• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is vitamin D too high?

vamah

I tested low for vitamin D several months ago and have been taking 5000iu a day since then. When I was retested recently my level was 57 (up from 20) on a test that said normal range was 25-100. My doctor says that anything over 35 is too high and I should not take more than 1000iu. I am confused. Anyone have insight in to this?

Rand56

LEF says anyone under the 50 level is deficient. I understand not everyone is in agreement as far as optimal levels but I would think your doctor is off by saying anything over 35 is too high. Even from this statement on this site..it reinforces that you doc is off in what he is saying....

"In fact, 20% of our tests revealed 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels below 30 ng/mL, a number that even conventional doctors recognize as insufficient."

So his/her "high" level is only 5 points higher than what conventional doctors recognize as being insufficient?? Something doesn't seem right about what he/she is telling you.

vamah

LEF says anyone under the 50 level is deficient. I understand not everyone is in agreement as far as optimal levels but I would think your doctor is off by saying anything over 35 is too high. Even from this statement on this site..it reinforces that you doc is off in what he is saying....

"In fact, 20% of our tests revealed 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels below 30 ng/mL, a number that even conventional doctors recognize as insufficient."

So his/her "high" level is only 5 points higher than what conventional doctors recognize as being insufficient?? Something doesn't seem right about what he/she is telling you.

Thanks for this. I was inclined to disagree with my doctor -- she was trying to attribute pain I was having to too much vitamin D, but she was also trying to attibute my anger at poor healthcare to mental illness, so it wasn't a stellar day for her. :confused: I may go down to 2000iu once the weather is nicer and I can spend time in the sun, but for now I will stick to 5000.

I may go down to 2000iu once the weather is nicer and I can spend time in the sun, but for now I will stick to 5000.
Our bodies should be able to produce way more vitamin D than we can get from supplements with just a little bit of UVB exposure, and without risk of producing excess. But we tend to be "special" so who knows :cool:

vamah

Our bodies should be able to produce way more vitamin D than we can get from supplements with just a little bit of UVB exposure, and without risk of producing excess. But we tend to be "special" so who knows :cool:

Yes, I guess I am "special." My original low result was during the summer, when I get plenty of sun, so I think my body just isn't able to produce enough.

You could try reducing to 3000, and seeing what happens?

PS: I'm speaking from position of near total ignorance.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I tested low for vitamin D several months ago and have been taking 5000iu a day since then. When I was retested recently my level was 57 (up from 20) on a test that said normal range was 25-100. My doctor says that anything over 35 is too high and I should not take more than 1000iu. I am confused. Anyone have insight in to this?

With this illness it is also important to check Vit D 1,25 which is often too high when Vit D 25 is too low. I think it is the Vit D 1,25 values going too high that are something to watch more than the Vit D 25 going too high.

Sushi

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
My doctor says optimal is in the 70s. Other web sources say optimal is in the 50s, but you won't find many who will say you're too high at 57.

Ema

With this illness it is also important to check Vit D 1,25 which is often too high when Vit D 25 is too low. I think it is the Vit D 1,25 values going to high that are something to watch more than the Vit D 25 going too high.

Sushi
How do I quadruple-like this post!!!

I completely agree. Shoot for whatever 25-OH level keeps your 1,25 OH level around 30. For me, this works out to 4000 IU/day and my 25-OH level is in the 50s.

Ema

*GG*

With this illness it is also important to check Vit D 1,25 which is often too high when Vit D 25 is too low. I think it is the Vit D 1,25 values going too high that are something to watch more than the Vit D 25 going too high.

Sushi

My Dr tests for 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D, is this the same as 1 of the 2 you mention above Sushi?

GG

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
So you are saying there are 3 different ways of giving results for Vitamin D instead of 2?

GG

Sorry, no there are only two that I know of. 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D is what I was calling Vit D 25--as opposed to Vit D 1,25.

Sushi