• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylcobalamin causes tachycardia - why?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I will say that potassium appears to need increases alone, without the other electrolytes or the other electrolytes may drive q need for potassium as the potassium is used rapidly and doesn't stay in serum.

That might be true for you, Fredddd, but some of us also need a considerable amount of magnesium.

Magnesium is responsible for over 300 functions in the body. There are many articles about this here:
http://www.naturalnews.com/magnesium.html

Freddd

That might be true for you, Fredddd, but some of us also need a considerable amount of magnesium.

Magnesium is responsible for over 300 functions in the body. There are many articles about this here:

Hi Dreambirdies,

The balance is important. If one increases potassium by 2 grams and sodium and calcium and magenesium a standard proportion it won't work. That was what I was trying to say, not that other things were not needed but that adding ALL electrolytes indiscrimnantly becasue the rate of potassium usage went up most is not going to work. It was a CAUTION, not what proportion works best for everybody.

Magnesium is responsible for over 300 functions in the body. There are many articles about this here.

Of course it is very important. That is why it is on the critical cofactor list I been putting up for the last 8 years. Why would you think otherwise?

adreno

PR activist
I believe the answer is that hypermethylation causes hypokalemia (in some people at least). Maybe this is a hormonal effect, I don't know. In any case, the only thing that permanently corrects the hypokalemia is to remove the excess of methyl donors.

Lotus97

Magnesium deficiency can increase the likelihood of hypokalemia (low potassium).
http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/18/10/2649.full
Supplementing with taurine can help maintain electrolyte balance and helps your cells retain magnesium and potassium. Taurine and magnesium can also help with excitotoxicity which can be exacerbated during the methylation process. Some people have problems with sulphur containing supplements so I'd recommend starting on a low dose of Taurine. Nature's Life and Now Foods sell taurine in powder form which is the most affordable. Taurine and all free form amino acids are recommended to be taken on an empty stomach or at least without protein.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Magnesium deficiency can increase the likelihood of hypokalemia (low potassium). http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/18/10/2649.full

Supplementing with taurine can help maintain electrolyte balance and helps your cells retain magnesium and potassium. Taurine and magnesium can also help with excitotoxicity which can be exacerbated during the methylation process. Some people have problems with sulphur containing supplements so I'd recommend starting on a low dose of Taurine. Nature's Life and Now Foods sell taurine in powder form which is the most affordable. Taurine and all free form amino acids are recommended to be taken on an empty stomach or at least without protein.

Thanks, Lotus. I didn't know taurine can do this. I have some in my bottomless pit vitamin stash. I will have to try it out and see. I've had issues with both low magnesium and low potassium. If the taurine could help my cells maintain both, then that sounds good to me.

Lotus97

Thanks, Lotus. I didn't know taurine can do this. I have some in my bottomless pit vitamin stash. I will have to try it out and see. I've had issues with both low magnesium and low potassium. If the taurine could help my cells maintain both, then that sounds good to me.
It's hard to say what will work for you. Supplements seem to have different effects for different people, but I hope it works for you.:thumbsup: I haven't had any of my minerals/metals tested so I'm sort of flying blind right now. For example, I've suspected copper toxicity in myself based on symptoms, but my symptoms could also be from malfunctioning adrenals (which I know I have). It's true that copper toxicity can screw up adrenals, but so can Lyme and I know I have Lyme:thumbdown:(it says this emoticon is thumbs down, but it looks more like someone scratching their head as if pondering something and/or confused)

When I take 5mg methylcobalamin it causes me tachycardia. I then need massive amounts of potassium to calm down my heart rate (about 10 grams). Why?

I also take 3 x 800mg methylfolate. When I take it with hydroxycobalamin, I can control my POTS/tachycardia with a steady dose of about 5 grams potassium daily. When I switch to methylcobalamin, my heart rate gets out of control and I need much more.

I have heard the theory that there is a drop in potassium levels, caused by new cells being created. But come on, 10 grams!? Also, I do have doubts about this theory. What about other people who create lots of new cells, like people who just gave blood, people who had surgery, people who had chemotherapy, or athletes/bodybuilders? I have never heard of anyone needing to take 10 grams of potassium daily.

Thank you for any comments.

This is a very late reply, but I think I have just found out why this is. I get this too, and also have POTS. When I was taking high doses of B12 I was also having to take a LOT of potassium to stop my heart racing. B12 is a vasodilator, so it opens up the veins and arteries, which, frankly, is the last thing someone with POTS wants. Most POTS treatment is aimed at vasoconstriction to keep the heart rate lower. Other vasodilators which I have found have this effect are magnesium and alcohol, and progesterone and potassium have diuretic effects, which is also bad for POTS. Vasoconstrictors work the opposite way, and I am much more comfortable when I take calcium, or at least balance magnesium with calcium. During the high progesterone time of my cycle I counter with bioavailable estrogen. I think we people with POTS have to be very aware of vasoconstrictors and dilators and make sure there is balance in what we do. I don't know what balances out B12. I think we can just take very small doses of it ...
:-(

Freddd

As is being discussed on another thread on extreme potassium need, excess B2 in relation to the MeCbl-methylfolate and who knows what else appears to be a contributing cause .

Red04

I believe the answer is that hypermethylation causes hypokalemia (in some people at least). Maybe this is a hormonal effect, I don't know. In any case, the only thing that permanently corrects the hypokalemia is to remove the excess of methyl donors.

Stopping excess methyl donors probably would have permanently corrected my wife's hypokalemia symptoms too. But, my wife's hypokalemia went away as she healed the other 50 symptoms. She takes the same methylation supplements/dosages as when she was still ill. So, I guess, for her, "healing" was enough to permanently correct it. She takes no potassium supplements and has a fairly poor diet and has not had hypokalemia symptoms outside of pregnancy for a few years.

I don't know how common this is. A few years ago I seem to remember that there was a lot of talk of potassium demand going away as you worked your way to good health. I don't recall reading much of that lately. It certainly the case for us.

I guess I could ramp up the b2 and see what happens, but that seems mean.