• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What does it mean when a Gene is "not found"?

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
My 23andME / Genetic Genie results show a number of "not founds" and "n/a's." Is this a flaw in the testing or is it possible to not have a particular gene? Did I not spit well enough?

Sorry if this has been answered before but I can't find the answer anywhere.

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
If the N/a's are NOS, SOUX, VDR fok, etc., they do not test for these. Which irritates me to no end. :confused:

Yes, thank you for clarifying that. It's those 3, plus MTRR S257T, and BHMT-01. Are those two also not tested by 23andME?

That is extremely irritating. I wonder if it's possible 23andME will add those SNPs later as they continue to improve their product, and if so, will they be able to update the results of those of us who have already taken the test without us having to retake it. (if they saved our samples). I don't expect you to know that, I'm just sort of wondering/hoping out loud.

Allyson

Yes, thank you for clarifying that. It's those 3, plus MTRR S257T, and BHMT-01. Are those two also not tested by 23andME?

That is extremely irritating. I wonder if it's possible 23andME will add those SNPs later as they continue to improve their product, and if so, will they be able to update the results of those of us who have already taken the test without us having to retake it. (if they saved our samples). I don't expect you to know that, I'm just sort of wondering/hoping out loud.

Hi Patrick, can you tell me where you learned this much about genetic testign please ... I am very interested due tothe EDS connection thanks

cheers,
Ally

( for more on that EDS/TD topic see this thread -
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/is-me-due-to-ehelrs-danlos-syndrome-stretchy-veins.20351/#post-310872)

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Hi Patrick, can you tell me where you learned this much about genetic testign please ... I am very interested due tothe EDS connection thanks

cheers,
Ally

( for more on that EDS/TD topic see this thread -
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/is-me-due-to-ehelrs-danlos-syndrome-stretchy-veins.20351/#post-310872)

Hi Allyson,

Whatever I learned about genetic testing, I learned from these PR forums...particularly this forum and the Methylation/Detox forum. I'm just beginning to delve into other sources, books, etc. Frankly, I'm one of the least knowledgeable people here about genetic testing & nutragenomics & epigenetics, (but I'm slowly learning.) There are a lot of posters here who could probably teach a course on this topic. Off the top of my head, greenshots comes to mind as pretty knowledgeable, but there are many others as well.

The 23andME testing is very easy to do. You just sign up online, they send a vial to spit in, you spit and send it back. I confirmed you can do it from Australia. 6-8 weeks later, you get the results. The cost is $99.

BUT, I have no idea if 23andMe tests for a gene mutation (an SNP) for EDS. I would think you'd want to find out the answer to that question before spending the money on 23andMe. I don't know anything about EDS, but I would think there's a good chance the gene is not tested (if it has even been identified.)

If 23andMe doesn't test for an EDS gene, it's possible another genetic testing lab might. You'd have to search the internet for that. I wish I knew how you could find out if EDS genes are tested by 23andMe. Maybe you could post a thread here with that question, or you could try contacting 23andMe through their website?

Best of luck.

LaurieL

Your welcome and the answer to your question is yes.

Allyson, I don't know if 23andme tests for EDS, but you could go to SNpedia and find the mutations associated with EDS and then type in the rs numbers in 23andme and see what you can find that way. I might have some extra time later this afternoon, and will take a look see on both and see what info I can find.

Curious, and curiouser.....

Lauriel

searcher

I am not sure if most of the SNPs for EDS are known. I suspect they may test gene expression when do you do genetic testing for EDS since there may be a lot of different mutations that can lead to the same symptoms.

23andme tests for maybe a million SNPs. Occasionally you may not see the results for a SNP that they test for, but in the vast majority of the cases 23andme isn't testing for a specific SNP because a) there wasn't much research indicating that the SNP is significant when they created the chip or b) it is difficult to do a reliable test on due to its position on a chromosome. They update their chip every few years (as far as I can tell) so they may do an update where you could get more information since they keep your spit. yum.

LaurieL

Allyson,

There are many rs numbers on snpedia for ehlers danlos syndrome. There are so many, that it would be too big of an undertaking for me to plug in each one at 23andme. Go check it out. I will look at a few of them too. There were about 2 and 1/2 pages. Most are "not found" at 23andme, although there is one carrier SNP, rs28937869 and several CBS mutations being investigated for associations with EDS. The CBS mutations being rs1801181, rs2298758, and rs234706. Again, none of these would be determinate. and the CBS associations are under investigation.

Lauriel

Allyson

Hi Allyson,

Whatever I learned about genetic testing, I learned from these PR forums...particularly this forum and the Methylation/Detox forum. I'm just beginning to delve into other sources, books, etc. Frankly, I'm one of the least knowledgeable people here about genetic testing & nutragenomics & epigenetics, (but I'm slowly learning.) There are a lot of posters here who could probably teach a course on this topic. Off the top of my head, greenshots comes to mind as pretty knowledgeable, but there are many others as well.

The 23andME testing is very easy to do. You just sign up online, they send a vial to spit in, you spit and send it back. I confirmed you can do it from Australia. 6-8 weeks later, you get the results. The cost is $99.

Best of luck.

Thank ideed Patrick or that - looks like it is early days yet; yet i think genetic testing will be the only real way to deterine if a ME and EDS re the same thing. I am oboked in to see a medical geneticist here at a public hopsital and she is ery knowledgeable about EDS too so that should be fruitful; i just wanted to learn as much as i can about it before I go so I can understand and discuss intelligently.
BTW I have had a moderator kindly correct my spelling of Ehlers-Danlos in the title so the thread has now changed to this for anyone interested; there is some small mention of genes ther too at about the page 16 mark or after that ...

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/is-me-due-to-ehlers-danlos-syndrome-stretchy-veins.20351/#post-310872

cheers and thanks,
Ally

Allyson

Allyson,

There are many rs numbers on snpedia for ehlers danlos syndrome. There are so many, that it would be too big of an undertaking for me to plug in each one at 23andme. Go check it out. I will look at a few of them too. There were about 2 and 1/2 pages. Most are "not found" at 23andme, although there is one carrier SNP, rs28937869 and several CBS mutations being investigated for associations with EDS. The CBS mutations being rs1801181, rs2298758, and rs234706. Again, none of these would be determinate. and the CBS associations are under investigation.

Lauriel
Thanks for that Lauriel; I think merylg kindly posted a couple of the known EDS genes in the EDS thread -- below- but I gather not all have been determined yet.
thanks for the input I will follow for more info

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/is-me-due-to-ehlers-danlos-syndrome-stretchy-veins.20351/#post-310872

cheers,
Ally