• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AOR mB12 15mg

Should have said.... it is made by AOR. I am taking the Jarrow Formula, 5mg at present, but can't buy that here in Canada. the AOR brand i can get in Canada, but want to know if it is any good first.

L'engle

moogle
I have used the AOR for over a year. I think it's a good one, based on my experience. The enzymatic therapy is likely the best but isn't. Available in large amounts. I need at least 20mg to get any improvement in cognitive function. One thing many of us are noticing is that we need to switch between brands in order to keep getting a benefit. The AOR worked great for a few months but then seemed to lessen in effectiveness. I went off it for 2 weeks and now restarting it seems to be effective again. I don''t know of another good brand we can get in Canada wirhout ordering from the States.

$38 is a good price. I pay $43 at a store. What is the shipping charge from that site?

Sparrow

AOR has an excellent reputation, and is well trusted by the professionals I've seen. They seem to be very trustworthy, and up-to-date with their science.

I use a lot of their products, including the methyl and hydroxy B12 sublinguals. It's always tough to say with 100% certainty how well something is or isn't working, but I've been quite happy with them. For a while I went down to the Jarrow brand and noticed a definite drop in functioning (which couldn't have been placebo since my husband switched the pills without my knowledge when I ran out and I was too oblivious to really notice). So I'm happy with my AOR.

Freddd

There have been a lot of favorable mentions of AOR. What is needed is some serious A-B testing despite the ENZY not being avaialble easily in quantity. If half a dozen people, sensitive to the differences could do a couple of planned A-B comparisons, and then A-B each pair of brands, it would produce some good info. Another candidate is the Kirkland methylcobalamin 5mg x 300 tablets for $19 at Costco and $25 at Amazon. Another is Medicine Shoppe housebrand MeCbl, 1000mcg and other sizes if available. We, and I mean A LOT OF US, need these trials. We need fallbacks and alternates on brands so we don't get clobbered by things like the Jarrow change. I found the Jarrow originally because the ENZT went out of stock everywhere for several months after the first time I named it as truely superior. I had a month of relapse before identifying it. I ordered 10 brands all at once. During that first year I had best results taking 2-4 brands at the same time and identifying the best combinations.

I have used the AOR for over a year. I think it's a good one, based on my experience. The enzymatic therapy is likely the best but isn't. Available in large amounts. I need at least 20mg to get any improvement in cognitive function. One thing many of us are noticing is that we need to switch between brands in order to keep getting a benefit. The AOR worked great for a few months but then seemed to lessen in effectiveness. I went off it for 2 weeks and now restarting it seems to be effective again. I don''t know of another good brand we can get in Canada wirhout ordering from the States.

$38 is a good price. I pay $43 at a store. What is the shipping charge from that site?
$5.95....... free shipping on orders over $75
I think I will give it a go. I really want to be able to buy in Canada.

Freddd

Hi Branston,
Changing off the Jarrow MeCbl will likely help. I'm very sorry to say that something changed in the Jarrow MeCbl and it just isn't very good any more.

Phred

Branston you'll definitely notice a difference between Jarrow and AOR. I never got to use the good Jarrow only the newer stuff. I had high hopes for the AOR, but from my experience it was not as effective as the ENZY. I was up to 8mg of ENZY a day and then did a side by side comparison to AOR. When I switched to the 15mg AOR I only noticed a slight difference. I was hoping to get up to 12mg of ENZY to really compare, but Christmas time was bad and I had to cut back on everything. If I can titrate back up to 8 or 10mg of ENZY I'll definitely compare that to the AOR I still have here.

AOR has an excellent reputation, and is well trusted by the professionals I've seen. They seem to be very trustworthy, and up-to-date with their science.

I use a lot of their products, including the methyl and hydroxy B12 sublinguals. It's always tough to say with 100% certainty how well something is or isn't working, but I've been quite happy with them. For a while I went down to the Jarrow brand and noticed a definite drop in functioning (which couldn't have been placebo since my husband switched the pills without my knowledge when I ran out and I was too oblivious to really notice). So I'm happy with my AOR.
Sparrow.... do you have a doctor in Ontario who is helping you with all this, or are you going it alone? I am in Montreal at present, but hoping to move to Ontario soon.

Freddd

Hi Sparrow,

AOR has an excellent reputation, and is well trusted by the professionals I've seen

Yes they do. Unfortunately they have no way of telling a 0-3 star MeCbl from a 5 star Mecbl. I buy and test by trial all sorts of things. I have found nothing at all predicts which brand is going to be 5 star at any given time. There is a risk that each time they buy a kilo or 100 kilos of MeCbl crystal it won't be the good stuff. Working directly with crystal for the injectable I have run similar trials with up to 5 different batches at a time. About 1 batch in 10 or so (of the ones not ruined by light expsoure) is 5 star.

I have heard decent reports on it but none that include the deep CNS healing I need. It doesn't have the "blast your socks off" response, or at least none I have heard, that I have found indicates a 5 star MeCbl. I'll try it soon. It's my next one up after the Kirkland.

Lotus97

I'm just curious. How much methylfolate do you take?

L'engle

moogle
I'm just curious. How much methylfolate do you take?

I probably don't take enough. 800-1600mg per day. I've taken up to 16 of the 800mg tablets in a day but couldn't get a clear sense if it was different. A methylfolaate without additives would be easier to test in high amounts. There is too much that can make a lot of us queasy in the metafolin by solgar.

Lotus97

I probably don't take enough. 800-1600mg per day. I've taken up to 16 of the 800mg tablets in a day but couldn't get a clear sense if it was different. A methylfolaate without additives would be easier to test in high amounts. There is too much that can make a lot of us queasy in the metafolin by solgar.
I see. Because if you raised your dose of methylfolate you might not need as much B12. Metabolic Maintenance has a 10 mg capsule without any additives. They actually have two 10 mg methylfolate products. Their one with Quatrefolic methylfolate is actually $20 more than their other methylfolate, but it's supposed to be more potent.

Are you also taking other methyl donors such choline, P5P, R5P, TMG, and SAMe? You might still need 20 mg of methylcobalamin. I don't know. I'm just trying to get a sense of what everyone is taking. Some people can only tolerate a very small amount of methylation supplements while others seem to need more

Lotus97

Thanks, Lotus, I will look into increasing the folate.
You might want to take a look at Freddd's protocol and discuss the dosages with him. Most people need far less than 10 mg of methylfolate, but since you said you took 12800 mcg of methylfolate without any effect you might need more. Also, adding more methyl donors such as the ones in Freddd's protocol would also help get things going. If you add all those you might not need so much B12 or even methylfolate, but maybe you're one of the few who do. Also, make sure you don't take vitamin C with methylfolate because that will block the absorption. And also make sure you're supplementing with potassium and be prepared to lower the dosages of your supplements because as I said the combination of the different supplements will have a synergistic effect. Sometimes it also takes a few days or longer before you get an effect from the supplements so even if it doesn't seem like it's not working at first be patient before you raise the dose. There are other brands that I think have methylfolate without additives in lower doses, but if you do get the 10 mg you might still want to consider taking only part of a capsule at first.

L'engle

moogle
Thanks Lotus, I've actually been working through this protocol for nearly two years and have made a good exploration of co-factors. The folate is one that left me never sure of how much I actually needed. I think that is one of the things we are all trying to figure out. I only mentioned my folate because you asked and seemed to be canvassing around for information.

Freddd, the list of symptoms for folate deficiency has never seemed to line up too much with my symptoms, but finding the amount of folate that best supports the overall healing is one thing I never did straighten out. It didn't feel noticably different with larger amounts as the MeB12 did. At the 12800mg amount I felt sort of sick from it so I backed down to 800mg again.

Freddd

Thanks Lotus, I've actually been working through this protocol for nearly two years and have made a good exploration of co-factors. The folate is one that left me never sure of how much I actually needed. I think that is one of the things we are all trying to figure out. I only mentioned my folate because you asked and seemed to be canvassing around for information.

Freddd, the list of symptoms for folate deficiency has never seemed to line up too much with my symptoms, but finding the amount of folate that best supports the overall healing is one thing I never did straighten out. It didn't feel noticably different with larger amounts as the MeB12 did. At the 12800mg amount I felt sort of sick from it so I backed down to 800mg again.

Hi L'engle,

So now another question that needs to be asked, how about AdoCbl? What about LCF? Let's work through this. Your next most limiting factor needs to be found. Or have you found it? Of course here is the deal, since the one thing has started, everything else could be shifted. So AdoCbl needs to be tried at normal and at CNS levels. The LCF. Not everybody developes floate insufficiency. They just seem over-represented hin the CFS/FMS population. If you don't have symptoms of it, likely not a problem. Or who knows. Anyway, on to the next step to as you continue. I'm going to be posting some symptom-nutrient matchups. It might help be a clue.

Lotus97

I thought you took 12800 without any symptoms. 10 mg could be too much then because the effects can build up so you might feel fine for a few days, but then start feeling worse. 5mg might even be too much. I don't know. Were you only referring to the mannitol in the metafolin when you mentioned additives? There are brands that make methylfolate in 1mg and 5 mg capsules, but they have stuff like Microcrystalline cellulose, hypromellose.
http://www.iherb.com/5-MTHF-Folate-5-Methyl-Tetrahydrofolate
Swanson also has a B complex with Quatrefolic methylfolate. It does have microcrystalline cellulose (plant fiber), magnesium stearate, silica.though. If these additives don't bother you then this would actually be the most cost effective choice since you're also getting B vitamins.
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-activated-b-complex-high-bioavailability-60-caps
Are you still taking all the cofactors? You might need to have everything in place and take them all at the same time for a period of time (including possibly a higher dose of methylfolate) before you notice an effect. But I don't know. Maybe you won't get any more out of methylation.

xjhuez

Since this thread seems to have transitioned into methylfolate, I'll ask this here - Is there a recommended straight-up mfolate? I get cofactors elsewhere and the Solgar Metafolin brand is out because I can't stomach mannitol. I see things like Metabolic Maintenance 5-MTHF on iherb but that doesn't explicitly state L-Methyfolate. I read that the "6R", "D" and other forms were inferior or not active.