• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

mind sharing your rs7794745 result from 23andme? Connected to autism and ADHD

searcher

Hi all-
I was researching autism (which seems to have some relation to CFS, at least in terms of methylation and sensitivity to sound/visual stimuli) and found that rs7794745 is one of the most researched SNPs related to autism. Most people with the relatively common risky version (TT) don't have Autism, but being heterozygous or homozygous for the SNP does make people more susceptible to expressing autistic traits. Even people without autism have differences in brain structure if they have this SNP, with a more developed frontal cortex but less connections to other regions of the brain (for more info check out http://healthland.time.com/2010/11/03/study-some-autistic-brains-really-are-wired-differently/ or you can see the studies by searching for the gene, CNTNAP2)

I am curious about people's SNPs and whether they think they had any ADHD/autistic tendencies before they got CFS. https://www.23andme.com/you/explorer/snp/?snp_name=rs7794745 should show you your value if you use 23andme.

I am homozygous for the risk polymorphism (TT) and had slight ADHD tendencies before getting sick, but was ok with stimuli and social interactions before getting sick. My current half-baked theory for my CFS onset is that mold toxins/air pollution caused additional damage in my limbic system and/or frontal lobe which tipped me over the edge, and my mast cell problems/ NK cell dysfunction is downstream of brain damage. Theory subject to change as always and specific to my own situation which involved an insidious onset....

Thanks everyone! The ability to do citizen research on PR is fantastic.

anne_likes_red

Hi :)
My rs7794745 is AT.
I had some asd type traits prior to infectious onset. (Synesthesia, and in short..a different way of learning.)
Anne.

adreno

PR activist
I'm heterozygous. Some focus issues and sensitivity towards stimuli prior to onset of ME/CFS. Interesting stuff.

I am AT and ASD runs in my family. I think I had ASD traits before I got sick. I think I was predisposed to getting ME/CFS.

searcher

Thanks for the responses everyone! Obviously this is just one SNP of many that predispose people to autism, but it is very interesting to hear people's thoughts and results.

anne_likes_red - that's really interesting that you have Synesthesia; I've always found it fascinating and I bet can lead to a deeper appreciation of the world, although it must be tough to be in a place with a ton of stimuli.

I've looked at CFS research (as scant as it is) but the ones that research SNPs don't appear to look at this gene or the methylation-related ones as candidates. I could have missed a study though, especially since they aren't all open-access.

http://eenews.net/public/Greenwire/2013/01/15/2 is an interesting article on potential environmental triggers for autism. I've read some of the referenced research from UC Davis, but I thought this was a good overview. I know I am not saying anything new, but I do think it's possible that a subset of us got CFS when we experienced the inflammatory conditions that can trigger autism, but at a later age. There really seems to be a lot of overlap and obviously a lot of the treatments people are trying are similar.

drex13

I am TT and my child is AT.

AT ? Is that correct ? I thought A=T and G=C. If you're TT that would also be AA, so you're child would be AG or TC.

I am homozygous, AA (TT). I have two children (of 4) who are on the ASD. One also has ADD and the other also has an anxiety disorder. I would have said that I did not have any ASD tendencies as a kid. I was athletic and involved for the most part. But, since having kids of my own, and now recognizing ASD signs, I can see where I have and probably have always had some Aspy type behavior and ADD. (My wife also points it out to me).

LaurieL

I'm AT.
So to clarify:
- TT is homozygous?
- AT is heterozygous?

I've always been a little obsessive compulsive / perfectionist.

No, AT is TT. When converting genetic data from one source to another, A=T, C=G. 23andme uses a mirror image where as other genetic testing services may not. This facilitates interpreting the A=T, C=G and is why you will hear references to "23andme speak", or "Yasko speak".

TT, AA, AT= homozygous

I apologize for any part I played in contributing to this confusion.

Laurie

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I am TT
I am homozygous for the risk polymorphism (TT) and had slight ADHD tendencies before getting sick, but was ok with stimuli and social interactions before getting sick. My current half-baked theory for my CFS onset is that mold toxins/air pollution caused additional damage in my limbic system and/or frontal lobe which tipped me over the edge.

I am TT, and can relate to the above regarding toxins tipping me over the edge. I had VERY good concentration before CFS, and still have some of this on my good days (after I get halfway decent sleep!). I used to be much more perfectionistic and much too clean! But the exhaustion of this illness definitely "cured me" of that.

PS After re-reading all the posts above... I am definitely confused. o_O
Please clarify... which combo indicates the greatest autism risk... TT or AA or AT?

roxie60

I'm AA, still have no clue with discussion if that means I'm possibly ADHD/Aspy? Would explain a lot if I am. So AA and TT and AT mean the same thing??? No wonder KI cant get my brain around this stuff. I'm AA in 23andMe, anyone want to give their interpretation, I'm just searching for understanding and figuring out risk alleles has always been my challenge. I can maybe see AA and TT being the same, are they both the risk alleles? TIA