• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intolerance to antioxidants

Hi guys,

I've been reading many posts here, and since I've been in 24 doctors in one year, and no one helped me i decided to help myself and start trying some of the supplements that most of you are taking.

Some of them have been very good to me like:

Magnesium 650 mg / Zinc 50 mg / Biotin 5000 mcg / Vitamin D 2000 UI / Cat's claw 500 mg / Omega 3 6 9 1000 mg
Fiber and Probiotics

Then I was reading wonders about CQ10 and i thought that it would be great to take it. One sunday I took for the first time 50 mg of CQ10 along with the others supplements. About 15 minutes later i started sweating, very dizzy, nauseas, and very low blood presure. I went to the bathroom, had diarrhea and vomit everything. Then I felt asleep for four hours, and woke up very weak. The next day i felt ok but, of course, i didn't take CQ10 anymore.

Some months went by and then i decided to try resveratrol, which is a powerful antioxidant that comes from grapes. I took it for two weeks in the night. During those weeks i didn't feel ok, and then i got my period and had a huge relapse. I spent four days in bed, with so much pain, and in desperation. Then i stopped resveratrol, and within three days i started to feel better.

Anyway, apparently my body doesn't tolerate the antioxidants. I wonder if i keep taking CQ10 despite the awful side effect that i get, if those side effects will be gone in some days or what?

I asked my psychiatrist, she's very aware of all the supplement that i take, and she told me to take a gastric protector before taking CQ10 because she says it may produce epigastristis or something like that. But now I'm afraid to give it another shot.

Please, tell me what you think thanks in advanced.

You could also be reacting to the fillers in the supplements. For me I can't take anything with added starch, corn, flours etc.. Have you looked into Lyme disease? Resveratrol is a powerful anti-microbial and you could be having Herx reactions to it. You can have a herx after killing off any pathogen - including yeast.

You could also be reacting to the fillers in the supplements. For me I can't take anything with added starch, corn, flours etc.. Have you looked into Lyme disease? Resveratrol is a powerful anti-microbial and you could be having Herx reactions to it. You can have a herx after killing off any pathogen - including yeast.

I don't think it's the fillers since i carefully check the ingredients and make sure that it doesn't contain starches or allergens. So, it probably was the CQ10 itself.

About Lyme, yes, actually i have many of Lyme symptoms, even though they are not exclusive to that disease. But i got this pathogen, whatever it is, by a sexual encounter so, i don't think that lyme can be transmitted that way. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you :)

I don't think it's the fillers since i carefully check the ingredients and make sure that it doesn't contain starches or allergens. So, it probably was the CQ10 itself.

About Lyme, yes, actually i have many of Lyme symptoms, even though they are not exclusive to that disease. But i got this pathogen, whatever it is, by a sexual encounter so, i don't think that lyme can be transmitted that way. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you :)

With Co-Q10 90% of the companies use Tocopherols or soy lecithin as filler - if it says lecithin then it is soy - you could have an allergy to soy. I only use a brand with no fats but you need fat in order to absorb it so you need to take it with a meal that contains fat. Yes there have been cases of sexually transmitted Lyme but it is not confirmed.

With Co-Q10 90% of the companies use Tocopherols or soy lecithin as filler - if it says lecithin then it is soy - you could have an allergy to soy. I only use a brand with no fats but you need fat in order to absorb it so you need to take it with a meal that contains fat. Yes there have been cases of sexually transmitted Lyme but it is not confirmed.

OMG Flutter, i just checked the product again and you are right. Besides CQ10 it's got rice starch, purified water, glicerin, soy lecithin, gelatin, bee serum and titanium dioxid.

Maybe i should try one without the soy, do you know any brands? I can get it in amazon?

Thank you!

OMG Flutter, i just checked the product again and you are right. Besides CQ10 it's got rice starch, purified water, glicerin, soy lecithin, gelatin, bee serum and titanium dioxid.

Maybe i should try one without the soy, do you know any brands? I can get it in amazon?

Thank you!

Wow - Bee serum! That can be highly allergenic but can also be a potent anti-microbial - causing a "die off" reaction. I don't know if brand names are allowed but I use SISU brand - only because of the lack of fillers - but because there is no fat in the ingredients you have to take it with a meal containing fat - or a tsp of coconut oil.

I'll try to find it, thank you very much Flutter! I usually take the supplements with my breakfast and that includes a little bit of butter. So, that could be the fat i need. I'll give it another shot if i can find the brand you mentioned.

drex13

You could use Q-Gel, CoQ10. It is a water soluble form, therefore not requiring fats to be absorbed.

You could use Q-Gel, CoQ10. It is a water soluble form, therefore not requiring fats to be absorbed.

Q-Gel also has Vitamin E as an ingredient - which is a fat to enhance the absorption. Vitamin E is also typically derived from Soy

I too have complete intolerance to any antioxidants - coffee, cocoa, Vit C, Vit A, bioflavonoids, sulforaphane, astaxanthin, lactoferrin(not an antioxidant but feel the same as when taking the others).

Think its an iron or CYP450 issue but can't really pinpoint anything, iron tests are normal - hemoglobin, serum iron, UIBC, TIBC all in the middle of the range, ferritin - 80, ceruloplasmin is somewhat low at 24.

What can it be? Endoplasmic reticulum disfunction?
How can one test for CYP450 activity?

Last edited:

Busson

Anyway, apparently my body doesn't tolerate the antioxidants. I wonder if i keep taking CQ10 despite the awful side effect that i get, if those side effects will be gone in some days or what?

I used to get very strong negative reactions to supplements which most people found beneficial (such as creatine) but I think that was because my body had got used to coping with deficiency and later getting all mixed up when the deficiency was fixed. CoQ10 gave me insomnia at first and a sense of being wired but in time this went away.

I have seen the term "refeeding syndrome" used to describe this although personally I think refeeding is something slightly different.