• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ampligen In Canada?

I was wondering if anyone has heard of any ME/CFS patients who have gotten access to Ampligen in Canada? I live in Canada, and it seems my only option is to travel to the U.S. to get it.

Trying to figure out what even my first steps might be to move forward with getting access to this drug on my home turf.

Thanks for any insights!

RUkiddingME

I was wondering if anyone has heard of any ME/CFS patients who have gotten access to Ampligen in Canada? I live in Canada, and it seems my only option is to travel to the U.S. to get it.

Trying to figure out what even my first steps might be to move forward with getting access to this drug on my home turf.

Thanks for any insights!
Hi Buster, I'm Canadian as well and I don't know of anyone having access to it. I see my ME/CFS doctor here next month and will ask her what the deal is when I've heard it's approved in Canada. It was never offered to me so maybe there needs to be a clinical trial going or something...At the moment I'm trying the Valcyte route. Best of luck

I'm Canadian as well.
Buster, I too am looking to get access to this drug, but haven't heard about anyone in Canada using it here (although I'm not that tapped into the Ampligen scene) --I'd love to hear back from other Canadians on this!!

RUkiddingME, how did you get access to Valcyte, is it covered by the Canadian healthcare system?

Thanks.

RUkiddingME

I'm Canadian as well.
Buster, I too am looking to get access to this drug, but haven't heard about anyone in Canada using it here (although I'm not that tapped into the Ampligen scene) --I'd love to hear back from other Canadians on this!!

RUkiddingME, how did you get access to Valcyte, is it covered by the Canadian healthcare system?

Thanks.
Hi menofeelsgood; sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I was in bad shape for 6 weeks and then the miacle started to happen. Yep I believe the Valcyte is working for me. I am beyond excited. (check out my Valcyte 2013 blog on this site). It took me over a year and a half to get my hands on Valcyte. I first tested positive for HHV6 and EBV in August of 2011 while attending a Fibro and Fatigue Centre in Vegas. I knew of Valcyte and also knew how extremely expensive it was. By the time I got the results back from my blood work, the centre I was attending had disentigrated and taken over by an anti-aging doctor. The Valcyte option was no longer given to me (just supplements). After waiting 1 1/2 years to see a ME/CFS doctor in Canada, this doctor said I would need more proof to convince a canadian doctor to prescribe the Valcyte so we sent my blood to the Wisconsin Viral Group where I tested strongly positive for HHV6 even with rapid culture. My Canadian doctor then contacted a US doctor for treatment advice and together got in touch with my family doctor. At the time Famvir was presribed as they all thought it was a safer drug. I had no success on the Famvir and decided to go see the US doctor in person. Sure enough I was a perfect candidate for Valcyte and my familly doctor agreed to prescribe it. I have my blood drawn monthly and a copy of the results sent to my US doctor. My husband's work insurance pays for the Valcyte!! Otherwise it would be $1,500 a month. Hope this helps! Good luck:)