• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

interstitial cystitis

place

Be Strong!
I have looked in the forums and there is no thread for this topic alone....

I have been battling a bad case of ic . It's been 4 weeks of off and on symptoms. I can't shake it. Tested negative for uti.

I have tried fish oil and Advil and rest but as soon as I start to pick up my normal routine, I'm back where I started within 24 hours.

Just took turmeric. Not sure if it will work....

Is it inflammation that causes it?

If so what kind?

Any suggestions would be fantastic!!!!!

Sea

I'm sorry you suffer with this place. I don't think it is understood yet why it happens although it is unfortunately one of the conditions that has some link with ME/CFS

My daughter who is now 15 has suffered with multiple episodes of this since she was 3. It can come from inflammation or it can be neuropathic. There is some evidence that it can be autoimmune and for some be related to mast cell issues. if mast cells are involved then an antihistamine can be helpful.

For some people various foods or food chemicals are triggers - common ones are tomatoes, citrus, coffee, alcohol, high acid foods, spices and artificial sweeteners. After doing an elimination diet with my daughter for migraine and staying away from her migraine triggers she has had less trouble with the IC as well.

My daughter has found cranberry tablets to be somewhat helpful when she feels an episode starting.

Ema

place, IC is one of the most difficult and trying symptoms I've ever dealt with and I understand your pain and frustration completely.

I take a supplement by Designs for Health called UT Synergy when I feel any urinary symptoms. I take 3 capsules 3x/day for a few days and that generally seems to take care of things for a while anyway. It's very pricey but I wouldn't be without it. It contains D-Mannose which some people have found helpful by itself and that would be a cheaper option.

Another remedy I have found useful is Solidago by Nestmann. It is officially for the kidneys but I have found it soothing to the bladder as well.

Another option is a supplement called Cystoprotek...I take Neuroprotek by the same company and like it quite a bit. It helps with inflammation.

I know of people that get Valium suppositories that are inserted into the urethra. I think this can also be formulated with a syringe and used that way. I've not tried it but it might help for spasms. Something to talk about with your doctor anyway...

Hang in there!

Ema

Wayne

Any suggestions would be fantastic!!!!!

Talk to this woman (Andrea) at the evenbetternow.com website: 520-877-2637 -- She's recovered from both CFS and IC, and now runs this website. I've talked to her on the phone, and found her to be very easy to visit with.

andrea_feb2010_home-pg.jpg

Here's a link for a section entitled, "Books for Interstitial Bladder Health"

I dealt with a moderate amount of IC for a couple years or so. When I tried minute amount of MMS (chlorine dioxide), my IC went away.

Good luck!

Wayne

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
The ICA has a great website HERE
Tons of information and tips --It can be a little overwhelming though as far as neuro cog stuff goes though. I get the newsletter -- quarterly I think. Easier. and they have info packets you can send for -- easier for me to read off screen.

Have you been to a urologist ? Finding a good one near you to work with is important. I was dx'd back in the late 80's -- directly linked to alpha interferon injections. DMSO cocktail installations helped a bit. Not sure many docs use those any more -- there are better options. They are certainly worth seeing someone to find out what might help you. Make sure you find a IC savvy doc though ( the ICA support groups can help with that)
Mine was constant and unrelenting for years. Over the past few years, for reasons unknown, it has calmed down and I get flares a few times a year. The base symptoms are there but mild.

What helps me during flares :
Constant sipping of (filtered)water. It helps flush out the inflammation, it is also less painful to have something in there when you have the constant urge then to be empty, imho.
Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride ( brand names uristat, AZO) sold OTC will numb the inside of your bladder. Gives me some good relief for some of the symptoms.
ice pack on the lower pelvic region can help spasms. ( if you are in a cold climate, use a heat pack somewhere else -- ie shoulders) to counter act the cold effect on your whole system)
Stay away from foods that are high acid, carbonated, high potassium, caffeine, and spicy. In other words a bland diet.
Keep a journal of what you eat, how frequent you go, etc... can help you figure out triggers and good info to share with dr.

It's a horrible disease. Sorry you are suffering.

ETA: the suggestion of anti-histimines. It can help some people, others it can make worse. Just thought you should be prepared for that. Best .

Asklipia

No recurrence for a couple of years after a double approach :
(1) - Bains Dérivatifs http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/bains-dérivatifs.15574/
(2) - and following every day the exercise program in "Heal pelvic Pain" http://www.amazon.com/Heal-Pelvic-Pain-Strengthening-Incontinence/dp/0071546561
I believe there is a build-up in tissues of something very toxic. After a few days things are better, but it took me 25 days of the exercise to feel there was a definite change. I did 120 days of the first series, only the first three weeks were difficult, after that it was exhilarating liberation towards a new feeling in my body. I did only once a day (they say that you can do up to 4 times). After the 121st day I just added the second series. Total I did 240 days of the first deries and 120 days of the second series. This has changed my body and my life.
Bains Dérivatifs helped from the start.
Lots of good wishes!
Asklipia

Asklipia

Also I forgot a (3) : Riboflavin supplementation.
A study has found that consequent Riboflavin supplementation increases the percentage of Fluoride excreted in faeces compared to that excreted in urine.
http://jdr.sagepub.com/content/52/4/843.full.pdf

I suppose if it does this, it gives relief to the bladder and urethra and adjoining tissues.

While doing (1) and (2), I also did (3).
Since my IC started after Fluoride exposure, it could well all be linked.

place

Be Strong!
Thank you everyone! The turmeric has helped but I have also been resting due to a really good book : ). I will try some of suggestions and report back. As always you folks are the best! Thanks!!!!!!!

place

Be Strong!
I wanted to update. While having issues with ic I also had some weird sinus issue with great fatigue. All went away when I used misprision in my nose wash for a week. I swear, everything is leaked to my sinuses.

place

Be Strong!
Update to the update..... I finally realized my sinus bottle had some kind of mold growing in it. got new one, and all is well. I swear, the stuff we have to go through!!!

xchocoholic

The low oxalate diet helps me everytime. I've tried going back on high ox foods while variety of treatments
but the pain always returns. I suspect my body collects oxalates in my pelvic region.

Fwiw, b2 makes mine worse. So does azo cranberry without the probiotics. The azo w pro helps.

Thanks for the new ideas tho. Mannose is on my list.

Wayne

The low oxalate diet helps me everytime. I've tried going back on high ox foods while variety of treatments but the pain always returns. I suspect my body collects oxalates in my pelvic region.

I too have found high oxalate foods to make my bladder area sensitive, and always notice when I eat more than a moderate amount of spinach. Here's a link to a short article on oxalates:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=48

Asklipia

I did not know there was a company supplying Oxalobacter Formigenes. Good news.
Some time ago Catherine Tamaro included these bacteria in her Vitamin K protocol for autistic children.
Oxalobacter Formigenes is supposed to be plentiful in cabbage leaves, those outside which have turned floppy and are cut off by the greengrocer. With a carrot and an apple if you make a juice twice a week you are supposed to have your dose.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/VitaminK/message/13379

Now I think that if your cabbage has been covered with PAA (paracetic acid), which is allowed even in organic products, there is little chance of finding Oxalobacter there.
Be well!
Asklipia

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
The low oxalate diet helps me everytime. I've tried going back on high ox foods while variety of treatments
but the pain always returns. I suspect my body collects oxalates in my pelvic region.

Fwiw, b2 makes mine worse. So does azo cranberry without the probiotics. The azo w pro helps.

Thanks for the new ideas tho. Mannose is on my list.

Just a word of caution on the Mannose. It can cause intestinal symptoms -- gas, bloating, etc..
I would start at a low dose and try and work your way up.
I didn't help me and I had too much intestinal SEs, but I have heard from others that it has helped.
I hope you are one of them.

xchocoholic

On the company providing o. Forminges, I read on the tryinglowoxalate board that it wasn't, what's
the word ?, uh! It's too early for me. Shoot. Well it didn't replenish like it should.

The reason this bacteria isn't readily available is that it's hard to grow outside of it's natural environment.
Recent info states that other bacteria can break up oxalates too.

Thanks for the mannose warning. I'll go slow.

Zzzzzzzz ... X

Hip

Calcium citrate supplements, taken with food, help prevent the oxalates from being absorbed.

John H Wolfe

Calcium citrate supplements, taken with food, help prevent the oxalates from being absorbed.
Good call

May be best to avoid oxalate foods in general too OP as calcium oxalate that forms in muscle tissues e.g. when a patient has a low mag:cal ratio (common in PWME according to the likes of Myhill) is theoretically linked with myalgia/FM

WellBladder.com: "Experienced IC patients are usually careful to eliminate “extreme” foods like coffee, vinegar, soy sauce, and alcohol, in favor of bland, neutral, and non-acidic foods"

Is it inflammation that causes it?
IC has been (theoretically) linked with autoimmunity, neurological disorder, and mast cell activation (the bladder is packed full of mast cells!). Unfortunately many, including myself, feel there is often a role for each of these in ME/CFS, and hence if you have IC too there may be also be a role for each here too

WellBladder.com: "In some people, chronic inflammation and accompanying irritation may indicate the existence of an autoimmune condition like celiac disease"

My major allergy is grass pollen, so I avoid most grass pollen family foods (especially wheat, and by extension, gluten). I get seasonal sleep disturbance around this time of year that I associate with increased water intake and increased exposure to allergens (hay fever), and in the past I have had one or two other symptoms that correlate with IC

Personally I take EPA/GLA/Omega 3, NAC, turmeric, and zinc routinely anyway, which have inflammation modulatory, and reparatory effects. On top of that, to manage nocturnal bladder discomfort/diuresis I manage my evening water intake quite carefully, supplement with a little salt to aid systemic water retention, and use a nasal spray and take a fraction of an anti-histamine before bed:

Hydroxyzine has been recommended on IC forums as an antihistamine that provides some relief from IC symptoms (noted by people who note allergies similar to mine e.g. hayfever, dust, food sensitivities). Not sure one can get it over the counter in the UK but I should find out and mention it to the doc

Glucosamine & Chondroitin are supposed to be handy for healing the bladder too, although watch out if you have shellfish allergy

I also had some weird sinus issue with great fatigue
If you suffer with sinus congestion type problems again I would recommend the regular use of manual lymphatic drainage: 'nasal release' (1-2 mins top and bottom, daily) and therapeutic application of things like menthol rub/gum

Hope this helps :)