• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bedding and mattresses, do they make a difference?

I have been looking at hypo-allergenic mattresses including memory foam mattresses, Im wondering if anyone has had any noticeble improvement in their health or sleep from changing their bedding/mattress.

Since many ME/CFS sufferers have issues with allergy I was thinking that changes in their bedding mattress could make a difference.

I was looking at some memory foam mattresses however I have heard they contain a number of harmful chemicals :( whilst organic mattresses are very expensive.

Plum

This is not going to add to your query but it is related! I find an electric blanket you can put over the top of you is very helpful. Especially with pain or when it's winter. Helps keep you warm and toasty.

I used to use a sponge pillow when I was a kid - for allergies. But have feather pillows or synthetic now. Haven't found a difference although duck down does have a certain smell which I don't like. I couldn't afford a memory foam mattress or organic one but it is something to keep in mind so thanks for the idea.

Valentijn

I got a nice and soft Ikea foam mattress. I don't have MCS, but am very sensitive to smells, and didn't have any problems with it. Since they sell the same items throughout Europe, they're meeting the strictest standards for materials (German I think) for their mattresses and furniture. So pretty safe stuff, even if it's cheap.

I also really need the foam for the comfort. I get pain issues, especially since I have to sleep on my left side all night, so it's very important for me to get something that's supportive but very gentle on me. I also have an Ikea foam topper on it for a couple more inches of poofiness.

I agree with Plum about electric blankets. If I'm out in the cold for a while, it takes me hours in a warm room to warm up, even if under a very warm duvet. Anything that keeps me from shivering (shivering = muscle use) has to be a good thing.

jeffrez

I bought an organic Merino wool comforter from nontoxic.com this year - it was one of the best purchases I ever made. The wool is naturally hypoallergenic, and it seems to regulate body temperature perfectly. I turn the heat off in my room at night in the winter, sometimes opening a window for fresh air, and this comforter with just a flannel sheet was enough down to 38F (meaning 38F in the room!). Colder than that, like during subzero cold snaps, and I needed to add another blanket, but then it was almost too warm! I can't believe how much my sleep quality improved over a stack of just regular cotton blankets. Night and day difference, no pun intended. When it's time for a new mattress, I'm definitely going organic wool. I can't imagine using anything else at this point.

Ema

I have a TempurPedic Cloud Supreme. It is like a miracle for me. I hope I never have to go back to a regular mattress again.

I was worried about offgassing and chemical fumes because I have read the reports as well but I can honestly say that the smell never bothered me and was gone totally within a few days. Hopefully it is not oozing silent toxins at me but until proven otherwise, I would recommend this bed to anyone unhesitatingly.

Ema

Thanks for the suggestions, I find this at the following website: http://www.welovesleep.co.uk/item-116-Organic_Wool_Mattress_Topper.aspx

"They are perfect for those who wish to either reduce the contamination of their homes by chemicals or for those who are sensitive or allergic to chemicals, for example ME Sufferers, or those who suffer from Multiple Chemical Sensitivity

• As we spend 1/3 of our life in bed, our Organic Wool Mattress Topper can seriously reduce your exposure to these chemicals, making your bedroom a more natural, relaxing environment
  • Sufferers of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity often find the flame retardant chemicals in their mattress can aggravate their condition and cause them to suffer symptoms ranging from skin irritations to extreme lethargy
  • This Topper creates an Organic barrier between you and your conventional mattress, giving you a chemical free sleep surface "
All sales talk but i wonder if it really does make a difference might be worth getting new covers and a topper, as wool mattresses are very expensive.

jeffrez

Are you in the US or UK? I have no financial interest at all, but you should talk to Daliya at nontoxic.com. She has MCS herself and understands the issues and the products. She won't steer you wrong. She gave me a free shipping discount b/c I'm on SSD, and when a cover I bought didnt work because of the pigment dye, she took it back no questions asked. Super nice lady.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I had the year from hell with mattresses - if you don't have MCS then no problem. I bought an 'organic latex mattress' it was outside and inside for 2 months before I sent it back because of the smell - they replaced it with a sprung mattress with a latex topper - my husband is sleeping on it in the spare room at present, he says its fantastic. I put 4 covers on it before the sheet but could still smell it so have never slept on it.
We both suffer from hip pain if we sleep on rubbish mattresses. I have FM so need the comfort too.
Like V I eventually bought 2 mattresses from Ikea, we have a super kingsize bed for 2 - they're sprung with a deep memory foam topper. I covered mine with a waterprrof (breathable) cover and then 2 mattress protectors, then a thick pure cotton sheet, so it was okay from the first night.
Bliss to get into.
Good beds really make a difference to sleep.
Pure cotton sheets can wash at 950 which will kill anything. Always sleep better when I've changed my sheets. Wish I had the energy to do it more often.

L'engle

moogle
I bought an organic Merino wool comforter from nontoxic.com this year - it was one of the best purchases I ever made. The wool is naturally hypoallergenic, and it seems to regulate body temperature perfectly. I turn the heat off in my room at night in the winter, sometimes opening a window for fresh air, and this comforter with just a flannel sheet was enough down to 38F (meaning 38F in the room!). Colder than that, like during subzero cold snaps, and I needed to add another blanket, but then it was almost too warm! I can't believe how much my sleep quality improved over a stack of just regular cotton blankets. Night and day difference, no pun intended. When it's time for a new mattress, I'm definitely going organic wool. I can't imagine using anything else at this point.

I just got some socks with merino wool built in. They are warm and comfortable. An entire comforter made of this sounds quite wonderful. With a down duvet, sweating in the night because I need the heater on in order to fall asleep, then having to turn it off, getting cold and having to turn it back on again... well, not a great circle. I still would not want the room truly cold as I think breathing the cold air isn't great, and also it's not pleasant when I inevitably have to get up in the night.

A new addition to my wish list!

golden

I have just been looking at Earthing mattresses.

I was sleeping with 4volts of electricity running through me. I got an EArthing sheet and its now 0.06 volts with noticeable improvements.

I merely held an electricity extension cable and my personal electricity reading went to 14 volts... I can't imagine sleeping with an electric blanket would help the body rejuvenate - although snug and warm :)

penny

We got a set of linen sheets last year and love them, they seem to regulate temperature better than the nice cotton ones (less of the too hot, too cold cycle). They aren't cheap, but we just use the one set (wash and put back on the bed) and they seem to be holding up pretty well.

And we have a base level tempurpedic (which we actually bought used) six months or so after I got sick. I didn't notice any problems with smell or off gassing. But it definitely helped some, mainly because of the physical comfort (I could feel every spring in the regular mattress - like the princess and the pea) and because there's less transfer of motion when my husband moves (so less waking up from that).

Valentijn

And we have a base level tempurpedic (which we actually bought used) six months or so after I got sick. I didn't notice any problems with smell or off gassing. But it definitely helped some, mainly because of the physical comfort (I could feel every spring in the regular mattress - like the princess and the pea) and because there's less transfer of motion when my husband moves (so less waking up from that).

Hah, bouncing me around used to be one of my fiance's favorite hobbies. He was so disappointed when we switched to foam and all of his bouncing doesn't jostle me at all :cool: Of course, he makes up for it any time we stay at a hotel or with relatives - bouncing around enthusiastically while grinning like an idiot :rolleyes:

Plum

Electric blankets come with a timer. So I put mine on for either 1 or 2 hours depending on how cold I am. When you have painful legs it's a God send. Really eases the pain and allows you to go to sleep.

Valentijn

Electric blankets come with a timer. So I put mine on for either 1 or 2 hours depending on how cold I am. When you have painful legs it's a God send. Really eases the pain and allows you to go to sleep.
Mine's an electric throw, not a proper blanket. So I just use it to warm up when needed, especially before going to bed so I won't be shivering under the duvet.

penny

Hah, bouncing me around used to be one of my fiance's favorite hobbies. He was so disappointed when we switched to foam and all of his bouncing doesn't jostle me at all :cool: Of course, he makes up for it any time we stay at a hotel or with relatives - bouncing around enthusiastically while grinning like an idiot :rolleyes:

I swear to god my husband sometimes kicks the mattress in his sleep! Kicks it! What is that? It's annoying as hell, and even worse because he's asleep and so I can't really be irritated at him, it's not like he's doing it on purpose, but so annoying....so yeah, reducing transfer of motion is a gooooood thing!

One other thing that I think might help as well is having a solid bed base (platform) rather than a box spring/bed frame combo. We have the later so we still get some side to side motion transfer, but I used to have a solid platform base (with a futon mattress) and that seemed more solid.

Mattresses are one of the biggest sources of chemicals that you are breathing in all night!! It blows my mind! Never go for regular foam witch is polyurethane and off-gasses indefinitely as far as I know or at least for a very long time, in the US, they are likely filled with really harmful flame retardants as well. Any IKEA mattress contains polyurethane foam even the one labelled green. You want to go with 100% natural latex, 100% organic cotton (or you will be breathing in pesticides) or wool. There is a memory foam made of 100% natural latex foam out there. I have written about the different options for a MCS sufferer (myself!) and tried to find the most affordable options. http://mychemicalfreehouse.blogspot.ca/2013/02/furniture-and-matresses.html

perchance dreamer

I'm thrilled with my Intellibed. It's a non-toxic, honey-comb shaped gel mattress. The one I got has latex, also:

http://www.intellibed.com/store/products/relief-perfect-latex/

It's temperature neutral and has zero odor, great for someone with chemical sensitivities. You get lots of support, but it feels soft on top. Too-firm mattresses give me fibro flares.

The trouble with Intellibed is that they have such a limited number of locations. You absolutely wouldn't want to buy one without trying it out in a store although they would like you to, of course. I got mine in Austin. Here are locations:

http://www.intellibed.com/store-locations/

even if a bed seems tolerable why risk exposure to chemicals throughout the night when you could get a chemical free mattress? itellibed has regular foam which means it off gasses polyurethane and I have no idea what is in the gel, you would need to find out the chemical composition which is probably proprietary. I would assume that this is a material that off-gasses unless you know exactly what's in it.