• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

visit to mayo clinic

ukxmrv

They have such a bad reputation. The Neuropsych tests will be to pin your symptoms into that area I guess? The results will be "nothing physically wrong with you" but you are depressed.

Hugocfs

I became sick in September 2009. After seeing a chiropractor/neurologist, two family doctors, two neurologists, two endocrinologists, a pulminologist, and a cardiologist; I ended up at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville not knowing what was wrong with me. At least the internist there (Pedro Malavet) gave me a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome. None of the other doctors prior to that even mentioned it as a possibility. Also partially to his credit, he emphasized graded exercise therapy and did not even recommend cognitive behavoiral therapy. Needless to say, GET didn't work for me. Clearly the Mayo Clinic follows the British model, and they are very behind the times. If you know that you have chronic fatigue syndrome, don't bother going there. Stay away as they cannot help you. They put no emphasis or focus on it.

Hugocfs

Ps. Fortunately I didn't have a neuropysch. evaluation when I was there. If you are thinking you might need to make a long term disability claim in the future, it may not be in your interest to submit to it.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Loved your first entry :) Thanks for writing and keeping us all up-to-date. Looking forward to hearing your experiences. It's a shame that the Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic don't seem to be up on the latest in this illness. I wonder if the ME/CFS Community would make an effort to especially invite these doctors to good ME/CFS conferences, would they would come?

Depression was diagnosed via survey testing, so essentially just to echo everyone that's what to expect. I got a rare EEG, which was part of my goal, which could have easily been done locally at 1/20th the cost. No treatment recommendations were offered. Just adding to the marvelous pool of anecdotal data.