• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extreme mental exhaustion after working...

penny

Yeah, I'd think salt and water loading and compression stockings would be the 'easiest' (i.e. not involving a doctor) first line to try. Though compression socks/hose (you might need ones that are thigh or waist high) aren't really easy to get on ;) Then there are a number of prescription meds. Lots of good info here at PR about various treatments.

soxfan

Thanks for the ideas...I am seeing the doctor on Thursday and will talk this over with him. I am taking notes on all that I have read here and hopefully he can come up with something for me to try or else I think I will have to quit working even though it is only a couple days a week...the suffering afterwards just isn't worth it.

I drink alot of water..usually smartwater but I don't think it is enough. Usually just 1 liter while at work and at home I drink just regular water. I think I will start drinking first thing in the morning..I do drink some to take my thyroid and cortef but only a glass full.

I do crave salt...have for years. Lots to talk to the doctor about....will let ya know what he thinks.

Anyone with ideas on how to calm down my body...what do you all take when you are overwired?

penny

Just on the salt front, I take 3g of salt (in tablet form) a day plus pretty heavily salting my foods. I think this helps. I can usually gauge whether I'm getting too much salt (rarely) by how it tastes to me, if it tastes good = then I'm not over doing it, if it starts tasting bad = I cut back a bit (again, this has only happened a couple of times). There's no way I could get enough salt just via food, I have to use the tablets.

No real ideas on calming down, I haven't gotten the adrenaline/wired/tired stuff in a while and I think even when I did I didn't have a ready remedy. Reducing stimulation (sound/light) makes sense, but I also vaguely remember watching a lot of formulaic familiar tv on netflix (on my phone, in bed, in the dark) or formulaic familiar books on tape and I found this soothing, I guess because it distracted me from some of the unpleasant body sensations? Good luck!

soxfan

thanks penny....speaking about the salt thing...I have been in the process of trying to lose some weight and have cut way back on some of the "bad" foods I use to eat. Thinking back they were mainly salty foods like chips...nuts..etc. you know the stuff you aren't supposed to eat but do anyway.
Now I am wondering if cutting out all that salt has had an effect on the way I have been feeling after work. I mean I always don't feel great but for the past month it has been so much worse.

I have been eating alot of salad for lunch and not much snacking inbetween. I am thinking this could be part of the problem as I crave salt but haven't been eating any of my favorite salty snacks. It has helped me lose 9 lbs though!

I guess I will try listening to my ipod when I am feeling extremely over-wired. I have alot of calming music on there and maybe it will help some...thanks for the suggestions.

There are many things and meds that can help OI or make it worse.
However the only thing I'd add to what has been said is about the electrical current pains you mentioned.
This may be restless leg and your muscles hurting, in which case magnesium in spray form rubbed in may help.
However it could be that something is trapped in your spine that is causing the tingling. Maybe keep an eye on it or ask an osteopath for their opinion.
Sometimes if something is 'out' in the back it can make the front stomach area hurt imo.

A x

soxfan

I have neuropathy in my left calf and foot....due to whatever infection hit me in 2004. I had a sleep study done and didn't have RLS. I take neurontin occasionally when the pain is really bad. I also have 24/7 muscle twitching in that calf. It was my first symptom 9 years ago....

Seven7

Seven
Careful w music when tired (it stimulates the brain and tires u more). When I am at work and get tired, I get my break and laydown in my car, if it is cold or too hot I turn car on for a bit for climate control. I keep a blanket and pillow and eye cover in the back seat. I lay for 10 or 15 minutes and that does the trick.

The issue in my case is OI, so by laying down I help the blood to get back to the brain and the fatigue gets better (that was before I discovered midodrine!!).

I am full time and all steam now, even though Dr told me I do not have POTs (but I think I do based on results), I have bad OI and by treating this I have solved most of the issues. Try to see an electrophisiologyst and get a list of OI meds and See if you can get that under control. It was life changing for me.

soxfan

Thank you Inester7....I am fairly certain now after reading all these posts that OI is my problem at work. I can't imagine anything else that could make me feel so exhausted and wired. I have no problems with concentration....thinking...doing my job but I do feel that standing on my feet for that length of time is the culprit.
I get along great with my doctor and we can talk about anything and he will listen and try anything to help me feel better.
I will let you all know after my appointment tomorrow what we decide on.

Was it difficult to find the right dose of midodrine? My husband is a pharmacist so he is familiar with alot of these drugs. I would be sooooo elated if I can feel better after working...I don't want to have to give up the job.

You are right about the music as there have been times when I couldn't even stand listening to my relaxation music at a very low level....Maybe I will stick to just laying in the dark and quiet room. Thanks again!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I will try anything to relieve the over stressed...over stimulation I feel after being on my feet for a work shift. Anyone with ideas...it can be RX or herbal...
Try Calms Forte by Hyland’s. It is a herbal combo that is labeled as a sleep aid but the directions say that it can also be used as a relaxant. Maybe take it with some lavender chamomile tea after work. You can also take it during work to try to prevent/reduce the over-stimulation.

I drink salt water made with both sodium and potassium salt. Like Penny, I can tell how much I need by how good it tastes to me. I used to do the same thing with Gatorade, but it is more expensive and has more sugar. Even before I was ill, I only liked Gatorade when I needed it. I did a lot of outside work which meant a lot of sweating in the summer then.

Maybe you should change the color of your Sox. {Sorry, couldn't resist!}

penny

You are right about the music as there have been times when I couldn't even stand listening to my relaxation music at a very low level....Maybe I will stick to just laying in the dark and quiet room. Thanks again!

Yeah, from what I've seen on these boards I think my 'watching tv = relaxing' isn't 'normal', so odds are that's not something that would help - and oddly I find music much more draining/stressful than a quiet murder mystery (of the tv or book on tape variety). Weird, I know :)

I hope the dr's appt goes well!

soxfan

Had my appt. this morning and it went really well. I told him all that was going on and he agreed with me that is definitely could be an OI problem.
He gave me propranolol 60 mg to start with and up it if I don't think it it enough. I took one today before working and I still feel horrible tonight.
I don't want to get discouraged yet because I only took one and it didn't help. He wants me to wait a week before upping the dose.

He also wants me to take my blood pressure at work when I feel the sweating coming on.

So that is the plan for now and see what happens. I
I work in a pharmacy and we do sell Hylands products so I will check that out. Will let you know how it goes...I hope it helps or I am going to be really upset ....

L'engle

moogle
Standing is much worse than light walking for me. Working that requires both standing and being mentally 'on' is about the worst thing for me. I think it upsets your system and then even when you go to lying down there is a lag before your body returns to normal. A very painful unpleasant lag that can last a long time, unfortunately.

soxfan

I am right there with you L'engle on this one....I totally agree with what you wrote. It totally upsets my entire system and takes a long time to settle it back down and it is a most unpleasant journey....