• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Two days on supplements

golden

been trialling lymphosot on an evening for a couple of weeks, fine on that.

elutherococcus in the morning for a week - probably ok with it....

last two days added in doctors choice antioxidant.

vit a 10,000 iu
vit c 500mg
vit e 200iu
b2 6mg
zinc 15mg
selenium 200mg
manganese 2mg

blue-green algae 100mg
garlic 100mg
ginger 100mg
green tea leaf extraxt 100 mg
NAC 100mg
sweet cherry fruit 100mg
turmeric (90%curcuminoids) 50mg
grape seed extract 10mg

I got cold symptoms and blowing of nose during these last two days but in each two days i felt an improvement in clarity for a couple of hours and like it was unblocking my head.

last night was the worst experience in many years as i woke up with a start as if i had not been breathing.

my throat and ribs were in a cramp that i have never felt before and it felt like a lump in my throat. my breathing and chest was very heavy and took a lot of effort to force breaths. very slow breathing and not getting any air.

today i am still laboured in my chest but feel back to 'normal'

i dont know if i should stop taking these supplements.

Plum

My personal experience with supplements is start one at a time. If you have gut issues this is even more important as you may not be able to break them down - in that case try true food versions.

Taking them one at a time allows you to see any adverse reactions and alter the dose accordingly.

Vit C should be sustained release or take smaller doses throughout the day.

Turmeric, grape seed etc is very powerful so start gently.

If you do have digestive issues you need to get that sorted which for some is impossible. But if you don't yr pretty much not getting the benefit from the supplements.

I've found since I started Perrin therapy that I am able to take supplements that previously had adverse effects.

A good diet and optional juicing can help increase yr nutrient intake and decrease the need for supplements.

golden

My personal experience with supplements is start one at a time. If you have gut issues this is even more important as you may not be able to break them down - in that case try true food versions.

Taking them one at a time allows you to see any adverse reactions and alter the dose accordingly.

Vit C should be sustained release or take smaller doses throughout the day.

Turmeric, grape seed etc is very powerful so start gently.

If you do have digestive issues you need to get that sorted which for some is impossible. But if you don't yr pretty much not getting the benefit from the supplements.

I've found since I started Perrin therapy that I am able to take supplements that previously had adverse effects.

A good diet and optional juicing can help increase yr nutrient intake and decrease the need for supplements.

I feel under pressure to take supplements - they have been advised, 'prescribed'.

I feel like if I dont, then they just feel I am not doing as they suggest so its no wonder I am ill.

The Perrin technique has been one of the best tools I have ever learned and I am on it too.

I also found I could tolerate more supplements eg Milk Thistle was very beneficial, epsom salt baths was again very beneficial and if I was getting a reaction I used the manual lymph drainage and it immediately helped.

It was the only type of 'massage' which didnt make me relapse. I believe the reverse lymph theory to be true.

I suppose will the success I thought I would be ok on the multi anti-oxidant.
I have never even had throat cramp before nor knew it existed -:(

I think Juicing and maximising on food nutrients is a good idea.

It has renewed my phobia of supplements (started by a much worse reaction to a whole host of supplements given to me) as it was quietly traumatic and reminded me I havent yet written my will which I must do just for peace of mind.

Plum

I am assuming your supplements are one of those ones where you get a mixture of things in a capsule rather than individual supplements? I don't think they're great for ME. How do you know what doesn't agree with you?

It worries me when you say you feel under pressure to take something. Nobody has the right to make you feel that way and the medical profession are brilliant at it. You live with yourself and your condition daily - nobody else does.

If your Dr's a dick then please find one who's willing to work WITH you. I worked with a Naturopath for a little bit and now with my Perrin Practitioner. I explained to both before I agreed to see them that I would not be doing anything they suggested without deciding for myself if I was happy with it. I also dictate when I have Perrin treatments depending on how I feel.

If your Dr is wanting you to take these things to see if they help you so as to rule something out etc. then talk to them about how sick you feel on them. If they have an explanation as to why you feel this way then ok (maybe). Also ask them about your gut and see how they respond to any concerns you have. If they're open to you changing your supplements or reducing the dose then they're ok, if not find some one else. If you need to take these supplements to move on to the next level of testing/referral/etc then tell them yr taking them so you can tick that box BUT you can do what you like at home.

To explain what I mean: I broke my wrist a few years ago, had an operation to fix it and now am having problems with it. Took me 6 months to get a referral. Saw the Consultant and the first thing he wanted to do was inject me with corticosteroids - not something I agree with BUT it's a one off thing and if I don't do it I don't get to explore other options. And the other options involve surgery which I could do with out. So I had the injection.

The reaction you have had to the supplements sound like a detox reaction or perhaps an allergic reaction of a sort. I did have a very big response to an intense Perrin therapy session which left me with a choking feeling and pain in my throat. Maybe try cutting back on the supplement dose?

*GG*

Why not Vitamin D? It's an immune modulator and a pre-hormone. I have been taking about 5000 IUs for over 3 years now.

Have you heard of Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN)? Also an immune modulator.

I take 4 to 5 grams of Vitamin C a day, and a few other supplements. FYI

GG

PS I take Chlorella also, not sure if that is blue green algae?

golden

I am assuming your supplements are one of those ones where you get a mixture of things in a capsule rather than individual supplements? I don't think they're great for ME. How do you know what doesn't agree with you?

It worries me when you say you feel under pressure to take something. Nobody has the right to make you feel that way and the medical profession are brilliant at it. You live with yourself and your condition daily - nobody else does.

If your Dr's a dick then please find one who's willing to work WITH you. I worked with a Naturopath for a little bit and now with my Perrin Practitioner. I explained to both before I agreed to see them that I would not be doing anything they suggested without deciding for myself if I was happy with it. I also dictate when I have Perrin treatments depending on how I feel.

If your Dr is wanting you to take these things to see if they help you so as to rule something out etc. then talk to them about how sick you feel on them. If they have an explanation as to why you feel this way then ok (maybe). Also ask them about your gut and see how they respond to any concerns you have. If they're open to you changing your supplements or reducing the dose then they're ok, if not find some one else. If you need to take these supplements to move on to the next level of testing/referral/etc then tell them yr taking them so you can tick that box BUT you can do what you like at home.

To explain what I mean: I broke my wrist a few years ago, had an operation to fix it and now am having problems with it. Took me 6 months to get a referral. Saw the Consultant and the first thing he wanted to do was inject me with corticosteroids - not something I agree with BUT it's a one off thing and if I don't do it I don't get to explore other options. And the other options involve surgery which I could do with out. So I had the injection.

The reaction you have had to the supplements sound like a detox reaction or perhaps an allergic reaction of a sort. I did have a very big response to an intense Perrin therapy session which left me with a choking feeling and pain in my throat. Maybe try cutting back on the supplement dose?

Thanks Plum.

I hadn't even realised I felt pressured until I wrote it.

They may try to push you on and live with the results and be fascinated with your relapse, but I have to live IN the results.

I definately thought Eleutherococcus would be problematic but I dont think it is at all. The Lymphomyosot supports the lymphatic system and I think that is key.

Yes, the anti oxidant is all in one capsule. Actually the ingredients above are when taking 3 capsules. I only two, one in the am and one at pm.

Now I am breathing properly again my breathinv was severly laboured in retrospect but it hasnt caused me to relapse just a cpuple of days not moving. I feel better in my head so I dont know it may be both a detox and a bad reaction as you say it will be impossible to tell.

I simply couldnt afford all those products individually though :( not to mentiln the organisation of taking them all lol :)

One thing I was wondering about - I took the powder out of the capsule and sprinkled it pn my food , is this ok and safe to do?
If it is believe it or not I am going to try it again. I dont know about doseage because I want to be taling enough to fix the problem but not toouch that it makes it worse.

How can I tell if I have gut issues which would mean I am unable to break them down?

I have been worse from the perrin technique but it hasnt cauaed a relapse. My throat though has been unbearable for her to touch but with a feather touch. Anything heavier and it causes problems. I can relate to your perrin experience.

I would definately say perrin technique is first and foremost to put into place .

golden

Why not Vitamin D? It's an immune modulator and a pre-hormone. I have been taking about 5000 IUs for over 3 years now.

Have you heard of Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN)? Also an immune modulator.

I take 4 to 5 grams of Vitamin C a day, and a few other supplements. FYI

GG

PS I take Chlorella also, not sure if that is blue green algae?[/quote

The blue green algae it says is aphanizomenon flos-aquae?

I didnt do well on D3 so did the full naked sun bathing insteadfollowed by not washing!!! as using soap messes up the chemical reaction....

but through winter it not so good...

not heard of LDN...

and the chlorella i have been told unless you know what you are doing (which I don't) the chlorella can drag out heavy metals only to dump them somewhere else even worse on the body??? it talked of very specific intervals of the right doseage of chlorella. I didnt feel ready for it.

Spirulina is supposed to be good, I may give it a whirl in a smoothie :)

I am so vitamin confused...

Now epsom salt baths were very helpful but magnesium spray after a couple of days, exhausted me in a bad way - Crazy :(

golden

Sorry, I have deleted the end quote bracket and its all one now :(

I tried to edit it but it hasnt worked.

Plum

Gut issues are wide ranging but something you need to get on top of if you do have them. They are very common in CFS. Things that spring to mind - indigestion, heartburn, bowel problems (IBS, constipation, diarrhoea), candida, bacterial imbalance (very common), leaky gut, food allergies. I know a lot of people find dairy and gluten an issue. You can look into an elimination diet (lots of info online) if you want to try and see if things like that do affect you without having to pay for a test.

It's fine to sprinkle supplements on food as far as I know. The capsule usually makes sure it isn't broken down until it reaches your gut. If you've done it once and were fine I can't see how it would be a problem.

Individual supplements are soooo expensive but if yr worried about things being an issue it might be one way to proceed. You can often buy 30 tablets of one supplement instead of 180! Would allow you to try things for a month.

golden

Gut issues are wide ranging but something you need to get on top of if you do have them. They are very common in CFS. Things that spring to mind - indigestion, heartburn, bowel problems (IBS, constipation, diarrhoea), candida, bacterial imbalance (very common), leaky gut, food allergies. I know a lot of people find dairy and gluten an issue. You can look into an elimination diet (lots of info online) if you want to try and see if things like that do affect you without having to pay for a test.

It's fine to sprinkle supplements on food as far as I know. The capsule usually makes sure it isn't broken down until it reaches your gut. If you've done it once and were fine I can't see how it would be a problem.

Individual supplements are soooo expensive but if yr worried about things being an issue it might be one way to proceed. You can often buy 30 tablets of one supplement instead of 180! Would allow you to try things for a month.

Plum,

I had a strong reaction to it including the throat cramp thing which is what made me just check to make sure you can swallow the powder without the capsule.

My body is really wanting something that's in them.. I have had bad reactions to supplements before and had no inclination to go near them ever again ...

I had like a bad cold reaction and it just unlocked all my head, helped my left eye and I am starting to get some normal feeling back in my front left skull which I have not had any relief from in over one whole year....

I would love to buy separate but am not even on the bread line :)

Gut issues may still be present but nothing too obvious. Have not had any wheat or gluten and have live saurkraut with no longer any bowel problems but maybe low HCL but seeing if it fixes itself - have MCS so don't know if I have leaky gut.

Miso and Tamari wheat free too.

I just wanted to make sure taking the powder out of the capsule isn't what caused the throat cramp before I do it again :)

I may ring up and ask.

Plum

Yeah, always best to ask if in doubt. Sorry money's so tight - it makes getting better or at least trying new things so hard. I struggle too!

You can try unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to help IF you have low HCL.

Good luck with things