• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

methylfolate, does it make you wired or tired ?

vortex

For the first few months anytime I took methylfolate it would make me tired, but I lately it has shifted and now it makes me wired and gives me energy ?

has anyone had a shift in reactions ?

Freddd

Hi Vortex,

I would suggest that perhaps the induced deficiencies have changed, and hopefully some other things have healed so that the demands on the body are different now. What other symptoms have changed in what ways over this time?

vortex

I really have never really felt anything other than being tired so no other changes.

I did take extra potassium today and I took some shortly before taking my methylfolate dose. Maybe I need to be preloading potassium shortly before the methylfolate dose. I also have been doing methylb12 shots so maybe the levels have started to come up.

Freddd

Hi Vortex,

There is a more than 50% chance according to my 7 years of experience injecting MeCbl that the injected MeCbl won't be sufficienctly effective to notice. How much are you injecting? How, full details are you iinjecting it? How do ypu store it? Let's work this thing through and see if it can work for you. There are lots of reasons why it might not work. For the whole thing to work can be complex.

vortex

I can feel an effect when I inject it, I do 5mg. every other day, sometimes I forget and go 3 days by accident and I notice that I am starting to drag and my energy crashes, I do a shot then and it immediately comes back.

Freddd

I can feel an effect when I inject it, I do 5mg. every other day, sometimes I forget and go 3 days by accident and I notice that I am starting to drag and my energy crashes, I do a shot then and it immediately comes back.

Hi Vortex,

I'll lay it out plain for you. The potassium doesn't work that way. About three days after a person starts MeCbl, AdoCbl and L-methyfolate healing turns on. It is mostly the effect that you feel when you inject that MeCbl. Then when healing turns on cell production goes up and potassium goes down in most people. A person may feel sick or have spasms or itching or heart palpitations or high blood pressure becasue of the low potassium. When you turn it off every day or teo healing never really gets going. If you were to take these every day and maintain the "brightness" healing may shift into high gear. It works best if one gets it going and keeps it going. And The Enzymatic Therapy MeCbl is usually as effective as the very BEST MeCbl injectable and better than most. AdoCbl is the other active b12 and heals inflammation and makes for energy.

perchance dreamer

I tried one cap of Neurobiologix Methylfolate Plus as soon as I woke up one morning. That night I had a miserable night's sleep.

http://www.neurobiologix.com/product-p/170.htm

I didn't take anymore because I have a low tolerance for things that give me bad sleep. I've suffered with sleep problems for years. Maybe the bad sleep effects would have gone away if I had stuck it out.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I tried one cap of Neurobiologix Methylfolate Plus as soon as I woke up one morning. That night I had a miserable night's sleep.

http://www.neurobiologix.com/product-p/170.htm

I didn't take anymore because I have a low tolerance for things that give me bad sleep. I've suffered with sleep problems for years. Maybe the bad sleep effects would have gone away if I had stuck it out.

Hi perchance dreamer-- Like you, I'm not willing to put up with days upon days of insomnia, due to some supplement. When my sleep goes down the tubes, everything else quickly gets worse. I've often had crashes from this, so I'm vey careful with how I proceed.

I have slowly (over the past 3 years) worked my B12 up from a crumb to 1000 mcg/day, alternating the HB12 and MB12. I am beginning to tolerate them better and recently tried out even larger doses.

I've not been taking any of the folates consistently for now. I have read that some people here have done better with folinic acid than they have with the methylfolate. I ordered both and I'm open to finding which one (or both) will work best for me.

Have you tried folinic acid? Maybe that would be a better option for you. Everybody is different, and there are no one size fits all agendas. In my case, the slow way has been the best way for me.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Red04

My wife's sleep has improved 10x. She used to "sleep" 15 hours on the weekends and 12 hours during the week. She would go to her car and take a nap on her lunch break. She had TMJ issues and surgeries and mouth guards. She was on several sleeping medications throughout the years. She had two sleep studies that didn't identify much.

Freddd's protocol fixed all that in a few months. It wasn't real clear what was happening to her sleep when we started. She would have bad nights and good nights. She would complain she didn't sleep and then she realized she wasn't really any more or less tired. But when she was tired all day everyday before the protocol, it didn't really matter what the protocol was doing.

Her sleep is now dramatically improved and more effective and non drug induced. She went from going to bed when she got off work and sleeping to the last possible second in the morning to all of the sudden getting up at 5am to train for a triathalon.

Lotus97

When I started methylfolate I didn't know what it was or what it did. I had been taking Jarrow's B Right b complex for over a year without any problems until they added methylfolate. I was extremely wired and experienced severe heart palpitations. I wasn't even taking B12 at the time. Since this happened right after my tooth with an amalgam cracked I thought the symptoms were from mercury poisoning. It took me over 5 weeks before I learned about methylation and figured out what was going on. This led to severe crash which I still haven't recovered from many months later. The heart palpations might have been partially caused by low potassium, but not the rest. I have heard of others having similar experiences with methylfolate.

For the first few months anytime I took methylfolate it would make me tired, but I lately it has shifted and now it makes me wired and gives me energy ?

has anyone had a shift in reactions ?
Were you taking the same amount of B12 during the time when you were tired as when you were wired? Did you increase your dose of B12 and/or add additional methyl donors since you started methylfolate a few months ago?