they were helpful and kind way beyond the norm.
Really caring, dedicated people. I can't wait for the no-pressure-point ones!

EtherSpin

hi Leela , I briefly fooled myself that I could get by without intervention (because I had naturally avoided lighting for a few weeks but I went to a meeting necessary for my disability pension and came so close to passing out and had to put my cap and sunglasses on indoors as much as I feel rude putting dark shaded glasses on when trying to look someone in the eye indoors.
are you going the rockethub route or ordering directly from the axon people ? Im not sure yet because ive never had glasses and need to find out my dimensions for specs,twenty days to go on the rockethub thing, 100 dollars gets two pairs on there if the frame is ok for you

leela

hi ether,
i'm going rockethub because i need the no pressure-point aspect. sometimes my head is so sensitive even a down pillow feels hard :eek: my regular glasses are often unbearable and they only weigh 2.5 grams.

they are going to work generously with me on putting an Rx in them (whenever the new ones come out--hope it's soon)
and were really great about proposing options during the waiting period.
it's such a delight to encounter people so understanding and caring about what the suffering of migraine and allodynia really is.

thank you again for pointing me to them, i was quite surprised by their responsiveness.

EtherSpin

oh cool, I missed that bit,just saw that the frame type on rocket looks similar to one on the main site. I'll consider doing that too,the thing Im worried about is how long they would take to be made and arrive if the rockethub run goes ahead

EtherSpin

hi ether,
i'm going rockethub because i need the no pressure-point aspect. sometimes my head is so sensitive even a down pillow feels hard :eek: my regular glasses are often unbearable and they only weigh 2.5 grams.
did you get any notifications or updates Leela? at the last minute i ordered a pair (1 pair) at the 125 dollar price point, I didnt realise only a portion of backers could grab the 2 pairs for 100 dollars deal - I went on this morning to see if it was like one day till the end of the campaign and it says 41 days cause they have extended the time on it . Im more familiar with kickstarter than rockethub and have no idea when we would actually get the glasses OR what happens if they dont actually reach their goal/target dollar sum

EtherSpin

actually i just found this quote "
Benjamin Rollins

Hi Darlene and Anne, Rocket Hub requested that our end date get pushed out so we hope to ship the eyewear 30-60 days after the end date. Please feel free to contact Axon directly at info (at) axonoptics.com direction with questions about it.
3 days ago" so 2-3 months wait :(

iam suffering with light sensitivity.what diet u have taken.

EtherSpin

BTW - no issues here now! I have two pairs of glasses from axon optics, one "ourdoor" pair that resemble sunglasses and have dark rose coloured lenses, they are really effective for fluorescent lights but unfortunately they look like im trying to be cool or something so i save those literally for outdoors and got a different frame shape with indoor tint but transitions lenses for stepping outside. i wear those for doctors and for my appointments about disability pension (both happen to have awful lights all over the place)

BUT - I havent needed them except on days when ive had lots of caffeine on an empty stomach, clonazepam takes away 80% of the issue, much like with sound sensitivity

GcMAF Australia

I have found that increasing fluid uptake has helped.
I am using either soups with a lot of water
or boil some fruit and drink the liquid

I think this is related to dehydration of the eye,

avoid lighting the room. I find my sight is better in the dark rather than light.

Using this method I can now do without my glasses!!!!!!!