• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rambling B12 thoughts: MFolate, absorption and pill cutting option

sregan

For years I've been putting my sublinguals under my lip as Freddd has suggested. I saw his B12 post way back when and have been doing all my sublinguals that way. I Usually use the upper lip but it doesn't have as much saliva which may be good or not I don't know.

Some ideas
  • For pill cutting into very small portions (less than 1/4s), why not use a timer. Put the sublingual under your lip then run your timer. When time is up put it in a container for next time. The next time it will be a little smaller (10%?) You can increase the time by this much perhaps. Done properly this could eliminate all that pill cutting. (This should be valid for mFolate tablets also even if they are not "sublingual")
  • I occasionally move them around with my tongue when I think the spot it dry. Got me thinking that moving them in this manner could speed absorption. Like writing on a chalk board with a piece of chalk. You cover more surface area and should absorb faster and possibly better this way except for what you might take away with your tongue. To solve that you could push it around from the outside with your finger.

The sublingual b12s must be retained under the upper lip or tongue for 45 minutes to two hours for effectiveness with verified absorbtion ranging from 15% to 25% with urine colorimetry and by effect.

Above quoted from Freddds B12 post.

I thought that was recommended due to the veins under the tongue. That the sublingual material had an easy route to the blood. I know I've used under the top lip and had some success but wondering...

Lotus97

For years I've been putting my sublinguals under my lip as Freddd has suggested. I saw his B12 post way back when and have been doing all my sublinguals that way. I Usually use the upper lip but it doesn't have as much saliva which may be good or not I don't know.
My understanding was the reason why it was recommended was because it dissolves slower which increases the absorption rate. I can't say for sure if it works better, but I know Freddd needs a high amount of B12 so he's more aware of when he's not getting enough. With certain brands it sometimes stops dissolving so I transfer it to my lower lip/gum or under tongue
For pill cutting into very small portions (less than 1/4s), why not use a timer. Put the sublingual under your lip then run your timer. When time is up put it in a container for next time. The next time it will be a little smaller (10%?) You can increase the time by this much perhaps. Done properly this could eliminate all that pill cutting. (This should be valid for mFolate tablets also even if they are not "sublingual")
Once it's wet it will continue dissolving. Also, I've noticed the rate at which it dissolves in my mouth varies depending partially on saliva.
I occasionally move them around with my tongue when I think the spot it dry. Got me thinking that moving them in this manner could speed absorption. Like writing on a chalk board with a piece of chalk. You cover more surface area and should absorb faster and possibly better this way except for what you might take away with your tongue. To solve that you could push it around from the outside with your finger.
That's a good idea about increasing the surface area that it touches, if it mixes with saliva it will dissolve quicker which is undesired. There is another way to do this though. I haven't tried this though, but someone started a thread about it.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-b12-fast-efficiently-under-the-tongue.20973/

One thing I noticed about Source Naturals' sublinguals is that they say to rotate the areas the sublingual touches. I'm not sure why they say this and like I said earlier when I tried this I had to be careful not to get too much saliva on the tablet or it would dissolve too quickly. I was wondering if anyone knows why they recommend this and would it be a good idea to have it touch multiple surfaces both lip and under tongue.

Freddd

Some ideas
  • For pill cutting into very small portions (less than 1/4s), why not use a timer. Put the sublingual under your lip then run your timer. When time is up put it in a container for next time. The next time it will be a little smaller (10%?) You can increase the time by this much perhaps. Done properly this could eliminate all that pill cutting. (This should be valid for mFolate tablets also even if they are not "sublingual")
  • I occasionally move them around with my tongue when I think the spot it dry. Got me thinking that moving them in this manner could speed absorption. Like writing on a chalk board with a piece of chalk. You cover more surface area and should absorb faster and possibly better this way except for what you might take away with your tongue. To solve that you could push it around from the outside with your finger.

Above quoted from Freddds B12 post.

I thought that was recommended due to the veins under the tongue. That the sublingual material had an easy route to the blood. I know I've used under the top lip and had some success but wondering...

Hi Sregan,

In practice they appear almost identical. While the tongue has maybe better blood supply also more saliva shortens the retention time and decreases concentration. Moving around is something I have done a lot of without really thinking about it

Plum

My methylcobalamine lasts at best 10 mins under my tongue. The solgar ones are mush after two mins. Would love to know what brands are lasting 45mins!

I thought you had to put under tongue due to closeness of blood vessels there.

I find cutting pills into 1/8 quite easy with a large kitchen knife....

Freddd

My methylcobalamine lasts at best 10 mins under my tongue. The solgar ones are mush after two mins. Would love to know what brands are lasting 45mins!

I thought you had to put under tongue due to closeness of blood vessels there.

I find cutting pills into 1/8 quite easy with a large kitchen knife....

Hi Plum,

The ONLY brand of MeCbl that I find neurologically effective at this time is Enzymatic Therapy B1`2 infusion. Under the upper lip, with practice it can last 2 hours or more. Many people don't find much effect until into the second half hour. Working back from the brands I have charted well on absorption, 10 minutes makes for about 3% absorption, compared to the 25-33% that I have managed with the 2-3 hours period. On 3% of a fraction of a pill it would be very difficult to ever get healing going. I wouldn't expect an 8th to last long as it is so little. You would be lucky to be getting 5mcg.absorbed. Technique can make a huge difference in all this, not quite the same difference brand makes, burt just as sizable in effectiveness.

Plum

Thanks for the info Fredd. I take 1/2 a methylB12 pill and I have noticed a difference already with that. But yes I do need to increase time for absorption. I take 1/8 of the folinic as any more makes me go crazy!

Plum

Fredd - how do you know how much is being absorbed? I know a small amount in lets say 10 mins but how do you know how much that has gone up?

liquid sky

Fred, is there a list of brands and general protocol somewhere? One with the latest information that you recommend? I have brands here I have to throw out like B-right and I don't want to waste any more money. Can you point me to the right info in one place? Thanks.

Freddd

Thanks for the info Fredd. I take 1/2 a methylB12 pill and I have noticed a difference already with that. But yes I do need to increase time for absorption. I take 1/8 of the folinic as any more makes me go crazy!

Hi Plum,

I did thousands of doses with urine colorimetry, whole series of them, comparing sublingual results to precise injections.. Basically the first 45 minutes absorbs at about 1% each 3 minutes more or less. The next 45 minutes absorbs at about 1% each 4.5 minutes more or less. The next 45 minutes absorbs at about 1% each 8 minutes. I'm sure with finer time granularity I could get it more precise. But for the purposes here it is close enough generally since we are looking for ballpark amounts. As titration is by effectiveness anyway it just lets us talk about it in a reasonable way and estimating dose. Basically it says that a 2 hour holding time could be 1/10th the cost of the 10 minute time for the same total amount of MeCbl and AdoCbl. or whatever you are using.

Plum

Hi Plum,

I did thousands of doses with urine colorimetry, whole series of them, comparing sublingual results to precise injections.. Basically the first 45 minutes absorbs at about 1% each 3 minutes more or less. The next 45 minutes absorbs at about 1% each 4.5 minutes more or less. The next 45 minutes absorbs at about 1% each 8 minutes. I'm sure with finer time granularity I could get it more precise. But for the purposes here it is close enough generally since we are looking for ballpark amounts. As titration is by effectiveness anyway it just lets us talk about it in a reasonable way and estimating dose. Basically it says that a 2 hour holding time could be 1/10th the cost of the 10 minute time for the same total amount of MeCbl and AdoCbl. or whatever you are using.
Thanks for the info Fredd - I am tempted to do this experiment myself!

Lotus97

I am using the Perque hydroxocobalamin, and also get about 10 minutes at best under the tongue.
I use that too. Recently I've been putting it between my upper lip and gum and it lasts at least an hour or two. Sometimes it stops dissolving so I transfer it to my lower lip or under my tongue to have dissolve the rest of the way. If I transfer it to under my tongue I try to hold it under my tongue even after its completely dissolved and mixed with saliva. The best way to do that is to tilt your head back or lie down. I also cut up my tablet with an Exacto knife and divide up the doses throughout the day so I can keep B12 in my system for longer. Once your glutathione and folate levels rise they will help you recycle the B12, but both glutathione and folate are usually low at the beginning of methylation which is why it's good to divide up the doses.