• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

S-adenosylmethionine (SAM-e) - allergic?

LisaGoddard

Hi, I've reached a plateau in my methylation (I am taking methylb12, folate and adenosylb12, ribose and magcitrate) so I thought it was a good moment to try SAM-e. I woke up with a swollen face and red rash on my cheeks.

I thought perhaps I was just allergic to this supplement and would give it a miss. However, I wonder if it indicates that I am missing some other ingredient in my methylation treatment. I take High Bs including B6 but perhaps I need an even higher level?

p.s. I say I am in a plateau because I now no longer need any potassium - I was having to take 30 or more 99mg tablets a day.

Please any advice would be great!!!
Thanks,
Lisa

Freddd

Hi, I've reached a plateau in my methylation (I am taking methylb12, folate and adenosylb12, ribose and magcitrate) so I thought it was a good moment to try SAM-e. I woke up with a swollen face and red rash on my cheeks.

I thought perhaps I was just allergic to this supplement and would give it a miss. However, I wonder if it indicates that I am missing some other ingredient in my methylation treatment. I take High Bs including B6 but perhaps I need an even higher level?

p.s. I say I am in a plateau because I now no longer need any potassium - I was having to take 30 or more 99mg tablets a day.

Thanks,
Lisa

HI Lisa,

I assume you are using or have done an A-B comparison of floate types. If you haven't tried l-methylfoalte that would be something to try. If you haven't tried Enzymatic Therapy MeCbl than that is one to try with methylfolate. Then l-carnitine fumarate would be the next big holdup. Methylation can stall on partial ATP block.

Sparrow

Allergies aren't something you want to play around with, so it might be safest to leave it out for now. Maybe you could try a different brand in the future if it was important to you to know for sure. Taking it away will also let you know for sure that it wasn't something else you were reacting to, or a newly developed allergy to something else that just came on with coincidental timing.

cph13

Thanks,
Lisa
Lisa Hi, My reaction with totally different.

I have been using NatureMade Sam-E for years with great success for both mood and OA. I had a long discussion with Richvank re Sam-E. Please be aware you must take it with a B-complex. Also they say to take it on an empty stomach for best results.
My experience, after using it for over a year, I wanted to try and save some money and used the NSI-brand. I had a different reaction. It caused severe unrelenting gastritis for 3 days. My dr. had to prescribe belladonna for the pain. I have never strayed since. Although expensive, this is something that is a MUST in MY arsenal. You can go to
naturemade.com site for coupons. If you purchase see thier "rewards" that accumulate for additional coupons. I get mine on a BOGO plus I use the coupons..... it doesn't hurt so bad $$$$$ wise.....just sayin

Freddd

Lisa Hi, My reaction with totally different.

I have been using NatureMade Sam-E for years with great success for both mood and OA. I had a long discussion with Richvank re Sam-E. Please be aware you must take it with a B-complex. Also they say to take it on an empty stomach for best results.
My experience, after using it for over a year, I wanted to try and save some money and used the NSI-brand. I had a different reaction. It caused severe unrelenting gastritis for 3 days. My dr. had to prescribe belladonna for the pain. I have never strayed since. Although expensive, this is something that is a MUST in MY arsenal. You can go to
naturemade.com site for coupons. If you purchase see thier "rewards" that accumulate for additional coupons. I get mine on a BOGO plus I use the coupons..... it doesn't hurt so bad $$$$$ wise.....just sayin

Hii Cph,

I found that the brand makes a difference for me too. Also NatureMade SAM-e for me too as the really effective one.

LisaGoddard

Hi
HI Lisa,

I assume you are using or have done an A-B comparison of floate types. If you haven't tried l-methylfoalte that would be something to try. If you haven't tried Enzymatic Therapy MeCbl than that is one to try with methylfolate. Then l-carnitine fumarate would be the next big holdup. Methylation can stall on partial ATP block.

Hi Freddd,
Thanks for responding. I am using methylfolate (Folapro from Metagenix) but should have some metafolin from Solgar in the post tomorrow which is the one you use, I think. I am using the Enzymatic Therapy's methylb12 and find I can now tolerate up to 3 carnitine fumurate tablets daily which really seems to help with energy. I am also taking TMG. If you can think of anything else I should try, please say. I value your advice.
Thanks,
Lisa

ahmo

Lisa, Is it possible you have a sulfur intolerance? I've had terrible reactions to SAMe and MSM, my nervous system freaked out. More recently, on an elimination diet, I discovered that sulfur (actually high thiol, like garlic, onions, cabbage, etc) was underlying my facial eczema. When I stopped the foods, the rash cleared within 24 hours. Eventually I got my genetic testing, and have the CBS variant which predisposes to poor sulfur metabolism. I had to deal with this first, before pushing forward with methylation cycle. Best to you, ahmo

LisaGoddard

Thanks for this everyone. I am going to be cautious about trying it again in case it was an allergic reaction. Then I will try the recommended brand, Nature Made.
I don't think it is a reaction to sulphur because I found some benefit using MSM but have stayed away from it since as I wasn't sure how it fits with the methylation.
Its so good to be able to post on the forum and get feedback!
Blessings,
Lisa