• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doctor Yasko result help

I received Doctor Yasko DNA result last week so need someone to help me like greenshorts or some expert in this field.
My result are given below:

COMT V158M +/- Hetero
COMT H62H +/- Hetero

COMT 61 -/- G

VDR ----Taq—tt--- C
VDR---- Fok ----FF ---C

MAO A R297R +/+ T
ACAT 1-02 +/- Hetero
MTHFR C677T -/- C
MTHFR 3 -/- C
MTHFR A1298C -/- A

MTR A2756G +/+ G
MTRR A66G +/+ G

MTRR H595Y -/- C
MTRR K350A -/- A
MTRR R415T -/- C
MTRR S257T -/- T
MTRR 11 -/- G
BHMT 1 -/- A

BHMT 2 +/- Hetero
BHMT 4 +/- Hetero
BHMT 8 +/- Hetero
AHCY 1 +/- Hetero
AHCY 2 +/- Hetero
AHCY 19 +/- Hetero
CBS C699T +/- Hetero
CBS A360A +/- Hetero

CBS N212N -/- C
SUOX S370S -/- No Support Needed
SHMT C1420T -/- G
NOS----- D298E----- -/- G

I did my Vitamin D serum test as well which is low 6 ng/ml. My serum uric acid is also higher side so wondering who can help me with this.
All the help will be appreciated and looking forward to the answers.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
IMHO there is nothing you need to do for the COMT +/-. That means you won the lottery. You are retaining enough dopamine and serotonin to spare BH4 and help the methylation cycle but not so much that it may cause you to become unstable. If you have mood problems you can take something like rhodiola, a further COMT inhibitor, but you needn't. My father was COMT +/- and MOA A +/+ like you and he was very smart and recognized internationally in his field.

You will of course need D 50,000/week for several months to get your D levels up, but after that you will have to reduce your dose and retest to see what your maintenance dose is. www.lef.org says to maintain your D levels at 70 and this works for me. If I supplement such that my D levels get to 100 I get UTI's because the urinary ph readily supports pathogens. LEF is concerned with optimal doses. Doctors just concerned with preventing disease generally say you need your D levels to be 50.

idk what to do for your ACHY and BHMT defects - I have two BHMT defects, one +/+, and the same 3 AHCY defects. I take 2g TMG/day and get my homocysteine normal (6.3) and I think that is the critical ingredient there, but not sure. My protocol is 2 Thorne Basic B (active B's), 2g TMG, 50mg P5P, 800 mcg mfolate, 50,000 D/week, 75mg DHEA, and I also eat an egg each and every day for the methionine. I also take zinc and copper to support methylation, although my doses are very specific to allergies and not generally applicable. I also take high dose antioxidants (as radical oxygen species adversely affects methylation) - 2g mineral ascorbates, 1g d-alpha-tocopherol. I also take cal-mag citrate 1:1 everyday and the magnesium there may figure in. The citrate helps prevent kidney stones.

SO on to CBS - yours is hetero so not so bad. I take DHEA 75mg for that - studies show testosterone made from that affects CBS. For me, my homocysteine is elevated even though I am CBS +/+. I do not know if it is because Yasko is wrong or because of the combo of defects that I have (which you also have as you have many BHMT and AHCY defects also). You should get a homocysteine test and asses. It runs about $60 and thus is inexpensive to get a real look at what your genes are doing to you. Testosterone lowers homocysteine via correcting CBS. If yours is ALREADY lower than 6.3 this will not help you and you have to invent your own solution. But do not believe what is said about your genes w/o lab testing because this is a new breaking field and we certainly have a lot of genetic defects which have not been studied in COMBINATION. Also a large percentage of CBS individuals are helped by P5P. You can try that. I take 50mg as it helps protect the kidneys. I have verified for my self that taking more than 50mg does nothing for me so may as well go cheap. Results may vary for you and nothing substitutes testing. Get your homocysteine to 6.3 and you are golden. Check articles about homocysteine at www.lef.org

Oh, also regarding CBS...you can figure out how to eat exactly 80g protein and then go for a serum ammonia test. If your ammonia is in range, no need to take charcoal or yucca. Just be sure not to eat an Atkins (HIGH protein diet). Unless you want to test for higher protein and be sure it will work for you. I am CBS +/+ and I can tolerate 80g protein/day which is all that we are really spposed to get nutritionally and it is no sweat staying within that. It is a far cry from a low protein diet. No hardship at all.

Good luck

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
You should look up each enzyme and find out what it uses as cofactors and substrates to make sure you are getting those things. The ENZYME database is at www.expasy.org but it is hard to find some of these enzymes...and some are not in that database. Easiest way is to search yahoo for the genes, for example "MTRR gene", click on the Wikipedia article, which to the right will list the EC number. If it has a listing for ENZYME, click that as it is easiest to read. Otherwise just click the EC number and it will probably throw you to the KEGG database. Wherever FAD or FMN are listed, that means it uses B2, wherever NAD, NADP, NADPH is listed, that is B3. You will also find zinc is listed for methionine synthase, serine for cystathionine beta synthase. Wiki is also usually a decent overview of the enzyme and gene.

UM MAN

triffid113, I gave you a LIKE for your response. I thought about it, and I felt compelled to
applaud you for such a complete, intelligent, and professional post, that has taught me much.
(and your new picture)

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Thank you. Not complete enough, however. I wanted to say that most people here need sublingual mB12. You may need that also. We used to use Jarrow mB12 but I am not sure what the Freddd protocol is using now instead. They are saying that if it is not sold in glass bottles it does not retain potency so they have switched to some other brand. You may need that. Whatever it takes to get to a homocysteine level of 6.3. Rich said that measuring homocysteine was not sufficient to guarantee proper methylation however it is cheap and available from any lab and you can be sure your methylation is NOT correct of your homocysteine is not. Once you get your homocysteine right you can further examine your methylation by getting a lab from SAMe but I don't know which lab runs that test (I get my labs from www.lef.org, www.directlabs.com, www.metametrix.com, www.meridianvalleylab.com, www.traceelements.com, and www.holisticheal.com, none of which carry that test.

Thank you for response triffid113 and I make notes and bookmark this page as well. I did Amino Acid test urine where it showed my serotonin level were low 0.22 as it should be less than 4.3.
Dopamine-----1.1----range 0.8 - 3.6
(nor epinephrine, epinephrine)-------0.88--------range 0.46 - 3.7
Thymine-----0.06-------less than 0.56
Methylmalonic--B12-------0.22---------less than 2.3
B6-----0.48---------less than 34
B5-------1-------less than 10
Vit C ----Low 0.64----------10 to 200

Glutathione Precursor and Chelating Agent
N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)--------0.02---------0.28

My body cannot break serotonin so which supplement has its bio available form of it or any spray? I am keeping my finger cross and thinking to overcome these fatigue and swelling issues.
cheers

drex13

I received Doctor Yasko DNA result last week so need someone to help me like greenshorts or some expert in this field.
My result are given below:

COMT V158M +/- Hetero
COMT H62H +/- Hetero

COMT 61 -/- G

VDR ----Taq—tt--- C
VDR---- Fok ----FF ---C

MAO A R297R +/+ T
ACAT 1-02 +/- Hetero
MTHFR C677T -/- C
MTHFR 3 -/- C
MTHFR A1298C -/- A

MTR A2756G +/+ G
MTRR A66G +/+ G

MTRR H595Y -/- C
MTRR K350A -/- A
MTRR R415T -/- C
MTRR S257T -/- T
MTRR 11 -/- G
BHMT 1 -/- A

BHMT 2 +/- Hetero
BHMT 4 +/- Hetero
BHMT 8 +/- Hetero
AHCY 1 +/- Hetero
AHCY 2 +/- Hetero
AHCY 19 +/- Hetero
CBS C699T +/- Hetero
CBS A360A +/- Hetero

CBS N212N -/- C
SUOX S370S -/- No Support Needed
SHMT C1420T -/- G
NOS----- D298E----- -/- G

I did my Vitamin D serum test as well which is low 6 ng/ml. My serum uric acid is also higher side so wondering who can help me with this.
All the help will be appreciated and looking forward to the answers.

Your MTR/MTRR homozygotes also indicate an difficulty in generating/recycling B-12. However, your hetero COMT results may make methyl b-12 difficult to take, so hydroxy b-12 might be a better choice. I have similar SNP's in those areas, and I cannot tolerate methyl b-12. Check out these links to the genetic genie and heartfixer.com. Genetic Genie will have you upload your 23and me raw data and they now have a basic interpretation of your methylation results. Heartfixer has a pretty good explanation of methyl cycle defects and possible treatments.

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm
http://geneticgenie.org/

:thumbsup:thanks to triffid113:thumbsup:and drex13:angel:once again and on 27th Dec 2012 I did plasma tests for the following minerals as well.
Homocystine -------6.3---------ref 5 - 15 umol/l
Serum B 12---------717 ---------211-946
Folate ------16.8------(3 - 17)
Red cell Folic Acid-------710---------(520 - 2800)
iron-------54------(59 - 158 ug/dl)
Ferritin-----16------( 4 - 204)
TIBC-----438------(228 - 428)

My husband got liquid Cyano B12 from Germany which making my symptom worse now. Anyway I feel relief since posting my problem and sharing it in this form here.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Ninauae...you said your homocysteine is 6.5 and that's pretty close to being perfect, so your methyl cycle might actually be working and not your issue. To be sure you need to get SAMe tested. Here are several labs that do SAMe tests:
http://www.seekinghealth.com/methylation-profile-doctors-data.html
http://www.hdri-usa.com/tests/methylation/

I would ask you what you do that that is methylation oriented? I mean what multi or B complex do you take? I think if I had such a good homocysteine I would not take a lot of methylation supplements...but I can't imagine not taking a good B complex (like Thorne Basic B) or one of their multis with active B's, because I think the average American diet is devoid of vitamins and leads most Americans at some point in time to methylation issues. I get my vitamins from iherb. Here are potential vitamins for you, but please note you can select a Thorne multi with/without copper, iodine, iron, depending on what you need. http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Basic-B-Complex-60-Veggie-Caps/18791
http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Basic-Nutrients-IV-with-Copper-and-Iron-180-Veggie-Caps/18137
(if you do use them, my coupon number is KUQ215). For the brands I buy this website saves me money...if you buy over $40 at a time, shipping is free, and there are discounts depending on total bill. (end of advertisement)
So then we turn to methyls...do you eat eggs routinely? Onion/garlic/broccoli? Or would you consider taking 1g TMG: this is what I take: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-TMG-Trimethylglycine-1-000-mg-100-Tablets/3344. It looks like you don't need much as your homocysteine is fine. I would say you don't need any, but depending on how much betaine you get in your diet everyone needs some. (I am suspicious as I can't believe anyone's diet is good enough). You can check for how much betaine you get from your standard diet here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/. So unless you have more evidence of a problem via an actual SAMe test, I would say just take a B complex and potentially a betaine (TMG) supplement. Why mess with what works...but a LITTLE insurance IMHO is a good thing. (No need for additional anything that is in the active B supplement, (no additional mB12/hB12, P5P, mfolate), but since TMG is not in there, some TMG would be a possibility...maybe you could do with a lower dose, but the above is the supplement I take - 2 pills, no need for that many for you...).

Back to your stated symptoms: you are very low in Vitamin D. And I was remiss above in not mentioning vitamin K because everyone pretty much needs it to absorb calcium into their bones (or else it goes to your arteries). If you are oriental and eat that special cheese - natto - then you don't need K. So here is what I take for D, Cal-Mag, and K:
http://www.iherb.com/Superior-Source-D3-Extra-Strength-MicroLingual-10-000-IU-100-Tablets/26978 (5/week)
http://www.iherb.com/Nutricology-Calcium-Magnesium-Citrate-100-Veggie-Caps/17594
http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-Vitamin-K2-5-mg-60-Capsules/6116 (idk if this is the best K2, but Asklipia says MK4 is the best form and I wanted a goodly dose, so I picked this one. It seems ok. I'm still on the first bottle).

You say you have low iron, but how do you know? I want either lab test results or a clear description of symptoms (in which case I'll prolly suggest getting labs anyway). If your serum iron is not low, nor is your MCV high, but you still have symptoms of anemia (shortness of breath, things that should not seem heavy, do, etc) then I would suggest you get a ferritin lab. I was showing high normal iron and hemoglobin but low ferritin. How could that be??? Well best thing I could figure, and it seems to have done the trick, is that you need Vitamin A to ferry the iron around. I have a bit of a problem breaking down Vitamin A into its active form. I know this because I have a mild case of Keratosis pilaris. Someone on here recently told me that:
Zinc is needed to convert beta-carotene to retinal..
Well I have learned that allergies bring my zinc levels down. (I did not determine this by lab, but by how much zinc it takes to allow me to breathe when having an allergy attack). So now I take Vitamin A (instead of beta carotene) and my ferritin level has gone up. I can't prove if it's a coincidence, however I had been aware of the low ferritin issue for 3-4 years and had never gotton it up before.
Be aware that iron is an oxidant and should never be taken w/o labs demonstrating that you need it. Well if you are under 50...I used to take it w/o labs as I was EXTREMELY low. But over 50 I would not suggest doing so w/o labs.
If you feel cold all the time, you need to check your thyroid: http://www.lef.org/protocols/appendix/blood_testing_02.htm?source=search&key=tsh reference range
please note that the lab reference ranges are not based on science, whereas Life Extension comes up with reference ranges based on science. So you want TSH <2.0. If your TSH is 2.0 or greater, then it becomes a question of what is missing: zinc, tyrosine, iodine, selenium, copper, mB12, or something else? If you have allergies it might be zinc. But iodine is a heavy hitter...how often do you eat fish? Also selenium is in high demand by the thyroid. A multivitamin might take care of all your needs in this regard, or it might not if you have bad allergies. So you need to give more info.
If your SAMe really is fine then no need for DHEA. Depending on your age, DHEA may have other benefits but no real need as far as CBS. The other real need might be if diabetes runs in your family. With no MTHFR 1298 defect I think the BH4 issue may be ok.
If your daughter has eyesight and acne problems they can both be related to low zinc. Or something else. They say acne can be related to low A, but I have never seen that in me. I breakout when my zinc is low and take that as a sign to take more. But...I can't swear it is the same for others. A nutritionist put my on to zinc for acne a long time ago. She was advising 50mg. Have a think about what your child's zinc needs are...if s/he is growing, s/he will need to make skin and that takes zinc (and is the reason I believe young boys get acne in their growing years). Allergies require the repair of damaged skin. A low protein diet (teen girls are always dieting) is a low zinc diet and should be supplemented. You don't want to overdo it...in most cases except for short periods of time such as growth spurts and allergies, 15mg should b e enough. If you think you/s/he needs more on a daily basis, you prolly should test. And be aware that copper levels can fall if supplementing zinc. It is more common for young people to have plenty of copper, but as you get over 50, it is common to be low in copper.
IMHO all people should take high dose antioxidants, but certainly those with genetic defects. I would take a goodly dose of C and E. However I have to caution you that studies show taking > 500mg C can lead to stones. I have never had stones and I believe it may be because I take citrates (both my multi and cal/mag are citrate form) and citrate is shown to inhibit stones. I only take d-alpha tocopheral but gamma has been shown to be needed to prevent cancer. You should pick your own E. Vitamin C is acidic and will steal calcium from your bones so if you take high dose C it should be in buffered form (mineral ascorbates, Ester C). Here is the C I take: http://www.iherb.com/American-Health-Ester-C-with-Citrus-Bioflavonoids-1000-mg-90-Capsules/13673 You can get it cheaper if you are willing to take it as tablets. Oh they are now saying herein that Vitamin C impedes absorption of mfolate, but that Ester-C doesn't.
I am not a doctor nor do I have the exact same genes that you do. I can not tell you how to be healthy, but only can give you some ideas of tests to look at and facts that might be relevant, but you have to pay attention and sift through to find out what is right for you.
I particularly have little clue about the MAO B gene to offer you. I am hetero for that and it does not seem to be a big issue.

If you are low potassium find high potassium foods to eat, such as orange juice: http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/nutrient-search
BEWARE: Also be aware of methylation supplements which can lower potassium further. How do you know you are low potassium? You need to search out the low potassium topics at phoenixrising, be SURE you recognise the symptoms, and be SURE you know how to raise potassium before taking any methylation supplements.

Freddd

Thank you. Not complete enough, however. I wanted to say that most people here need sublingual mB12. You may need that also. We used to use Jarrow mB12 but I am not sure what the Freddd protocol is using now instead. They are saying that if it is not sold in glass bottles it does not retain potency so they have switched to some other brand. You may need that. Whatever it takes to get to a homocysteine level of 6.3. Rich said that measuring homocysteine was not sufficient to guarantee proper methylation however it is cheap and available from any lab and you can be sure your methylation is NOT correct of your homocysteine is not. Once you get your homocysteine right you can further examine your methylation by getting a lab from SAMe but I don't know which lab runs that test (I get my labs from www.lef.org, www.directlabs.com, www.metametrix.com, www.meridianvalleylab.com, www.traceelements.com, and www.holisticheal.com, none of which carry that test.

Hi Triffid,

The only brand of MeCbl is Enzymatic Therapy B12 Infusion that I find sufficient for possible CNS and body healing. The Jarrow went bad more than a year ago.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Thanks, Freddd. I personally was able to hit Hcy 6.3 w/o it, but since then I've gone back up to 9.0 and not sure yet why...could be low zinc (cofactor of methionine synthase) due to allergy season or could just be that I need more mB12 than my active B complex gives me (but not as often as an everyday sublingual). People here seem to think 9 is ok, but it degrades your endothelial tissues and I have enough problem with that due to 3 genes for hypertension, so I am motivated to get it right. So I may be trying the new brand of mB12 soon. Take care,

Triff

P.S. Can you help the person on this thread? I am uncomfortable making more than clues and suggestions.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Ninauae...if you want more help here, Freddd is an excellent source of info. But for him you need to state your symptoms because he knows what to do for symptoms, not genes.

Your MTR/MTRR homozygotes also indicate an difficulty in generating/recycling B-12. However, your hetero COMT results may make methyl b-12 difficult to take, so hydroxy b-12 might be a better choice. I have similar SNP's in those areas, and I cannot tolerate methyl b-12. Check out these links to the genetic genie and heartfixer.com. Genetic Genie will have you upload your 23and me raw data and they now have a basic interpretation of your methylation results. Heartfixer has a pretty good explanation of methyl cycle defects and possible treatments.

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm
http://geneticgenie.org/
drex13, can you explain further what you mean by " I cannot tolerate mB12 ", please ? What happens when you take it ?

Hi Triffid,
You rocked once again and thank you for your detail response and taking concern to point all my questions and replying back. I did 24 hour urine test for minerals in mid 2012 where it revealed my calcium was low since I am not taking any calcium or mineral supplement from ages.

I did the following test on 27th dec 2012 and below are the results:
Vitamins and Minerals
27 dec 2012
1. Folate - plasma ----16.8 ( 3 – 17) ng/ml
2. Red Cell - folic ----710 (520 -2800) nmol/l
3. B 12 ---717 ( 211 – 946) pg/ml
4. Homocystine 6.3 ( 5 – 15) umol/l
5. iron 54--------- (59 – 158)
6. Ferritin 16Low ( 4 – 204)ng/ml
7. TIBC 438 ------(228 – 428)ug/dl
8. Copper 116 -------(80 – 160) ug/dl
9. Ceruloplasmin 28 Low (22 – 61)
10. Zinc 91------- ( 70 – 114) ug/dl
11. Vit D (25 OH) 6,5 Low --------( 20 – 30) ng/ml
12. PTH 60.9 H------ ( 10 – 69)pg/ml

Allergy and immune
1. IgA -quantitative 192 ----(70 – 400)mg/dl
2. IgE total 108 H ( up to 100)iu/ml

CBC
Hemoglobin (Hb) 12.2 -------( 11.1- 14.5)g/dl
Total RBC 4.4 ( 3.9 – 5.5) x10^12/l
Hct 38------ (35 – 42) %
MCV 86 (75 – 95) fl
MCH 8 ( 26 -32)pg
MCHC 32----- (32 – 36) g/dl
Platelet count 282-------- ( 150 – 400) x10^9/l
WBC 7.3 (4 – 11)
Neutrophils 63 (40 – 75)%
Lymphocytes 30 (20 – 45) %
Monocytes 3 (2 -10)
Eosinophils 4 ------( 1 – 6)

Adrenal
Cortisol (A.m) 372-------- (171 – 536)nmol/L
Aldosterone 41.5-------- ( 30 – 400) pg/ml
Cholesterol ----185 ( up to 200)

Thyroid
T3 total ---145 (84 – 204) ng/ml
T4 total 124 (66 – 181) nmol/l
TSH 2.4 ( 0.27 – 4.2) mlU/L
Anti - TPO ----( less than 20) IU/ml negative

Pituitary
1. ACTH ------11.2 ---( 7.2 – 63) pg/ml

2. ACE ----34 (8 – 65) u/l
3. IGF-1 --------119 (22 – 197)ug/l
Liver & Kidney
Billirubin 0.3------ ( up to 1.2) mg/dl
Billirubin Conjugated 0.1-------- ( up to 0.3)
S.G.P.T (A.L.T)--- 21 -----(up to 33) U/L
S.G.O.T ( A.S.T)---25 ------(up to 32)
Alkaline Phosphate 70------------ (35-104)
Gamma G.T 11------- (5-36)
Total Protein 7.2---------- (6.6 – 8.7) G/dl
Albumin4.5------- (3.5 – 5)
Globulins-------2.7------- (2.2 – 3.5)
A/G ratio ------1.7 (1.2 – 2.2)
Urea----------24 (10 – 50) mg/dl
Creatinine - Serum------0.6 (0.5 0.9)
Uric Acid-----------5.8 H (2.4 – 5.7)

Auto immune
1. ANA---------0.50-----upto1.00-----Negative
2. AMA
(anti Mitochondrial antibody)
0.49------------upto1.000---------Negative
3. A.S.M.A) (Anti Smooth Muscle Abs)
0.56--------1.000--------Negative

If you have time review these results and I am very happy from your above post response suggestions. I am planning to go for the test methylation panel from Health Diagnostic lab in near future. My spirometry result says I have asthma for the first time which is at the borderline.
My main symptoms are I hyperventilate and did VBG which revealed low intracellular oxygen. I have sweaty hands when symptoms start so waiting for my rythum plus test result from Genova Lab for all female hormones saliva.

Once again really appreciate your detail response and have a nice day.
take care

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Ninauae, regarding acne:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2133.1977.tb06138.x/abstract

Serum zinc and retinol-binding protein in acne

The serum levels of zinc and retinol-binding protein (RBP) have been determined in 173 patients with acne and compared with those of a control group. The RBP is a specific transport protein and its level in plasma reflects the amount of vitamin A available to the tissues. Patients with severe acne were found to have lower levels of RBP than either patients with mild acne or healthy subjects ofthe same age. In the case of males with severe acne, the mean serum zinc level was significantly lower than that of the control group. No such difference was observed for girls. The observed condition of low levels of zinc and vitamin A in the serum of patients with severe acne may provide a rationale for the clinically good effect of oral zinc treatment.

But note that retinol levels depend on zinc levels (zinc is what is deficient): http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search/display.do?f=1986/US/US86138.xml;US8608667

As I said above, the way to reason this out is that in kids who are undergoing a growth spurt, their bodies need to make a lot of new skin, and it takes a lot of zinc to make skin. It is easy to become zinc deficient at that time.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Hi, I just saw your results. It will take me awhile to comment. I don't know the import of all those lab results, but only of some of them. I wanted to quickly point you to this website for uric acid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid
In particular: Causes of high uric acid
  • In many instances, people have elevated uric acid levels for hereditary reasons.
  • Serum uric acid can be elevated due to reduced excretion by the kidneys.[23]
  • Fasting or rapid weight loss can temporarily elevate uric acid levels.
In particular note the FRUCTOSE. I, for instance, as a VEGETARIAN, had an instance of gout, and found it could be caused by high fructose corn syrup, which I discovered is in ketcup, which I used to slather on a potato (so there was more ketcup than potato) during PMS. SInce I stopped eating high fructose corn syrup, no more incidence of gout. And look here:

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/16815490
Fructose-enriched diet modifies antioxidant status and lipid metabolism in spontaneously hypertensive rats.
OBJECTIVE: High-fructose consumption in industrial countries has been shown to induce metabolic abnormalities or syndrome X. Changes in antioxidant defense are unknown in hypertension associated with metabolic disorders induced by high-fructose feeding.

METHODS: Twenty spontaneously hypertensive rats were assigned to one of two groups; one received a fructose-enriched diet (60% fructose) and the other a starch diet. After a 13-wk diet period, total antioxidant status was assessed in the blood and liver by monitoring the rate of free radical-induced red blood cell hemolysis.Antioxidants (enzymes and vitamins) were determined in blood and liver. Gene expression of antioxidant enzymes (copper/zinc superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase) were also investigated in hepatic tissue. RESULTS: Fructose-fed rats showed blood pressure values similar to that of control rats but had increased glycemia and insulinemia. The antioxidant capacity in the blood of the fructose-fed group represented by copper/zinc superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase activities and ascorbic acid was lower. However, the fructose diet enhanced the total antioxidant capacity of liver correlated with increased antioxidant enzyme activities and retinol concentrations. Gutathione peroxidase mRNA expression was decreased in livers of spontaneously hypertensive rats fed the fructose diet. CONCLUSION: Fructose feeding negatively affects antioxidant capacity in the blood of hypertensive rats but improves this capacity in the liver.

---
As you see above, fructose increases glycemia and insulemia. High uric acid is linked to metabolic syndrome and diabetes. tart cherries work for gout

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I also want to say you clearly need some iron but prolly the amount in a multivitamin is sufficient.

As to zinc, idk how well serum zinc tests reflect actual zinc levels. I would say that while you have an ongoing allergy (you have allergy seasons, right?) that you need more zinc than you are getting. However you do not need massive amounts as your TSH is not too bad. I just had mine done and it was 3.2 after taking 75mg of zinc/day for months. And my symptoms were greatly improved because of 40 degree weather (less cold, dry air) so it was worse in the middle of the season. You could try the 15mg zinc in a multi and see if you need more. As long as you are sure you are getting everything else the thyroid needs (such as via a multi) then an improvement in zinc status should improve thyroid status. I am assuming if you had thyroid nodules or something your readings would be worse. I would expect that you need 15-50mg zinc during allergy season (based on your TSH reading...but maybe yours was taken off peak for your allergies too, so it could be you need more during the season). I find I need 15mg of zinc at all times of year and more (75-150mg) during allergy season. So you'll have to pay attention - watch TSH to get an idea.

You may want a hair analysis such as at : http://www.evenbetternow.com/proddetail.asp?prod=hair_tissue_analysis (which is a way to order your own www.traceelements.com hair analysis). I have wondered (don't kow) if the difference between allergic rhinitis and asthma is molybdenum status? You might want to check yours. Also on that biochemical path you need magnesium, which ties in with what I already recommended in a prior post.

I think the bulk of what you need is a good multi with active B's, some extra D,K, cal-mag, and potentially zinc, extra C & E to address inflammation and antioxidant capacity. (I say potentially zinc because you will get 15mg in a good multi and you should take the time to see how that works for you before investing in extra pills). I am listing the K because the Thorne multi contains K1 not K2 and it is K2 you need for preventing calcium from lining your arteries. DOn't take molybdenum unless you need it because it interferes with copper absorption.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
If you take extra zinc (more than in your multi) you should think about taking extra copper. If you are under 40, no copper needed. If you are 40-50, copper may be needed. If over 50 and female, copper is almost certainly needed. Males don't seem to get copper deficient as soon so I am guessing testosterone helps them absorb copper as estrogen helps us to do so. Thus, the older men are over 60, the more likely they will have some copper deficiency.

You do nt need to take a lot more copper if you have to take a lot more zinc. Zinc gets used up at a ferocious rate by airway allergies, but copper does not. So you could supplement copper in the range of 1-5mg/day maybe. Anyway here is a study showing 5mg of copper/day increases bone mass: http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=5154620 (please note that the study does not say that copper is taken separately from the other supplements so we have to assume (for safety) that the supplements were consumed together (which greatly impacts how much of the copper is actually absorbed).

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Also, look here...allergies use up zinc and low zinc lowers antioxidant capacity (this is why to focus on high antioxidant intake): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16187529

Indian J Exp Biol. 2005 Sep;43(9):786-94.
Short-term zinc deficiency in diet induces increased oxidative stress in testes and epididymis of rats.

Nair N, Bedwal S, Prasad S, Saini MR, Bedwal RS.
Cell Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur 302 004, India.
In order to determine the effects of Zinc deficient diet on oxidative stress in testis and epididymis, various parameters viz: total proteins, lipid peroxidation, hydroperoxides, antioxidant capacity and enzymatic activities are evaluated in rats fed on zinc deficient diet for 2, 4 and 6 weeks. Total proteins, water and lipid solouble antioxidant capacity decreased while lipid peroxidation (TBARS) and hydroperoxides concentration increased in testes, caput and cauda epididymis except in 2ZD (testes) where hydroperoxides revealed a significant decrease. GSH decreased in testes and caput and cauda epididymis. GPx and gamma-GT activities increased in testes and caput and cauda epididymis of zinc deficient rats. Further, GST increased in testes but exhibited decreases after 2 and 4 weeks and an increase after 6 weeks in caput and cauda epididymis of zinc deficient rats. GR activities decreased in testes but it increased in caput and cauda epididymis of zinc deficient rats. Thus, zinc deprivation results in increased sensitivity to oxidative stress. All these may have been as a consequence of increased ROS generation and/or decreased zinc dependent antioxidant processes.

--
p.s. there are many other antioxidants. I want to be sure to cover the BASICS (vitamins required for health), but after that you can explore adding other antioxidants like alpha-lipoic acid (which is a super generic antioxidant as it can neutralize free radicals in water OR fat soluble mediums). C can only work in water soluble mediums; E in fat-soluble mediums.

Also note here, low zinc lowers glutathione (GSH) so here is another cause of low GSH.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Here's a paper in which Dr. Jonathon Wright (great guy, he's the one who began giving women bioIDENTICAL hormone replacement, he is at Meridian Valley Labs, where I send away to for my hormone tests) treats asthma with a 95% success rate over time: http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-3-6.pdf

He uses IV. The supplements are characterized as molybdenum and magnesium. He actually uses quite a few nutrients:
Ascorbic acid 500 mg./ml
B-12 (hydroxycobalamine) 1000 mcg./ml .
B-6 (pyridoxine) 100 mg./ml
B-complex 100 mg./ml
Calcium gluconate 10% (100 mg./ml)
Magnesium sulfate 500 mg./ml
Mineral mix **
Molybdenum 500 mcg./ml
Pantothenic acid ("B-5") 250 mg./ml

** Mineral mix formulation: Copper 1 mg./ml, chromium 50 mcg./ml, manganese 100 mcg./ml, molybdenum 250 mg./ml, selenium 200 mcg./ml, vanadium 100 mcg./ml, zinc 5 mg./ml.